Integra Rear Disc Discussion

• You cannot reply to this topic
19 replies to this topic

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
Well I think I'm finally going to give up on my damn drum brakes. They don't work well, you can't buy good parts for them, and they are a bitch to work on.

I wouldn't mind using them if i could get high temp pads for them, or if anyone had a lathe that could turn em.....but I can't (not the ones i want) and they don't. So I'm finally going to do the swap.

Now what parts do I need. AFAIK, I need everything down to the hubs, including the wheel studs. I'll need the parking brake lines, w/ a twist to make em fit. And, I'll need the proportioning valve, or the whole MC, or nothing at all????? i would think i would want to retain the stock proportioning valve because it was made to go with the car's weight distribution, but the other was bade for the brakes.....

soooo, more info? i've searched around, and seen many other threads. but i've never gotten anything solid.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

misfit_mafioso

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF
there is a really good write up on automotiveforums.com

u can find it on a link off any message posted by a member named cvcc....something

i stilll have some questions, though. that write up says something about how u cant use the stock brake lines to the drums. is that true?

red.da

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx dx d16a1, 87 crx si d16a1 :)
you should replace the brake lines anyhow. they are probably pretty old and withered by now.
user posted image

user posted image
Wagovan-Clan Member

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Rear disc swap is an entire pita, and totally not necessary. The ONLY benefit is ease of maintenance, but once you've played with drums a time or two, they are easy. besides, you can't adjust rear discs like you can drums to affect rear bias.

Of course this is all IMO. Ask Masta how my brakes work. biggrin.gif
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

RETROCRX

• I AM THE STIG!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si (with big flares and a ZC!) 2004 Civic SiR
    • Image Gallery
To each his own, I have the discs, and I have run the drums both with no issues. However, I have noticed that over extended periods running with drums, I used to get pedal degradation that made it hard to heel and toe downshift near the end of a run.

They both work.

Anyway, you need to use the integra rear flex lines instead of the CRX hard lines as they won't bolt up to the calipers.

Rob
Must.....go......racing.......

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Porterfield will be happy to make you a set of shoes for your car, I have them on my '87 Si.

Drums are not hard to work on, specially tiny drums like on our cars. But it is your car.

You will need the Integra-
Master Cylinder
Portioning Valve
E brake cables
and all the other stuff.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
i wasn't happy w/ the service i got when i called porterfield. besides, i want carbotech, and they don't make small shoes anymore.

ok, so here's an official list of parts for the swap:

- Full rear brake assembly w/ lines and bolts
- wheel studs
- parking brake cable
- master cyl. w/ prop. valve
(what about getting an adjustible prop. valve? and can i use the teg valve w/ my MC?)

i would almost prefer bigger drums to work on. all those damn little springs......

i have rebuilt my drums a few times, i know how they work, i even have the special adjuster tool to reach in from the back and i'm good w/ it. but they just don't work well on this car. my 85 Sis drums worked well, but not these....i don't know why.

and tightening up the drums is a good way to adjust bias for autoX, and it's a good way to cook your fluid at a real track.

Edited by RexKrazy, 11 August 2004 - 02:18 PM.

Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
If you plan to piece together the swap add to your list the studs which hold the spindle to the beam. The integra units are longer to accomodate thick cast caliper bracket. They'll have to be driven back out of the beam.

calmoc9

• C.E.L. 4-life
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 crx si. FINALLY PUT THE ZC IN!! turbo coming soon. 12 Titan Pro 4X, 07 Accord EX V6 6MT dd
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (RexKrazy @ Aug 11 2004, 03:43 AM)
i even have the special adjuster tool to reach in from the back and i'm good w/ it.

"special adjuster tool"? mine is called a flat headed screw driver. i'm pretty good with it too. biggrin.gif
"Why dont you just put a pussy on the front of that car? It takes more money than I do." - The Wife

vouch thread 1 2

QUOTE (kaymo @ Mar 2 2009, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sure its no ferrari, and its no pussy magnet

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (-TJ @ Aug 10 2004, 11:56 PM)
If you plan to piece together the swap add to your list the studs which hold the spindle to the beam.  The integra units are longer to accomodate thick cast caliper bracket.  They'll have to be driven back out of the beam.

do you mean the wheel studs, or the bolts that hold the assy. on?

"special adjuster tool"? mine is called a flat headed screw driver. i'm pretty good with it too. 

yea, but the tool is easier. it's really just a bent screwdriver, but it's cool to have. it might be up for sale after i do the swap.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (RexKrazy @ Aug 11 2004, 02:18 PM)
do you mean the wheel studs, or the bolts that hold the assy. on?.

Here's the original link to this topic in the automotive forums.

http://www.automotiv...highlight=brake

Yes, you do need the 8 bolts (4 per side) from the Integra that hold on the caliper mounting bracket. This is because the caliper bracket is about a 1/2" thicker than the backing plate on the Civic/CRX.

I've done this swap and I'm also the one who posted the original write up in the Automotive Forums. If anyone needs further assistance I'll be happy to help!

Edited by lxndr, 11 August 2004 - 05:59 PM.

nivek2002

QUOTE (lxndr @ Aug 11 2004, 04:41 PM)

Yes, you do need the 8 bolts (4 per side) from the Integra that hold on the caliper mounting bracket. This is because the caliper bracket is about a 1/2" thicker than the backing plate on the Civic/CRX.

I've done this swap and I'm also the one who posted the original write up in the Automotive Forums. If anyone needs further assistance I'll be happy to help!

NICE!

Someone put that in the FAQ

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (lxndr @ Aug 11 2004, 06:41 PM)

wow. thanks alot. that's one hell of a write-up.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

I3ackfire

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 88 Crx Si, 86 Crx Dx
Does this work for any model crx regardless of it being a Si, Dx, of HF?

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
ya
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC