• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX
    Garage View Garage

I bought my rex for $900 in April and from what I've found, I think I might of over paid lol. But these things are difficult to find on the central coast of california. I originally got it because I needed a gas saver and I had one of these before a few years back and I loved it. But I also knew when I bought this one that there was going to be carb problems..don't they all lol.

IMG_20140507_135350906_zps85bca79b.jpg

Eventually I was able to get it to smog after putting another $500 into it. I did a full tune up, had to replace a section of the rotted exhaust, oh ya and the $230 in back fees the guy didn't tell me about...... But the entire time I had the car it had a misfire at idle. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. Replaced about a miles worth of vac lines, rebuilt the carb three times. I just gave up on the misfire and just set the idle a little higher. Im sure your wondering how I got it to pass smog, honestly im not sure how it passed either lol. I guess I have a really good cat. One day I came across this amazing website and saw all kinds of forums about devacs. then i found DarkHand's detailed devac forum. So I decided to go for it.

IMG_20140613_100818446_zps447d4111.jpg

This is the finished product. I was surprisingly simple and I only spent $30 on the whole mod. I had to buy a bunch of vacuum caps and a manual choke cable.

IMG_20140613_100842874_zps72154443.jpg

IMG_20140613_100857973_zps3f5b965a.jpg

IMG_20140613_101422858_HDR_zpsd90e8587.j

You can see on this pic, i had to plug one of the valves but i ran out of caps so I used a little screwdriver.

IMG_20140613_100831488_HDR_zps1889ce03.j

Here You can see how the choke is hooked up. I used one of the vacuum line brackets to hold the choke cable in place.

IMG_20140613_101815555_zpsd3c1e6fe.jpg

I have the choke lever on the blank slot next to the radio

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions

AJ

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx si, 86 crx dx (deceased)
thats a slici choke, nice one!

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    Garage View Garage
Thank you. Felt all proud lol. This is my first forum post.

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

Good stuff!  I've heard such 50/50 reports on devac'ing, so it's always nice to see a success story.  I didn't want to mess with it at all, so I made the smart dumb move and decided to convert it from carb'd to fuel injected.  

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    Garage View Garage
How much of a gain did you get from the fuel injection? And what parts were involved?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

How much of a gain did you get from the fuel injection? And what parts were involved?

I'm still in the middle of it, so I can't say for certain.  Stock for stock, the carb'd motor is supposed to make 60'ish and the fuel injected is supposed to make 90'ish, so that's what I'm going off of.  There's a decent bit involved and plenty or write-ups on the site that cover it.  I'm swapping over motors, transmission, ECU, wiring harness, fuel tank, fuel lines, header and obviously the intake manifold.  Mounts are reportedly the same, so the only custom work will be adding a bracket on the firewall for the fuel filter and drilling a hole in the firewall for the added fuel line.   

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    Garage View Garage
Sounds like a lot of work. But its always worth it.

phenams

Do u have any more pics or a detailed post. Cuz i devac mine n she was good but kept on clogging its self. N i would just swap carbs. But this last time she mix alot of gas into the oil dont know how it happen... so i got a shop to rebuild me one of the spares. But i tried loseing up all the adjustement screws on the carb n cant get below 3400r rpms the choke stays wide open all the never closes. N where can i get a manul choke?

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    Garage View Garage
I picked up the choke cable at Napa auto parts for like $16. How on earth Are you getting fuel in the oil??? Only thing I can think of is the diaphragm in your fuel pump has a hole in it allowing fuel to into the cylinder head, therefore your oil. The high revs issue something is probably stuck. You should take the carb back to the shop that rebuilds them and tell them about the high idle. Clogging?? All I can say is get your self an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb.

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    Garage View Garage
Unfortunately I only took pics after I finished.

phenams

Yeah idk how i got gas into the oil but il check the diaphragm. I dont want to return to that shop because when i took her she was running and when i picked They had mess with the timing n cud put her back together so she can run. They didn't even charge me because they cudnt get get to turn over,so i tow her back to my house n called my buddy to check the timing.ni had replaced both fuel filters

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Do u have any more pics or a detailed post. Cuz i devac mine n she was good but kept on clogging its self. N i would just swap carbs. But this last time she mix alot of gas into the oil dont know how it happen... so i got a shop to rebuild me one of the spares. But i tried loseing up all the adjustement screws on the carb n cant get below 3400r rpms the choke stays wide open all the never closes. N where can i get a manul choke?

You might have a vacuum leak if your rpms are that high man. That would be the first thing I'd look for. Marvel Mystery oil is supposed to help clean out carbs, clean carbon out of the cylinders, unstick rings. I'd also try some of that. But if something in your carb is wrong internally that's not going to fix it. If you don't have to pass DEQ I absolutely loved the Weber!

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    Garage View Garage
After doing a devac, I'm pretty sure I can imitate smog legal emissions while having it devac'ed. I was thinking all the smog tech does is check and see if the smog components are hooked up and on these old cars all they can do is a visual inspection because of no OBD connector.

ajvandell

• Granny
  • Pip
    Garage View Garage
What if you rerouted a couple of the vac lines that are actually of use in a devac and on all the other connections that would be capped you leave the original vac line hooked up but just stuffed a small ball bearing or something to plug the line as if it was capped. And if your car runs decent enough to pass smog in the first place the devac shouldn't have that much of an impact on tailpipe emissions. It was just a thought being that I live in Cali.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

Cali is the least car friendly state around, meaning it has thee worst laws. You might be able to get it through but I would count on it. The smog techs there are mechanics, here in OR they are just average joes. I don't even have to go through a visual inspection, just a sniffer test. Best advice I can give you is when you do have to go through DEQ again is if you get dinged for not having your boxes, install your boxes, hook up you lines, but block all the lines off with ball bearings, pieces of bolts, ect. so your still in Devac mode.