Tires?

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

CarNutCertifies

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 71 chevy pu, 87 CRX DX"Pip squeek", 87 CRX DX "Pip Squeek II"
Ok guys need a bit of help with tires, I have three sets of wheels, One set, orginal set of honda steelies 13", and set of Phone dials, and a set of 17s, I was running the 17 have 3 new tires, I hit a pot hole and ruined my 4th tire, trouble is the tire is a Fuzion HRI and is discontinued. So wanting to keep all the tires looking the same, I am thinking of buying some for the 13s or the Phone dials. Whats a nice wide tire that will give me performance in the 13s or the 14" phone dials, I admit I am not to fond of the phone dials. Any suggestions?
87 CRX DX, "Pip Squeek"
87 CRX DX "Parts Car"
86 CRX SI "Currently being built" DD
86 CRX DX "The Project" -(retired) - stripped
71 Chevy PU
81 Chevy PU
01 Dodge Ram 1500 (sold/traded)
97 Honda prelude DD
92 Jeep Cherokee "Slug" (parts)
91 Jeep Cherokee "Slug II"
92 Ford Probe GT Turbo: it blew up, got stripped, and then crushed....back to my CRX...What was I thinking...Oh yea it was free.
Ford........At least they circled the problem...
38 Desoto 2 door sedan (a project that I will someday get around to)

exartist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
I've been searching for performance 185/60/13, 195/60/13's, etc. but haven't been able to find squat. the Yokohama Advan A048 in 185/60/13 shows up on the Yokohama website, but I can't find anyone who carries it or can get it. Other than that you are stuck with a handful of all-season tires and some competition tires (i.e., slicks) but performance 13" tires just aren't popular in the states.

185/60/14, 195/60/14, etc. offers a little more variety for performance tires: Falken Azenis; Dunlop Star Spec; and one or two others.

How I'd like to find a set of 13" A001R's or A008R's! Yeah, I know I just dated myself there...

rileyescobar

• hating white people since 1982
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 crx dx(R.I.P.) 86 civic dx(under the knife) big things to come! 87 CRX HF(Devac'd and running like a champ!)
Star specs are discontinued =(
also-I'm happy to see the yearly "where can I get good 13" tires" thread so early in 2012...lol

waiting for scott to chime in.
no,it isn't "too rusty"....now sweep it up,and let's talk price

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (rileyescobar @ Feb 17 2012, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Star specs are discontinued =(
also-I'm happy to see the yearly "where can I get good 13" tires" thread so early in 2012...lol

waiting for scott to chime in.

I'm happy to see this as well. My CF-48's are almost done and I need tires. lol

Performance 185/60/13's? Good luck, I'm just finding cheap performance all seasons... If anybody finds any. LMK for sure. I refuse to go to the 70 series tires. tongue.gif

Example On Ebay

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
My car IS NOT a daily driver (nice weekends, meets and occasional autocross) and for the street I have a set of Yokohama Advan A048 in 185/60/13 on 13x6 Momo wheels. In terms of a "street" tire, this is as close as you can get to racing tires. I got them cheap off of eBay, your Yokohama dealer can order them for you. But they are close to worthless in the wet and they wear out quickly. NOT RECOMMENDED for a daily driver.

For serious racing on the track I have a set of "take offs" (used racing tires), also Yokos but they are slicks and not DOT compliant.

For a daily driver, I would buy inexpensive tires. You are not going to be pushing the car that hard on the street (right?) and you should save your money for light wheels and quality rubber for racing (on a track!).

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

mtcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 17 2012, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My car IS NOT a daily driver (nice weekends, meets and occasional autocross) and for the street I have a set of Yokohama Advan A048 in 185/60/13 on 13x6 Momo wheels. In terms of a "street" tire, this is as close as you can get to racing tires. I got them cheap off of eBay, your Yokohama dealer can order them for you. But they are close to worthless in the wet and they wear out quickly. NOT RECOMMENDED for a daily driver.

