unclejemima's Content

There have been 6 items by unclejemima (Search limited from 23-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#358607 Help Me Solve My Fuel Problem...

Posted by unclejemima on 25 October 2007 - 12:38 PM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (1985 CRX SI @ Oct 24 2007, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sound to me like your main fuel circuit in the carb is pluged ( you are forcing fuel out of the carb with the choke) Rebuild the carb.
Jeff

Thanks for the reply, i think you may be right. I cant think of what else it would be.
-mark

#358483 Help Me Solve My Fuel Problem...

Posted by unclejemima on 24 October 2007 - 01:15 PM in 3G Civic

Anyone one have even a clue? Could it be electrical related? Seems very unusual, i figured it may be easy for someone to diagnose...???
thanks,
-mark

#358384 Help Me Solve My Fuel Problem...

Posted by unclejemima on 23 October 2007 - 07:26 PM in 3G Civic

Ok, 87 honda civic Canadian model, 1.5 carb with manual choke.

The car starts if i have the choke full out, it rev's to about 3000rpm. If i push the throttle, the car dies.

If i leave the choke full on, again it rev's about 3000rpm, i let the clutch out, and it drives off just fine. BUT i am not using the throttle, just the choke full out. I can only go about 10-15mp/h. When i try and give throttle, the car dies, so i leave the choke full on and dont touch the gas, and keep driving just fine with the choke on, about 10-15mp/h.

I go to a big hill, start driving down the hill, and again try and give throttle, motor dies if i touch the gas.

If i stop, the car idles just fine, about 3000rpm with the choke full on. If i turn off the choke, it Immediately dies.

What the heck???

Would a fuel filter have anything to do with this??? What else can cause this?

Thanks!
-mark

#354096 87 Civic 1.5 Carb. Fuel Pump Q's...

Posted by unclejemima on 18 September 2007 - 04:56 PM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (Greg Gauper @ Sep 18 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look at the top of the page in the red banner for "Service Manuals".

The only thing I'm not sure about is that I don't think the manual covers the Canadian version of the carb. As I understand it, our friends to the north got a manual choke while we got the auto choke here in the US. There are a few other subtle differences between the US and CDN version of the carb'd motor.

You are correct in saying that the Canadian ones have a manual choke, mine does anyway. I am unsure of what the US model ones are. i'll take a look at the service manuals.
Thanks,
-mark

#354043 87 Civic 1.5 Carb. Fuel Pump Q's...

Posted by unclejemima on 18 September 2007 - 11:26 AM in 3G Civic

QUOTE (EuphoricBlue @ Sep 17 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could it be bad gas and or gummed up carb? I mean, the car HAS been sitting for 2+ years without so much as a start and you didn't mention anything about replacing the old fuel.

Thanks for the reply guys, i did notice the solenoid on the carb, but did not test it as i am unsure as how to check it. What does the solenoid on the carb do? Will it prevent the car from running? The weird thing is it run by itself with the choke full on, if the solenoid was kaput would it run at all? I will check it out online shop manual for the info. Do you have a link? I'm new to the site.

I always put fuel stabilizer in the tank before parking my cars, thou i'm unsure if the fuel is still good after 2 years.

I really appreciate your help guys! Great forum.
-mark

#353916 87 Civic 1.5 Carb. Fuel Pump Q's...

Posted by unclejemima on 17 September 2007 - 06:06 PM in 3G Civic

ah, nothing like pulling a dumb move that makes you shake your head.
I hooked up my battery backwards on my 87 honda civic last night and blew one of the 3 fuseable links in the engine bay.
The car has been sitting for about 2 years, it has not been fired up since i parked it.
It turns over just fine now, but it took FOREVER to get it started. I had to assist it by pouring gas down the carb, and it would only run off the gas in the carb, then die.
After turning it over(the starter), stalling, and starting it up again about a hundred times, i finally got it to run by itself with the choke full on. But as soon as i give throttle(or turn the choke off), the car dies instantly.
My guess, is i fried the fuel pump when i hooked the battery up backwards. Will it still be able to run without the fuel pump, and just suck enough fuel by the suction created by the motor/carb, but when i give throttle, it cant pull enough fuel so it dies??? Is it a mechanical or electric fuel pump. If it is mechanical, perhaps i just have rust in the lines???
The car is 87 honda civic 1.5 carburated with manual choke and approx 100,000 original miles on it. It has sat for the last 2 years, and last time i drove it it fired up just fine.
Any help would be appreciated!
-mark