Just Went Turboedit

• You cannot reply to this topic
56 replies to this topic

CRXdan

I just made the switch to turboedit!
What a diference.
No ping, no hesitation, no more 94 octane gas and retarded timing. The funny thing is, its just a basic turbo zc basemap not even tuned. It runs nice and rich but I know this car is capable of more. At 10 psi, reaching 200km/hr is effortless.

So if anyone here wants a PM6 chipped and basemap burned, i can do it for cheap, otherwise, heres the basic info.

First thing needed is a soldering/desoldering iron. Desolder the 28 pin Eprom from the ecu. Throw in the socket and solder it back up. Simple
next take a burner, a willems eprom burner works great and is only $60. Burn your chip, throw in your 450cc injectors, and stick the chip in the ecu.
Thats pretty much it. The car will run like a factory turbocharged car.

Dont waste your time with FMU's or AFC hacks, go turboedit!

Edited by CRXdan, 29 October 2004 - 09:28 PM.

90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

sdubfid

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86 Wagovan
anyone want to buy a jackson racing fmu? haha

sounds good dan, when will it be ready fr the dyno?

toxicshit

QUOTE (CRXdan @ Oct 23 2004, 06:28 PM)
I just made thw switch to turboedit!
What a diference.
No ping, no hesitation, no more 94 octane gas and retarded timing. The funny thing is, its just a basic turbo zc basemap not even tuned. It runs nice and rich but I know this car is capable of more. At 10 psi, reaching 200km/hr is effortless.

So if anyone here wants a PM6 chipped and basemap burned, i can do it for cheap, otherwise, heres the basic info.

First thing needed is a soldering/desoldering iron. Desolder the 28 pin Eprom from the ecu. Throw in the socket and solder it back up. Simple
next take a burner, a willems eprom burner works great and is only $60. Burn your chip, throw in your 450cc injectors, and stick the chip in the ecu.
Thats pretty much it. The car will run like a factory turbocharged car.

Dont waste your time with FMU's or AFC hacks, go turboedit!

how did you convert your distributor ?

1. EDM 1986 Honda CRX AS - B16A1 engine - OBD1 - Turbo - Stitch welded chassis.
2. EDM 2001 Lexus IS300 3.0 RWD - Daily Drive
cr-x.jpg

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '86 CRX d16a1 hf (RIP), '86 civic hatch ls (DD)
    • Image Gallery
if i remember right he has the blacktop d16a1 which has the electrnic adv ecu. the pm6 ecus plug right into the d16 harness.

Sean

TurboDismantler

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX SI
hey do you a have chip burner and what kind of chip did you use for turboedit?

CRXdan

Yes I have a burner. Willems standard.
I use 27c256 chips, about $3 each. I cant find the erasable 29c anywhere locally, so i just bought a bunch of 27's.
The car is very quick now, even at 8 psi, i can lay huge patches in 2nd and I timed a couple 0-90mph runs and got in the range of about 12 seconds flat, (1/2 throttle in BOTH 1st and 2nd)
It needs some tuning obviously, which I cant wait for until next year, and hopefully i can break into the mid 13s. As it sits, probably low 14s i think. I really need a higherflowing exhaust as I can feel the turbo choke at high rpms. A bigger FMIC, which shoudl be done before next year, will hopefully let me run more timing.
But right now im not considred about making the vehicle faster, tongue.gif
0-60mph runs are actually the same as when it was allmotor, if not slower, since the tires have a real hard time grabbing the pavemenet. It will smoke the tires all the way up to 50mph.

Edited by CRXdan, 24 October 2004 - 09:48 PM.

90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
awesome man, what did you do to keep from friyin the componants on the board when you soldered???? also where did you fidn one of those things(pm6 ecu)?!? i cant find em anywhere.

oh and what kinda stickys are you runnin? hehe you outta get a set of cheeter slicks on that mo-fo cool.gif

Sean

87sivtec

• can't wait for summer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx hf w/B18C and a RAM
    • Image Gallery
We'll have to hook you up with a real set of slicks to use next year at Mission.

PM Gizz on Revscene.net He had a set of drag radials for sale.
twitter: @lylehatton

CRXdan

Its pretty hard to fry something on the board.
I had 1 hour of soldering experience before i went ahead and desoldered the chip.
You just have to take it slow and easy and dont force out the chip, it shoudl slide out. If it doesnt, more desoldering is necesaray. It took me about 1 1/2hours for the whole process. Soldering the chip in took about 15 mins of that time though, because the board is made in a way that the solder will pool onto the correct areas. So if you even dont have a steady hand its possible.

I was amazed and reliefed to see it all work. I soldered the socket in at 2am and threw in a eprom in the morning and went for a drive. Right away i coudl tell the car was transformed. Theres still some flat spots at low rpms, but I just loved how didnt pull an insane amount of timing like the AFC hack did. I can run 87 octane now and not worry about ping. I pulled the plugs and they are sooty black. I still get about 25mpgs wink.gif

Lyle, Mission will be insane next year, Hopefully me you and Ed will be competitive ph34r.gif
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

C_piddy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 turbo zc (turbo edit) -1986 carb dohc zc hf
sounds like something to look into. for sure.. congrats on getting it running right. are you runing stock ignition? or btm?

just would have to convert to electronic advance... i have the distributer and other sensors, just would have to jump right in and start rewiring.

does anyone have that bible link. to that converstion. it might be time to figure that chart out.

thanks
no fighting in the war room!

Dr. Strangelove

CRXdan

BTM? lol
heres a screenshot:

All you need is 450cc DSM injectors.

Edited by CRXdan, 26 October 2004 - 11:45 PM.

90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
my question is, where did you get a pm6 at?????

rolleyes.gif

Sean

CRXdan

I had a 88 teg ecu, so I foudn someone with a 91 civic si, and traded them, the 88 teg ecu has a more agressive timing curve and a higher rev limit, so trading was not a problem. theres alot of yards with civic si ecu's. Just looka around

u can also chip the 88 teg ecu, its not that hard, i may try it if i can get a spare.
90 crx si
86 samurai g16 turbo

rexsk8er

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
yeah, i was really thinkin about tryin to chip the pg7. it doesnt seem to hard, plus it would be nice to be able to switch back to the stock with he flip of a swtich just in case you decide to take your stuff off or somethin.

Sean

NNBD

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: Honda CRX 1.6i DOHC 1987
oke...very intresting. I wanted to turbocharge my browntop ZC but the costs of an Zdyne ECU or something like that is to expensive if you ask me.

So I don't need to change anything ?? just mount a nice turbo (and some gauges), an intercooler etc...and only have to change my chip in my ECU ?.

oke...do you also have some data for an orgininal brown top ZC (euro zc) with orgiginal ECU ?

If so....im going turbo biggrin.gif

BTW....has anybody got an good adress for the injectors ? (who ships them oversea)