kakabox's Content

There have been 68 items by kakabox (Search limited from 22-September 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#536341 The Kakabox Build

Posted by kakabox on 10 March 2012 - 02:39 AM in Projects

QUOTE (Aren D. @ Mar 9 2012, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are the pictures so SMALL!!!!!!
lol just kidding, Thanks for the awesome build and ideas over the years!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I tried to down load to RPR gallery from my MAC per usual, however non of the pics successfully made it to the gallery. Something about needing to be <2 MB in size. I've never had to 'resize' any of my pics before...maybe it's my new MAC, maybe it's the new RPR server...? Dunno...can't seem to resize to a smaller size in the 'iPhoto' software on my machine. [I have to admit, I'm not the brightest when it comes to this stuff] The 'work-around' I came up w/is send the pics to myself at work via email (they downsize themselves automagically when I do that) then down loaded the 'tiny' pics to my gallery, which, as you can see, it kindly accepted!

I'll see if my wife can figure out if the 'iPhoto' app has a resize feature besides the 'crop' feature. If we can figure it out, I'll replace these w/some bigger/better ones.

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you RPR for the all the compliments and support over the years. You guys are great and have provided me w/lots of motivation during the Kakabox build by just being open minded and accepting of my hacksaw/vice/drill press and welder build! The open mindedness and acceptance of this web site is a RPR strong point. It's refreshing and promotes a certain 'community' that I have not experienced as much on other automotive web sites. I came here after hanging out on CornerCarvers.com, building a much modified FOX body 5.0L Mustang ('90 LX 5.0, notchback). While CC is a decent Forum, blogging about the Kakabox build on RPR was like a cloudless Seattle summer sunrise in comparison (although somewhat rare, cloudless Seattle summer sunrises can be uplifting and inspiring)!

I believe the future is bright for the K'box. I'm sure Skip and Co. will improve upon it and provide RPR w/the further adventures of The Kakabox!

What I've been doing lately (last couple of years actually) is building & riding bicycles for fun and fitness. I used to race a little road 'n track back in the day and have gotten back into the hobby/sport. I don't plan on racing again, however, I enjoy training like I am! blink.gif And of course the bike building scratches that: 'I must build something w/my hands' itch I seem to suffer from! wink.gif

Car-wise, I still have the Lotus and will probably do a few minor mods, maintain and polish it, and perhaps take it out to the track once or twice a year.

I'll still be lurking around here too!

Cheers and THANKS RPR!

J.

#536288 The Kakabox Build

Posted by kakabox on 09 March 2012 - 10:20 AM in Projects

March 8, 2012 Photo Shoot...cont.

That's it!

J.

#536287 The Kakabox Build

Posted by kakabox on 09 March 2012 - 10:20 AM in Projects

March 8, 2012 Photo Shoot:
Bare in mind I am NOT a professional photographer...

...interior shots in next post...

#535587 The Kakabox Is For Sale!

Posted by kakabox on 25 February 2012 - 02:39 PM in FS

THE KAKABOX IS SOLD!

Thanks for all the reply's and compliments guys.

I priced this not to make any money...but to add incentive to the RPR faithful to purchase it and continue on w/it.

I've received plenty of 'payments' from this car. Everthing from planning, building, blogging, running and showing it has provided favorable interactions w/fellow car geeks, both Honda and non-Honda fans alike.
It always would make me smile when I went to an AX and people would look curiously at the car early in the AM when I drove it in...then come by after the AM runs to ask if it had 'VTEC', or turbo, or why it was posting times faster than theirs! "How much does that thing weigh" was the prevailing question.

Anyway...I'm here to tell you that the Kakabox has been sold (in <12 hrs) to one of our fellow RPR's. It sounds like it's going to a very good home...to one of the faithful.

Thanks all,
J.

#535535 The Kakabox Is For Sale!

Posted by kakabox on 24 February 2012 - 02:46 PM in FS

THE CAR IS SOLD!
THANK YOU RPR!

read my post here: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=535587

All,
It's an end of an era for me. The infamous Kakabox is up for sale!

The Kakabox was a labor of love for me and has provided me a wealth of pleasure; building it, running it and 'blogging' about it! It's been a great run...but now it's time for another of the faithful to continue on with it!
I'm currently pursuing other non-automotive interests.

The car is complete and needs nothing to be run at an AX or Track event. In it's current set up, on it's Kuhmo V710 race tires, it's quite fast on a ax course and is capable of posting ftd, or very close to it, at the local club level. It is street legal and can be driven to and from the track (and even carries it's own race wheels!). It could be driven to it's new home by it's new proud owner too!

HOWEVER, although this car is street legal and can be driven on the street, it is an extremely stripped down 3g Si w/zero creature comforts...no heat, no side windows, no carpet and plenty of 'exhaust note' (I wear earplugs when driving to the track). It is a 'hobby' car built for local club AX-ing or open track...IT IS NOT A DAILY DRIVER!

