Lsd!

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '85 Honda CRX DX with "stuff"
Alright guys.  I'm in search of a limited slip for my '85 Si tranny.  This summer I'm going to be dropping a Clutchmaster's stage 3 into the animal, and I figured I might as well get an LSD and swap my trannies all at one shot, so I don't have to take apart the drive-train more than once.

Here's the catch:  I really want a quaife gear-type LSD, however after e-mailing quaife directly, they informed me that they don't carry/make LSDs for cars older than 1988 [nevermind the fact that they make a ton of LSDs for 60's MGs...].  So the only LSD I've found so far is a clutch-type from OPMmotorsports [at nearly the same price a quaife would go for if they offered it].

The request:  Does anyone know any other companies that make suitible LSDs for our cars at a reasonable price? [less than $900].  I would really prefer to buy new, but I would also consider buying a gear-type mugen or quaife LSD in used condition if I could have nice quality pictures of it before hand.

Help me out, school's out soon, and the clutch is already telling me it's time to change  ;)

Harry
-Twin DCOE 40's still humming along

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The only other option is Phantom Grip, which is very similar to the OPM, which goes for about $500 CAN (about $335 US).
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
QUOTE (rpr @ Mar. 31 2002,20:09)
The only other option is Phantom Grip, which is very similar to the OPM, which goes for about $500 CAN (about $335 US).

The phantom grip is a couple pieces of aluminum with 4 springs in the middle... if that's all there is to the OPM LSD, I'd rather break out the arc welder and spool the front end....

Harry

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That's pretty much what the OPM one is, although they claim theirs has 'clutch-type' material on the outer sides, versus the Phantom Grip. Is that worth double the money? Not for me.

BigGuy

• The Bean Counter
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Porsche 944, Chrysler Intrepid(Big car for BigGuy),soon to build Locost SuperSeven
If you didn't know, our Mercury Tracer had a Phantom grip and it hooked hard.  Smoked both slicks and did a best of 13.4@103mph in the quartermile  And the're apparently better for autocross than for drag racing!!  If you look at the differant types of differentials, one type actually uses the same concept as a Phantom grip.  They have a web site also.  Can't be beat for value!!
"If you're gonna think, might as well think BIG!!"

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
I've looked at the phantom grip already.  If it works well, great, but I'm still not impressed by it since I could make one myself with some time and billet aluminum.

I have a friend at a shop looking into a Kaaz for me.  I would really prefer a gear type [no maintainence], but if I must, I'll use the Kaaz clutch type before looking at the Phantom grip or OPM any more.

Harry

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Unless you plan on doing an engine swap, I don't see a Kaaz in your future...the only application that I can find is for DOHC VTEC  engines. Well, trannies, at any rate.

Andy: the one you are thinking of is the OPM unit.

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
The guy looking for me is going to call them directly.  Apparently they do some IT racing, so there may be a slim chance.

Harry

rpr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
That would be pretty sweet. Even better would be a sequential gearbox...  :0

Gasoline Fumes

I remember reading somewhere that Quaife will make the diffs, but they want to make 10-20 of them. It's always good to have a few spares. smile.gif

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
Hmm... they neglected to mention this when I e-mailed them...  Think we can get enough interest?  I really want a Quaife  :)

Harry

Gasoline Fumes

I found the place where I read it. It came up a couple of times on the CRX Resource Forum.
when are we going to get enough First Genners together to get Quaife to produce a diff for us?? I've heard the minimums are around 10 units at less that $1k each or something like that...

Meanwhile, I'm sticking with what's working and available... a Phantom Grip...
Neither company makes LSDs for the 1G Cars. However, I contacted Quaife USA about doing a production run for our cars. I was amazed when they said Sure...but, You would need to send them a transmission and find 10-15 guys who would be willing to pay for an LSD up front. The cost they quoted me was $850-$950. Pretty good if you ask me. I didn't have the time so I searched for a Mugen and came up big about a year ago here on the crx resource. Lucky Me!

Bullet

• Official Moped Nitrous Tester
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: '03 Evo VIII and a '79 Malibu
    • Image Gallery
Can't you just weld some parts together, then you will have a homemade LSD?  would be a lot cheaper. biggrin.gif
-Scotty O
'03 Evo VIII Apex Silver
Mods- Yes ;+)

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
Hmm... I'm going to make a post on CRXmk1 and see just how much interest there is.  If we can get enough interest, I'll be willing to ship my Si tranny to them to prototype an LSD on so that we can get a bunch made.  I'm also going to e-mail quaife again to find out specifics as to how many orders we need to get a limited run.

Harry

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Bullet @ April 02 2002,10:08)
Can't you just weld some parts together, then you will have a homemade LSD?  would be a lot cheaper. biggrin.gif

That would be a spooled front end, not quite the same  ;)

I re-emailed quiafe, I'll wait to see what they say before saying that we can definately get them.  Or I may call them later today.

Harry