Finally Went To The Dyno!

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

TurboG1Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic CRX
Well i took my Honda to the dyno today, just to get some numbers out of it because it has been bothering me for a while now. Results are on a DynoJet.

Conditions:
60 Degrees Ferenheit
29.04 in-Hg

Needless to say I am VERY happy with the numbers i got out of it for the low boost and cracked LEAKING exhaust manifold (HUGE EXHAUST LEAK!!).

Mods are:

D16A1 engine from 1986 Acura Integra
-Weisco Forged Pistons
-Crower Forged Rods
-Posted block (like block guard)
-O-ringed head
-Fully race ported head
-T3/T04E 54 Trim Turbo
-Doublestacked 1st gen mitsu IC (Dejon tool Style)
-Cracked ASS Exhaust manifold
-3" turbo back exhaust
-Turbo XS RFL
-DSM 450CC injectors (black tops from 2nd gen)
-Walbro 195 LPH fuel pump
-Apexi AFC fuel management

At 14 PSI of boost:

Max HP: 220.8 HP @ 6300 RPM
Max TQ: 192.7 TQ @ 5000 RPM

The torque curve was really nice and broad, Very good for a turbo 4 banger, Hell at 3000 RPM i was making over 100 lbs of torque!

Redline is 7000 RPM, I need to do the DFI allready and better valve springs, This thing just wants to rev higher!!!! I'm thinking about taking it to about 7500-8000 RPM. I don't know though its up in the air right now.

Ill get the graphs scanned and up here in the next day or so! Im very pleased with these numbers.

Edited by TurboG1Rex, 04 December 2004 - 04:38 PM.

1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
86 D16A1 and BOOST!!!!

Soo Much Boost, Soo Little Time.

CRXdan

wow 250-260bhp unreal man.
Id be happy with 220bhp.
Those are impressive numbers. if you had turboedit, omfg, itd be nuts
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

TurboG1Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
lmao turbo edit god huh? I have decided im not going to do turboedit, but rather wait untill megasquirt can do ignition. that way i will have a complete standalone fuel and ignition computer, 3 bar map, ect.

The megasquirt guys say they are getting closer and closer to finishing.
1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
86 D16A1 and BOOST!!!!

CRXdan

to each his own. apparentley I heard megasquirt rocks in toyota and such, but honda has an awesome fuel injection system to begin with.
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

xenocron

• Granny
  • Pip
QUOTE (CRXdan @ Dec 5 2004, 01:38 PM)
to each his own. apparentley I heard megasquirt rocks in toyota and such, but honda has an awesome fuel injection system to begin with.

yep...and you cant be free. but like Dan said, to each his own.

TurboG1Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
How do you mean free? Turboedit isnt free is it? Hell, I have an 86 so i would have to upgrade all kinds of stuff wouldnt i?

If its cheaper than megasquirt then maybe i will do it.

What all do i need to do dan? School me oh turboedit masta.

BTW my engine and car are 1986's.

Screw it, if turboedit comes out cheaper than megasquirt then forget megasquirt. I would rather spend the money on my Camaro, i have to get that 383 built dont I? ph34r.gif

Edited by TurboG1Rex, 06 December 2004 - 10:43 PM.

1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
86 D16A1 and BOOST!!!!

CRXdan

yeah if u have a 86 maybe its not worth it. but how woudl u control timing with megasquirt, youd still have to change ur dizzy and everything.

and turboedit is free. all u need to buy is larger injectors and a burnwer ($50-60)
and some small misc things like sockets and eproms 10-15 bucks.
no stimulators or junk liek that, and plus u get to keep closed loop (im not sure if u do with MS) which means better mpg's and godamn just dont waste ur time with megasquirt lol. nobody uses it anymore. its good for toytas, but honda just stick with stock fuel injection.
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

TurboG1Rex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (CRXdan @ Dec 8 2004, 12:52 AM)
yeah if u have a 86 maybe its not worth it. but how woudl u control timing with megasquirt, youd still have to change ur dizzy and everything.

and turboedit is free. all u need to buy is larger injectors and a burnwer ($50-60)
and some small misc things like sockets and eproms 10-15 bucks.
no stimulators or junk liek that, and plus u get to keep closed loop (im not sure if u do with MS) which means better mpg's and godamn just dont waste ur time with megasquirt lol. nobody uses it anymore. its good for toytas, but honda just stick with stock fuel injection.

there are success stories on there from people using MS with hondas. and i am waiting untill they get MS2 done because it can controll ignition via gm coils, so i would have a coil on plug setup too. MS also has closed loop, it has an open loop for warmup and WOT but during cruise it is in closed loop and you can use a Wideband O2 instead of a narrow band to get the best possible Airfuel ratio.