Please note, I built the car for my pleasure and paid no attention to any sanctioning body AX class rules during the build, so I have no idea what class it would qualify for. I usually ran time only so, it didn't matter. I would imagine the car would need to be de-modded a bit to qualify it for some class. Please don't ask me about this, as I have no idea...you'll have to do your own research.

Please read all about the specs and mods here: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=307594 ...and in the long running Kakabox thread here: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=194556

It was built from an extremely clean and rust free (zero) '87 3g Si over a 6 year period. It has proven itself time and time again on the AX track and it thinks nothing of driving 200+ miles on I-5 to get to the track (all while delivering 36 mpg). This is probably one of the best driving/running modified 3g's on the planet.

The Kakabox has one of the most developed 1/3g suspension on RPR sporting a 100% spherical bearing suspension featuring firstgencrx's (David's) spherical bearing front suspension and traction bars, full TEIN SS 16-way adj shocks and coilovers, adj rear sway bar, 29mm tbars. The chassis is very rigid by virtue of a Autopower 4pt roll bar (modified to 6 pts) and various custom chassis braces.

Again, please review/research the attached links for full details. It is currently riding on a brand new set of FALKEN 195/60-14 AT615K Azenis mounted on '99 Miata wheels (those are it's street tires) Comes w/a set of Lenso VPD's: 13 x 7.5, +25 mm OFF, 9.5 lbs/wheels w/215/50-13 Kumho V710 tires mounted, however, at my last ax, I chorded two out of the four. You could probably get by w/replacing the two, and running the two 'aged' ones in the rear. I was going to replace all four this season w/Hoosier A6 rubber.

I've priced this to sell as a whole car, hoping one of the faithful (RPR member) will purchase it. It has lots of life left in it.

If you are seriously interested in purchasing the whole car (plus spares), the price is $4000 cash, NO TRADES. This includes ALL of my 1/3G spares (everything goes! HF rear axles, custom stabars, headlights, body trim, rear hatches, hood, rebuilt D16 trans, etc, etc, etc)

Please check out the build thread...think about what the car is and what you'd use it for...then, if you're still interested, contact me here (PM).

Thanks RPR!

J.

#534831 2012 Helmet Season Helmet #2!

Posted by kakabox on 12 February 2012 - 05:17 PM in Off-Topic

That's amazing! Truly work of art.

Thanks for sharing.

J.

#534811 Rear Sway Bar Madness?

Posted by kakabox on 12 February 2012 - 01:24 PM in General Posts

QUOTE (chedda_j @ Feb 11 2012, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Words of wisdom from Father Pepper.

I agree that stiffer the better, I was just surprised he has such a small sway. The kaka has 400 lbs and a 32mm NASCAR sway I believe. He has 600 lbs springs, and a 16mm sway. Seems a little off.

Depends on what you're using the car for. Have you actually tracked or ax'd your car?

As you probably know, the roll stiffness of my 1" OD x .120 wall x 42.5" tubular stabar can be adjusted by lengthening/shortening the lever arms. Also, the Kakabox is very light with ~620 lbs. static over the rear axle. I don't need as much roll stiffness in back to control it's mass as heavier cars would.

I'm very happy w/the current set-up for ax useage. I actually reduced the rear-front roll stiffness balance by going to 29mm tbars. The car is now more balanced at the limit and faster then before (27.5mm tbars; it had some wicked snap throttle over steer if you weren't carefull). The set-up seems to be right-on for my current driving style and useage.

Contrary to what Scott says, you can have too much rear roll stiffness on these cars...read what anjin stated above and read this thread starting here:
http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=511323

What you're after is the 'correct' front/rear roll stiffness balance for what you're using the car for, i.e., street, track, or ax, and your driving style. What ever set-up balance you choose for one will end up being somewhat of a compromise for the others.

J.

#534550 Changing My Front Wheel Bearings

Posted by kakabox on 07 February 2012 - 12:53 AM in General Posts

QUOTE (Old School REX @ Feb 5 2012, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am also unclear as to how kaka got the new hub into the new bearing? Without the use of a press I have found that when you try to hammer the hub into the bearing you end up separating 1 half of your brand new bearing. does anyone else have a good description on how you can do this without the aid of a press?

thanks in advance for any advice.

It's all in this post! http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=322799

Freeze bearing...heat housing...use BFH (w/proper knuckle support and wood blocks to distribute impact load). No problemo!

J.

#533707 Is Rpr Running Slow Or Is It Just Me?

Posted by kakabox on 18 January 2012 - 01:22 AM in Off-Topic

shhhhhhhhhhhllloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

...ever since the server change

#533254 Want To Buy A Real Rpr Shift Knob?

Posted by kakabox on 07 January 2012 - 11:08 AM in General Posts

QUOTE (zakats @ Jan 3 2012, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...the situation has changed and those guys have gotten older!

