Front Splitter

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx b18, 85 crx si, 85 straman convertab, 04 AP2 S2000, 06 Element
i still need to trim it add adjustable brackets and flatten it out. the thick plastic is extremely sturdy and does not deflect at all at 80mph,it also will not crack and will wear down smoothly. the benefits are 3 main things 1. it will force air through my radiator 2. it will minimize lift by preventing airflow under the car 3. more air will be forced over the car aiding high speed handling. i will also lower the car more.

Oh, you don't know if it's legal?
you're in california of coarse it's ILLEGAL!!!!!

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
uhm, to each his own, but dont you think that thing sticks out a bit much? no offense, but that duck bill with the ebay bumper looks a bit gawdy. JMHO

i do like it though, and was planning on making one of these to cover the difference between the factory bumper and the honda aero lip. double purpose also protects the aero lip from any curbs!
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
This is one project I've been wanting to pursue. How did you attach this in the rear under the car? Did you just get a sheet of this material and cut? I'm interested to see what kind of effects you get from yours, is this mostly a street car or does it see some track time? I'd also like to see some pics after trimming.

Julian

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (87MugenProCR-X @ Mar 3 2009, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one project I've been wanting to pursue. How did you attach this in the rear under the car? Did you just get a sheet of this material and cut? I'm interested to see what kind of effects you get from yours, is this mostly a street car or does it see some track time? I'd also like to see some pics after trimming.

Julian

the reason it is so long is because it is better to trim it after it is mounted that way it is certain to match the profile of the bumper and i have not gotten to that step yet. the only difference i can notice so far is at high speed my steering dose not get as light as before. the plastic is mounted by 8 stainless steel bolts 2 on the cross member and 6 on the bumper with speed nuts. it is solid enough to press the car down without any problems, and i still plan on adding adjusting brackets. the car is a streetcar but i plan on using it for race duty soon, i just spend to much time at work to race right now and don't have weekends off when the races take place.

Edited by 84b18, 03 March 2009 - 12:35 AM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I like the way this is shaping up. Nice use of Plastic wink.gif

If you secured the spliter along the forward bottom edge of the bumper cover, and the splitter is not too far forward, you may not need the brackets to secure the spliter.

Scott

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Mar 3 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the way this is shaping up. Nice use of Plastic wink.gif

If you secured the spliter along the forward bottom edge of the bumper cover, and the splitter is not too far forward, you may not need the brackets to secure the spliter.

Scott

i rely don't but the adjustment would be nice for different conditions and ride heights
going for something like this

also thinking of turning my "gawdy bumper" into this some time. perfect for the half width aluminum radiator

Vicious

you are planning on making a rear diffuser right?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (Vicious @ Mar 3 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you are planning on making a rear diffuser right?

that should be very easy, i already have it planed out. it just is int a big priority. i am moving and taking a trip to new york on top of that i spend my time at work. why do you ask?

the front end of my car might not look as good as stalk but it is tuns lighter and i can pull it off in a fraction of the time for maintenance on the car.

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
hey man, its only gawdy if you leave it sticking out that far! lol i didnt know you were gonna trim it after that. i think that SI looks sexy. i espically like how the lines match perfectly.
what you mean by turning it into that? do you mean cutting it out from the inside up to the holes?

84b18

• I drive a quadracycle
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 3 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think that SI looks sexy. i espically like how the lines match perfectly.
what you mean by turning it into that? do you mean cutting it out from the inside up to the holes?

what i meant by the picture of the 2 gen race car is that i like how the center radiator opening is as tall as possible and the right side funells air to the radiator.

my 84 is actually an hf rather than an si, but it has more in common with a teg, axles, engine, brakes, trans, suspension.lol

Ghost-One

• the only Moderator who can fight MONSTERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
make it out of wood

kaymo

• PipPipPipPipPip
i want to make a balsa wood center console biggrin.gif

Vicious

QUOTE (84b18 @ Mar 3 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that should be very easy, i already have it planed out. it just is int a big priority. i am moving and taking a trip to new york on top of that i spend my time at work. why do you ask?

just because i hope you know that a splitter and rear diffuser work in tandem wink.gif

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Vicious @ Mar 3 2009, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just because i hope you know that a splitter and rear diffuser work in tandem wink.gif

Yes, they do their best work when combined... but you can get some of the benefit from either alone.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Christ

• Parting out my '86 Si. Need anything?
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1989 Civic DX 4-Door - dead, parting out.
Want a bigger gain? Make a tray that goes from the end of the splitter back to the rear of the engine cradle. It's called aerodynamics tongue.gif

Better yet, make a full undertray. No idea what you'd gain in track times or 1/4 mile slips, but I know most people see up to a 10% increase in fuel mileage, which means the engine has to work less to do the same job.
How about we just agree to respect each other's opinion?Even though yours is so obviously wrong...
Click here to see how I basically gave my car away to another RPR member!