Honestly MS2 is alot like the AEM EMS only ALLOT cheaper. total cost is about 250 bucks.
1986 Honda Civic CRX SI
86 D16A1 and BOOST!!!!

Dan-O

QUOTE (CRXdan @ Dec 8 2004, 01:52 AM)

I have to step in here....
I have my 87 CRX with MegaSquirt running 8 pounds of boost.
The car runs awesome!!
There are several people using MS with great success.

Closed loop is available but I myself don't use it.
I have a D15A3 with a vacuum advance distributor so using a PM6 without a re-wire isn't an option for me.

The stimulator you're talking about is an option for assembling the MS to test it. I don't even own one and didn't need one either.

Say, can your chipped PM6 connect to your laptop and be used to change any setting while you drive?
You can with a MS, it's built in to the hardware/software.
smile.gif

Edited by Dan-O, 08 December 2004 - 07:17 AM.

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Dan-O @ Dec 8 2004, 07:14 AM)
Say, can your chipped PM6 connect to your laptop and be used to change any setting while you drive? 
smile.gif

Welcome back Dan... smile.gif

And yes, with a small module, you can do RTP with a chipped PM6... smile.gif

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
QUOTE (rpr @ Dec 8 2004, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (Dan-O @ Dec 8 2004, 07:14 AM)

smile.gif

Welcome back Dan... smile.gif

And yes, with a small module, you can do RTP with a chipped PM6... smile.gif

Tom

yeah but how cool is it to say you built the ecu and built a fully functional fuel injection system...

chris
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

CRXdan

yeah its cool and I didnt realize it had so many features, but if youre looking for a quick and easy fuel managment system that takes less than 1 hour to make and is probably the CHEAPEST most cost for value system then nothign beats turboedit. It has all the features megasquirt has (maybe megasquirt has a bit more, but theyre both in the same ballpark) and you just see so many people using turboedit and uberdata. This is a conveince to us with obd0, but to those who have to change anythign anyways, maybe megasquirt is better. I didnt do it because alot of parts id have to order over the net, where with turboedit everythign can be bought locally. (including the burner, they actually distribute them here in Burnaby)
With megasquirt do you get launch control, speed limiter, rev limiter, boost retard?
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

Grant Bailey

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si
Launch control - don't think so
Speed control - what the heck is that? Isn't that the same thing as rev limit in top gear?
Rev limit - yes
Boost retard - yes

For the record, you don't have to change out your dizzy for Megasquirt. I think you do have to lock it from rotating. Basically it intercepts the ignition signal and can provide advance or retard prior to sending it back out. I think if you're willing to hack around inside the dizzy you can tap into the crank angle sensor in there and send the variable reluctance signal to the Megasquirt. I also know of a hack where you can send the ignition signal from the ignition amplifier (intercept between dizzy and coil) and put it into the ignition input of an MSD. You can put a jumper in somewhere in the MSD so that the ignitor only puts the signal out through the 5v square wave tach signal output. Use that signal to go to the Megasquirt crank angle sensor input, then you can output from the megasquirt into one of the other ignition inputs on the MSD, which then fires the coil. Sounds a little convoluted but basically you use the MSD to convert your high level ignition signal into a logic level input to the Megasquirt, then use the MSD again to amplify the Megasquirt output and fire the coil. This is probably what I'll do once MSII is out since I was planning on running an ignition box anyway and that will save me fiddling around with the dizzy.

Grant
"GReddy e-manage" is excellent in the generality and the expansion. And it is a low price further.Therefore, you can direct an engine too economy, easily. Then, you are relieved, and you can choose it. Future tuning begins first from "e".

CRXdan

Speed control will cut out fuel once u reach a desired spped, not engine speed, but vehicle speed.
Launch control will limit the revs to a certain rpms until u hit a certain speed.
TE al;so has VTEC control, Boost fuel correction, and the ability to quickl and easily switch between stock and 2-3bar maps.

If you can use a stock 86-87 dizzy then megasquirt woudl be the way to go. but for 88-89 guys it only makes sense to use turboedit, IMO.
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
welcome back dan-o, where you been man? Hey that bored t/b i got from you is non functional. i think the butterfly shaft is 180 degrees outta sync causing it not to seal properly or somethin. but anyways

yeah i think for the guys with 88-89 stuff its best for turboedit. and i think megasquirt is a bit more involved than the other stuff. i think someone who hasnt had much to do with electonic systems would be better off doing turbo edit because its not quite as involved.

Sean