Problems?

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

xxine3dmon3yxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX DX
What is the worst problem anyone has ever had with thier motor? I mean biggest, badest, worstest porblem ever. And if it is a blown motor (i know this one is the badest!), how did u blow it?

problems with mine...rad fan broke, car overheated, blew a rad hose and then i lost brake pressure...all the the same time. It was really scary!!!

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
hehe my exhaust valve broke off at the base of the stem and fell onto the piston destroyed the head the block the piston. lucky i was just taking off from a red light when it happen...with a psssst then bogging then when i pulled it over a cloud of oil smoke from my tailpipes...when i tried to start the car it wouldn't turn over AT all so i tried to push start it and it just locked my front wheels up....i first i thought it was a blown head gaskit but nope the motor was gonzo

1g_rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 240SX,300ZX,WRX,CRX
My last CRX a 87 was bulletproof.. It has 250,000k on it and i beat it everyday i drove it, 7000+ Rpm was usuall and im guessing not to good for the 1.5 Carb engine lol.. Only thing that ever broke was the Waterpump and the Altinator. Miss that car.
2013 WRX
1990 240SX
1990 300ZX
1987 CRX Si

JDN14

The motor itself? Not much has gone wrong, the rest of the car however, is a different story. This holds true for my 85 Si and my 86 Si both.
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
I have had a timing belt break on the '85 Wagon 4WD, and the timing gear shear off on my wife's '85 Si. Pretty much the same results.

Worst would be the rod that went out the side of my block in my racecar. I expect it was due to oil starvation, since it had a bit of a knocking noise in hard RH turns, on the track.

http://webpages.char...s/ITAblock3.JPG
and
http://webpages.char...s/ITAblock2.JPG

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

smashfascism

• TURBO ZC!!!
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Turbo ZC, 1997 GMC Jimmy, 1991 Chevy pickup, 1989 Prelude SI, 1991 CRX HF, 1980 Chevy Stake bed (Bogger)
here it is, 1990 B16 crx, drag racing at the strip and I have a sport ECU with NO REV LIMITER, went 1st to second back to 1st (notorious 1-2-1 shift) Droped a valve into the piston at 9,000 RPMS. the valve was buried into the cylendar wall, piston and head. Then swaped it out for a B18 and used the B16 Ys1 trans, I asked my sister to fill up the trans and she filled it with motor oil.......... blew that up in a week. the Vss broke in half!!!
WTB- Turbo Parts: Turbo, Wastegate, FMIC, BOV

FS- Crx and Integra parts, lots of stuff just ask.

CRXdan

i always thought u could use motor oil with 5 speed trannies.

I blew a headgasket causing boost to enter the cooling system and shoot it all out the resevoir. Not good. (imporper headgakset installation)
I also destryoed my con and main bearings and scored teh crankshaft journal pretty bad. Loud ass knocking there. (oil stravation?, detonation no fuel managment)
Not engine realted but I blew up my tranny made about 3 4" holes. (too much power? dono that one)
Once downshifted from 5th to 2nd (on my old d15a3) and spun it to about 9000rpm, no apparent damage.
Did that to one iof my old d16a1s and cracked the clutch into pieces. Motor blew a con rod 1000kms later. Ah good times
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
Mine had a fuel starvation problem goign up a hill. It wasnt that bad but thats the worst for me. More of teh carb than the motor though

Julian

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Worst I ever done to my motor was kinda crossthread a spark plug. About a week after I got it. Neighbor came over with a rethreader and bailed me out.
Oooh, and when i broke off a few exhaust manifold studs, and after awhile I thought the best way to fix that would be to take off the head and do a headgasket/timing belt job to it. Never did get the timing back on right before I pulled the motor out wink.gif

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
three words:

fucking main seal

26 collective hours later...It might be fixed
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

xxine3dmon3yxx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX DX
QUOTE (1g_rex @ Dec 26 2004, 05:36 PM)
My last CRX a 87 was bulletproof.. It has 250,000k on it and i beat it everyday i drove it, 7000+ Rpm was usuall and im guessing not to good for the 1.5 Carb engine lol.. Only thing that ever broke was the Waterpump and the Altinator. Miss that car.

Yeah mine has that much too, 246,432 exact. it just that i bought it with that many miles, i didnt put them on. I guess the person i bought it from didnt take very good care of it mad.gif . oh well, time for a motor swap!!! biggrin.gif

lemons

• Carbs are better (lol, not really; but they sound cool)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I've buried my tach on the highway going about 80-90... i hit 2nd gear.... nice jerk forwrd and alot of back firing, car survived it quite well.
I have nothing...

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Basically, Honda engines are bullet proof as they come from the factory. If they are mantained, they will last forever. Trouble comes from abuse or lack of maintance.

Shit will happen over time, but for a 20 year old car, they are as close to problem free as you can get. You will need to replace something on a old Honda (alternator, seals, etc.) so do not complain when it happens to you.

But the basic rotating pieces will last forever is the oil is kept fresh and you do not exceed design parameters.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
my engine is cursed thats a big problem..

JDN14

Oh, and my tranny is leaking oil.

and to hi-jack for just a second, how do you know when the tranny is low on fluid, will the gears grind? Will it make some horrible noise?
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.