←  1G CRX

Red Pepper Racing

»

Loud Fuel Pump!

kjeffery's Photo kjeffery 19 Feb 2009

Well I have my 87 si that I didn't buy not long ago. Back in December to be exact. The fuel pump is really loud since day one when I bought it and when I turn on a blinker the sound fluctuates up and down as the relay clicks on and off. Any suggestions? Car seems like its driving just fine.

DEIVIONCRX's Photo DEIVIONCRX 19 Feb 2009

You wont know for sure since youve only had the car for a while but my hatch, one day i got in it and the fuel pump was extra loud and sounded like it was girgling insted of just humming. It ran like that for almost another year i think. Then literaly one day driving back home i stoped at a friends house, and it wouldnt start again. Diagnosed it as the pump, changed it and it ran great.

If i replaced it should it run quieter? Its not really girggling just really loud like a loud ass water pump.
Edited by kjeffery, 19 February 2009 - 07:14 PM.

flashmatrix's Photo flashmatrix 19 Feb 2009

Sounds like a fuel pump goin bad. Same thing happened to me ^^.

DEIVIONCRX's Photo DEIVIONCRX 19 Feb 2009

Could it be a aftermarket pump? Is the car modded at all. I know alot of the aftermarket pumps, like the Walbros and Holley Blues are loud as fuck.

The car hasnt been really modded at allfrom what I can tell besides a cone air filter. So I am really doubting a after market pump.

RARECRX's Photo RARECRX 20 Feb 2009

That is stock.. Its just how they are .. Every single CRX I have owned , ridden in , worked on, drove, all did this. If you argue with me your ears are bad and need a checkup lol..

greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's's Photo greasemonkeyreborne 5x1g's 20 Feb 2009

Out of my 4 si's, they all hum. I hear stopped at idle. I hear the pump frequency oscillate w/ the blinker as well. Unless you hear over the road noise, I agree w/ above and think its okay.

On a related point, does anyone know of an awesome aftermarket fuel pump to replace w/? No more OEM existing. I don't want crap in my car.

Thnx Dave

sawchuk's Photo sawchuk 20 Feb 2009

The best fuel pump is Bosch. I've used one for 5 years with out problems. It's no toy! It is alot more expensive than a Walbros but you get what you pay for. Price:$199.00

The Bosch Super In-line Pump is the king of all in-line fuel pumps. Is capable of keep high (up to 100 psi constant) fuel pressure under boost without pressure drop-off. This pump keeps fuel pressures rock solid where the little "carter" or "t-rex" pump has failed to keep up. COmes with banjo fittings to convert both ends to slip on barb. This pump can also easily convert to -6 applications handling up to 500 HP applications.
Edited by sawchuk, 20 February 2009 - 02:24 AM.

DEIVIONCRX's Photo DEIVIONCRX 20 Feb 2009

IDK about you guys but ive got stripped interior and i dont hear the fuel pump at idle.

kjeffery's Photo kjeffery 20 Feb 2009

Maybe Ill make a Youtube video one day, when I get it back. I just moved to Iowa the car is currently in lower alabama waiting for my dad to come up in may to tow it to me. I had no way to bring with me wife was driving the Focus and I had my work van towing a uhaul

slavteren's Photo slavteren 20 Feb 2009

all i have driven has been loud... the oscilin (spellcheck lol) with the tutnsignals lies in the way it is grounded... all in one ground wire.

cut wire on pump, then make a new ground conection your self should do the trick.

kjeffery's Photo kjeffery 20 Feb 2009

Thanks Ill try the ground trick. I guess its a common thing seeing the comments above. this is my first 1st gen crx and I dont remember my pass 88-91 rex's and civics sounding like that.
Edited by kjeffery, 20 February 2009 - 05:31 PM.

Burning Tyre's Photo Burning Tyre 24 Feb 2009

QUOTE (sawchuk @ Feb 20 2009, 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best fuel pump is Bosch. I've used one for 5 years with out problems. It's no toy! It is alot more expensive than a Walbros but you get what you pay for. Price:$199.00

The Bosch Super In-line Pump is the king of all in-line fuel pumps. Is capable of keep high (up to 100 psi constant) fuel pressure under boost without pressure drop-off. This pump keeps fuel pressures rock solid where the little "carter" or "t-rex" pump has failed to keep up. COmes with banjo fittings to convert both ends to slip on barb. This pump can also easily convert to -6 applications handling up to 500 HP applications.

But how queit is this pump?

I've also got a very loud Oem pump....

84b18's Photo 84b18 24 Feb 2009

i have a B&M pump for an LS1 and it is far louder than any fuel pump on any car i have ever heard. you can insulate the mounts but you still get vibration in the lines. what really quieted it down was adding a regulator after the pump before the cab