Mechanic's Skills....where Do You Rate?

• You cannot reply to this topic
48 replies to this topic

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
Just curious to see where we RPR folks rate our "mad wrenching skillz":

1---- I AM the return of Soichiro Honda. Like McGuyver, I can fabricate an A/C tensioner out of a wire hanger and a piece of bubblicious. I can disassemble/assemble a tranny w/ my eyes closed.

2---- I can do ANYTHING to my own car, if I have a service manual. I'm on an intimate relationship w/ most nuts and bolts of my own car. I've been known to fabricate things in a pinch, but only smaller stuff.

3--- I can read a manual and figure most things out, but require a fair amount of assistance/guidance for the big jobs.

4--- I can change my oil, etc. but often don't have much patience for small/medium sized jobs as I get pissed off very easily and resort to "HELP!"

5--- What is a wrench?

bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have been known to do my own fabbing, and have an extensive ability to zap strap anything, Have already stripped to the bone two of these cars, know them inside out, but am hindered by my lack of tools... which still has not stopped me from removing crank pulley bolts and pulling and installing engines, without a hoist. I would put myself between 1 and 2.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

DarkHand

I seem to be a 2. smile.gif Lack of tools is a problem for me as well. I just made a valve spring compressor from a C-clamp and two pieces of PVC pipe... It works great smile.gif

Edited by DarkHand, 31 March 2004 - 10:22 AM.

DarkHand

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Again, I'd say I'm a 1 on this scale as well, sadly.... smile.gif
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

87Si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I'm new to working on my car.. and I haven't taken any big chances on myself. I always have a friend nearby for the larger jobs. I'm a #3, but most of the time they are just there for moral support.. if I get stuck on somethin

Kirk
No more CRX

84bluerex

• I need more peppers!!!
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 2003 srt-4
    Garage View Garage
Ill take the 3 the las time i took apart my engine i lost many parts...
user posted image
DOWN WITH POSTWHORES!!!!!

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Awaiting Authorisation
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
I've got to be a 1 on this scale. I did EVERYTHING on my car except the paint!
Must.....go......racing.......

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
There is that one time that I pulled a 1 on my car:

I was driving along up a hill, and the next thing I know, there is no power, the motor is dead, nothing. So I flip it in neutral and pull over to the side of the road and try to restart the car, but there is no power. Fine, must be a main fuse. I go under the hood and notice that the #1 fuse is toast. Now I am 15 minutes to the hour (and have to be at work) so with no time to spare (and not being able to admit defeat) I figure I have to hardwire the thing. I have no tools handy except my ultra life-saving pocket/keychain screwdriver. I proceed to try to remove the screws, one gets stripped, the other comes loose, but I just get the screw below the one that got stripped, because its all the same, and use a piece of coathanger (or similar guage, anyways) and tie it around the screws, I've hardwired the fuse, I've got power, lets go!

I get to work, and already the metal has molten the plastic cover. Yikes. No electrical fire or smoke, so there must be a short. I think most likely its the coil, as i had a shitty aftermarket/zapstrapped unit. No time (or too lazy) I drive down to seattle shortly thereafter, still with a hardwired fuse. I make it there and back, with extra melted spots, and decide to fix the damn coil, replace the fuse, and now its fine.

Go bulldog!

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

kamikaze_fish

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '03 Nissan 350z, '06 Scion tC, 85 CRX, 85 Civic Hatchie
I'm a 3.5 almost a 4 but not totally. laugh.gif Wish I were a 1 but one day biggrin.gif
SAHCR-Saving Abused Hondas for Cleanup and Restoration - Founder
QUOTE(zakats)
my gosh thats like killing puppies and infants while burning flags all at the same time!!!!

user posted image

Tomoyo

Eh. ^^ I succeeded in rebuilding my engine's head, and later breaking the fuel pump off of it. I'll let you rate that for yourselves.
user posted image

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
Rampage,
You conquered my friend, in true MacGuyver style....WELL DONE!

bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

jonesy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx dx, 90 Skyline GTR
I guess I come in somewhere between 1 and 2... I won't let a mechanic touch my car, so all the work gets done myself. That being said, I don't have the brainpower (or desire!!)to remember everything, so a manual is still kept handy.

jonesy
85 CRX DX: 4-2-1 header, 11:1, P&P, 4 32mm mikuni's
90 Skyline GTR: Filters, I/C Hard Pipes, Downpipe, 3.5" de-catted exhaust, AVC-R, S-AFC, HKS SSQV's, and on and on...

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
At first I would have thought 2, but seeing some responses, I'll go with one.

I've got lots of quality time with my cars, including several motor and tranny rebuilds. Swapping a b16 into my buds 87 Si is also at the top of my resume, as well as 10+ swaps into newer Civics.

People come to me with their old Hondas for a reason, I guess.

But I feel short of who I would consider far greater than I, GTPILOT. Where would he be? Obviously a 1, and most likely in his own superior category...

Edited by CRXfanatic, 31 March 2004 - 12:30 PM.

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango

Lack fabrication tools, welding skills, and never touched a tranny. Otherwise I would be a straight one.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Well, if gtpilot is a 1, then I'm definitely NOT a 1...maybe 1.5 like MHR says.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"