←  General Posts

Red Pepper Racing

»

Testing Waters For A 86-87 Si Front Lip In...

MrDisibility's Photo MrDisibility 27 Sep 2010

I have a good one to mold off of and know that people have been looking for a reproduction of the OEM front lip. Do we have 5-6 buyers ready now? A CF part would run about $299 and a FG maybe $225.

DEMO814's Photo DEMO814 27 Sep 2010

I like the products you provide but unable to afford them at the moment. That being said what about an extended lip. I know I've seen threads on here about extending the factory lip.

cbstdscott's Photo cbstdscott 27 Sep 2010

Marcus,

The OEM "lip" (I prefer to call it an "Air Dam") is better than nothing, but the OEM design is a compromise. It is "there," but just barely. It is deep enough to find a cement parking bump, but not deep enough to be as effective as possible. And it was created in a time before the use of a "splitter" (a horizontal aero piece that improves the effciency of the air dam) so it is hard to retrofit a splitter to the OEM air dam.

I suggest re-thinking the OEM air dam and make it deeper and friendly to the addition of a splitter. If the OEM air dam is about 2 inches deep, I would suggest making an air dam that is 3-4 inches deep with a flat bottom that would allow a splitter to be easily bolted on.

I recognise that it is infinitly easier to just throw a mold off an existing part than to engineer a entirely new design. But as long as you asked what we would want...

Scott

Lymitliss's Photo Lymitliss 27 Sep 2010

I don't have the money yet, but I will definitely be getting a carbon fiber one if you do an exact replica of OEM.

OG Wagon's Photo OG Wagon 27 Sep 2010

Sounds sweet! I agree with all of the above. An OEM replica would be cool, but something "special" would be even more desirable, I believe.

icebox187's Photo icebox187 27 Sep 2010

we talkin about the whole plastic bumper cover, or just the little shroud at the bottom?

MrDisibility's Photo MrDisibility 28 Sep 2010

Just a lip at the bottom. The problem with making a new part is that it costs more than just copying one that already exists. I have a good lip mounted on a good bumper that would be a piece of cake to mold up. If we need to reshape then it is going to cost twice as much to mock up and mold.

Condor's Photo Condor 28 Sep 2010

I realize that a lot of labor goes into such things.
I'm not trying to minimize that AT ALL.

But I can tell you if my wife found out I paid $300 for a "little piece of plastic"
(and she would find out) it would create a volcanic eruption that I can't
even describe by words.

I guess that's my way of saying if it were me only no problem but with the
current situation I'd need a different price point or I'll just have to do without.

F22hb's Photo F22hb 28 Sep 2010

I guess I must be missing the point. If you want an oem lip, a visit to the junkyard should turn up one. Also, that one won't shatter on curbs and such like fg. It would be really cool if you guys made a clean looking aftermarket front lip. All the newer generations have them but we don't and I feel like they would sell very well, especially if they were pu instead of fg or abs. Just saying... what's the fuss over stock front lips?

staticchmbr's Photo staticchmbr 28 Sep 2010

if you could maybe source a rare AERO KIT, i might be in, but i wouldnt pay that much for an oem copy.. sorry. guess its just me being cheap like always. i just never really like to spend that much unless it has a performace gain (suspension/engine mods) or if its rare as hell (digi dash/red panel)...... you do help out the community alot though, so good luck!

MrDisibility's Photo MrDisibility 28 Sep 2010

Good feedback guys, thanks!

importzero's Photo importzero 29 Sep 2010

i will be very interested in this

SHOGUNOVDDRK's Photo SHOGUNOVDDRK 29 Sep 2010

Make Doobie replica's for 3G's wink.gif

Interceptor's Photo Interceptor 29 Sep 2010

The one that we can actually buy from your website, is it supposed to be just like the OEM one ?

MrDisibility's Photo MrDisibility 29 Sep 2010

QUOTE (Interceptor @ Sep 29 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The one that we can actually buy from your website, is it supposed to be just like the OEM one ?

That is what it is. A factory Honda lip.