For serious racing on the track I have a set of "take offs" (used racing tires), also Yokos but they are slicks and not DOT compliant.

For a daily driver, I would buy inexpensive tires. You are not going to be pushing the car that hard on the street (right?) and you should save your money for light wheels and quality rubber for racing (on a track!).

Scott

It5 sounds like you have bad roads where you drive. I wouldn't go to the 13's for potholed roads, they will make the situation much worse if you hit one. For the street you might want to stick with 15's or larger, they will roll over a pothole better than the 13's.
MTCRX
1987 CRX-SI
Daily driver, autocross, and track days. Fun car and getting better with each improvement learned from RPR members.

CarNutCertifies

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 71 chevy pu, 87 CRX DX"Pip squeek", 87 CRX DX "Pip Squeek II"
Yea but i dont have 15s I have 13s, 14s. and 17s. I am flexible on the size i have 4 sets of steelies laying around and i remember how that tire looked on the car and thought that if i ever went to use the steelies again i would try and find that tire size. It just looked good. The roads yes are old oklahoma country back roads depending on the direction I go its either 3miles or 5 miles til good pavement.

Scott, define drive hard........ I push my car to the limits of its ability, We have a road up here that is 14 miles long but there are 27 curves of various shapes, sizes, directions, elevation even some that change elevation rapidly in the turn. and some that change the arc of the turn.......I like to drive that road..... ;-) My gf RX8 club comes over here to prepare for their annual Texas 8 cruise over the Sisters down there.... Guess its comparable. But mostly the Rex just gets driven to work. But now that i have a prelude not so much. The Si is now a back up.

So with all that being said. is there a good 13 in another size.....or a good 14 for the phone dials.

Oh happy to make you all smile with the 13" tire thread.
87 CRX DX, "Pip Squeek"
87 CRX DX "Parts Car"
86 CRX SI "Currently being built" DD
86 CRX DX "The Project" -(retired) - stripped
71 Chevy PU
81 Chevy PU
01 Dodge Ram 1500 (sold/traded)
97 Honda prelude DD
92 Jeep Cherokee "Slug" (parts)
91 Jeep Cherokee "Slug II"
92 Ford Probe GT Turbo: it blew up, got stripped, and then crushed....back to my CRX...What was I thinking...Oh yea it was free.
Ford........At least they circled the problem...
38 Desoto 2 door sedan (a project that I will someday get around to)

Stuckey85si

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Crx Si with Blacktop D16
Throw a set of Bridgestone Potezena Pole Positions on those 14's. By far the best I have ever put on my car.

Joseph

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
QUOTE (mtcrx @ Feb 17 2012, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It5 sounds like you have bad roads where you drive. I wouldn't go to the 13's for potholed roads, they will make the situation much worse if you hit one. For the street you might want to stick with 15's or larger, they will roll over a pothole better than the 13's.

This is a bit of a load. Who gave you this theory? Sure, it makes sense if you're plotting to run 185/40R13 but...

Say you're rolling on 205/40R17, that's a wheel diameter (tread surface to tread surface) of 23.5". Now compare that to the stock wheel diameter of a 185/60R14, 22.7". That's a wopping 0.8" difference in diameter. Based on that alone you're not going to get THAT much of a benefit for potholes, now add in the extra 1.5" of sidewall you have to absorb that impact.

OP: I recommend looking for a 195/55R14. You're probably going to find your best selection of "performance" Tires in that size. And they are nearly identical diameter to stock size.
Also, you might not like the look of the phone dials, but I guarantee you they'll accelerate noticeably faster than your 17s did, and corner just as good. You're just going to have to get used to the extra sidewall flex. Running 44PSI when you start and gradually lowering it until you are running 30psi will ease the transition.

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx
I just bought a set of Federal SS 595 tires, 185 55 14, and mounted them on some pick and pull wheels. They have a tread wear of 260, not to bad, and of course they are cheap, ready to burn up on some open track days, Dave

ChrisF-dude