Just Picked Up An '85 Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

a4x0n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 1987 CRX DX
About a week ago I picked up a black 1985 Si for $75! The interior is gutted, and it's leaking oil from somewhere, and I'm having to jump through hoops for the title, but otherwise the body is really clean! smile.gif Well, I drove it home 40 miles without a seatbelt, and it's kinda scary. So the other night I decided to attach the seatbelt (only has 1 seat installed) and the thing is stuck! The top bolt is on, but I can't seem to get the seatbelt to extract any, are there any tricks to this? I tried the other seatbelt and it's the same deal. So I'm wondering if anyone here knows how the seatbelts work.. if they've had this problem before, and what I'm missing, etc..

Thanks smile.gif

Oh yeah, there is a big metal box where my passenger's side seat is, with a ton of wiring coming out of it. What the heck is that?

I hope to have pics up soon, I'm so excited!

Another question... my DD 87 DX is squeaking all the time when I turn the wheel.. is there a how-to to grease my tie-bars/rack?

Edited by a4x0n, 25 May 2007 - 06:22 PM.

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
The big metal box is called the "ECU"

Vicious

um i think if you take it to HONDA they fix your seat belts for free since it's a safety concern and it's good for their rep

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
honda seat belts are lifetime warranty. take it to your local dealer and they can fix it. thats if the parts are still available. if not your SOL.

dave

Vicious

haha i knew it and good luck

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

PowerWheels86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CIVIC Si
    Garage View Garage
hey would they fix those seatbelts if the thread is coming apart? also... is it a straight swap for like the same colour? or can i request a different colour? like say red?
Dark Side of the Power........
Posted Image

Wheels

QUOTE (RARECRX @ Jun 26 2009, 06:55 PM)
The ONLY BMW's I like are (Beautiful Mexican Women)

lil buddy

• obsessive compulsive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 civic si Resto Rod,85 civic DX,84 CRX 1500 DX, 79 XL 75,69 Z50 mini trail, 03 Pilot and my 2013 ride on
QUOTE (PowerWheels86 @ May 25 2007, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey would they fix those seatbelts if the thread is coming apart? also... is it a straight swap for like the same colour? or can i request a different colour? like say red?

yes if the belt was coming apart it would be covered. requesting a diff. color i think would be pushing it. you would be lucky if they have the correct one for your car.

dave

HellFire-

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Ford Fiesta MK3 1.4i And a Honda CRX 1.5 1985
had the same problem with mine when I installed them after they had been off the car for a while.

Basicly (??) if you hold the "big box" upside down or tilt it a little too much to the side, there is a little "ball" inside that start moving, and when it moves, the seatbelt automatically looks it self. I think this is because if you crash and flip you car on the roof, the seatbelt would save you from slamming into the roof...

So, hold it the right way and shake it a little, try turning it upside down etc.. It should come around. Mine works perfectly these days.. smile.gif

Sorry for my bad English, in lack of words I just write words I know and put " around them wink.gif

-Vegard

a4x0n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si, 1987 CRX DX
Thanks, i'm at an anime convention right now, but I'll try that tomorrow. Shaking the seatbelt up and down? That sounds promising.. I don't think it's a good idea to drive it to the honda dealer.. in broad daylight etc.. with '04 registration..

btw nice hijack powerwheels tongue.gif

Uhm.. are the SI fenders different than DX/HF? mine are annihilated.. same with the front header/valance

Edited by a4x0n, 26 May 2007 - 04:40 AM.

Dohc_87hatch

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 civic hatch
    Garage View Garage
wasnt there a recall along time ago on the release button breaking? sorry its a little off the subject but i noticed mine is broken.. could i get that fixed?

stevo911_

• I'm Canadian, Eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 2000 Civc Ltd Edition w B16a swap
anything that effects the functionality of the seatbelt is subject to replacement under warranty

bebo408

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85SI
quick question, does warranty affect non-original owners? I bought my car from salvaged off a thrift store auction and rescued it

Edited by bebo408, 27 May 2007 - 12:39 PM.

duner

• What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
QUOTE (bebo408 @ May 27 2007, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
quick question, does warranty affect non-original owners? I bought my car from salvaged off a thrift store auction and rescued it

Bebo, i dont know about the warrenty.......but yes you sure as hell rescued that rex!!!! very nice, wanna sell it???
Living the Air Force Dream!

Vouch Thread

hoopty dx

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 Civic, 92 civic, 06 taco
    • Image Gallery
SHHEET you got them special bumpers and louvers
QUOTE (Ghost-One @ Jun 22 2004, 06:08 PM)
They got that engine out withtheir mighty facial hair cant you see

Team BUrnOUt Member # 3

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
seatbelts are covered regardless of what owner you are.. BUT there are some technicalities...

1. the vehicle cannot be crashed or altered for racing use.. and if the interior is stripped they will count this as damage or tampering/theft recovery and not repair them..

2. they have to deem the seatbelts as factory defect.. (more than likely they will lie and charge you $100 for looking at them..)..

^^^ this is what I was told when I took mine in for repair on my passenger seatbelt..