...ah... have gotten wiser... wink.gif

dry.gif Come on guys, $50 is cheap for a custom made, small batch run of alum shift knobs. [IMO]

#533120 Project: Mini Retrocrx

Posted by kakabox on 04 January 2012 - 09:51 PM in Off-Topic

QUOTE (RETROCRX @ Jan 2 2012, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Car looks much better now.

Cheers

Rob

Awesome build Rob...looks very cool.

J.

#532883 84 Crx Race Car 300hp Na Endyne Built Dart Block

Posted by kakabox on 30 December 2011 - 11:35 AM in FS

QUOTE (ZCWagon @ Dec 29 2011, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
84 CRX Race Car completely ready to race. Class winning car with ProAuto Sports PS2 class in Phoenix Arizona.

ASKING $9,000

ASKING for pic$

#532801 Hoods For 3g Hatch. Cf/fg

Posted by kakabox on 28 December 2011 - 10:35 PM in General Posts

QUOTE (Screech @ Dec 28 2011, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope. Sedans, wagons, hatches and CRXs all have different hoods.

Tru dat

#532771 The Kakabox Build

Posted by kakabox on 28 December 2011 - 12:03 PM in Projects

QUOTE (anjin @ Dec 27 2011, 04:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you have some more lightening to do.

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing,
J.

#532769 Hoods For 3g Hatch. Cf/fg

Posted by kakabox on 28 December 2011 - 11:40 AM in General Posts

No thanks. I prefer my blacked out 'n louvered hood. Wt diff is not enough reason for me. Besides, my hood has been lightened by removal of inner doublers and cutouts for alum louvers (-2 lbs) so I'm not so sure the CF hood is any lighter.

http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=497955

J.

#531430 Rpr Shift Knobs By Firstgencrx

Posted by kakabox on 27 November 2011 - 05:03 PM in FS

THE DELRIN 'OVAL' KNOB IS SOLD, SOLD, SOLD! THANKS RPR!

The aluminum one is still available...$50 shipped to your door (shipped to international 'doors' extra...that inclds the great white north)

QUOTE (kakabox @ Nov 26 2011, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FS:
First there were two...now only one...RPR shift knob made by our own resident master machinist, firstgencrx (David)...

Black anodized 'over sized square' with machined RPR logo and border circle:

$50 shipped (extra for international shipping)

These are rare pieces as David does not make these anymore and may never again. Don't miss your chance to own a piece of RPR history!

PayPal preferred.

Thanks!
J.

#531398 Rpr Shift Knobs By Firstgencrx

Posted by kakabox on 26 November 2011 - 01:52 PM in FS

FS:
Two RPR shift knobs made by our own resident master machinist, firstgencrx (David)...

ALL SOLD! THANKS RPR!

Black anodized 'over sized square' with machined RPR logo and border circle:

$50 shipped (extra for international shipping)

PayPal preferred.

Thanks!
J.

Black Delrin 'oval'...

$45 shipped (extra for international shipping)
SOLD! THANK YOU RPR!

These are rare pieces as David does not make these anymore and may never again. Don't miss your chance to own a piece of RPR history!

#531163 Rear Urethane Bushed Trailing Arms (3g Si)

Posted by kakabox on 20 November 2011 - 02:31 PM in FS

FS:
Pair of Engergy Suspension urethane bushed rear trailing arms for 3g Civic Si. These were used on the Kakabox for ~2 yrs (~1500 miles) before I replaced them w/the spherical bearing TA's.

SOLD! THANK YOU RPR!

NOTE: These are 3g Civic TA's and as such will not fit the 1g CRX chassis.

Here's how I made them:
http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=241331
http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=264990

$100 shipped to your door (contiguous US).

PayPal preferred.

Thanks,
J.

#529960 Fs: Pair '84-'87 3g Civic Hatch Tail Lights

Posted by kakabox on 29 October 2011 - 12:52 AM in FS

price drop bump

#529661 Fs: Pair '84-'87 3g Civic Hatch Tail Lights

Posted by kakabox on 23 October 2011 - 09:43 PM in FS

For Sale:
Right and Left 3g Civic Hatch tail lights. Most excellent condition...NO CRACKS. One side has the 'gasket', one side does not (just use 3M strip caulk as I did here: http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=196680 ). All plugs and wires intact.

SOLD! THANK YOU RPR!

$50 shipped lower 48...

PayPal preferred.

Thanks,
J.

#529499 Hf Steering Rack (quicker Ratio)

Posted by kakabox on 19 October 2011 - 11:54 PM in FS

Sale pending shipping quote...

#529463 Eibach Coil-over Springs; 250 #/in

Posted by kakabox on 19 October 2011 - 08:47 AM in FS

Bump for price change... $50 SHIPPED anywhere in the lower 48.

Thanks,
J.

#529314 Hf Steering Rack (quicker Ratio)

Posted by kakabox on 16 October 2011 - 11:57 AM in FS

FS:
'86 CRX HF steering rack. This is the quickest ratio manual rack for the 1/3g CRX/Civics: ~3.55 turns lock-to-lock vs. 3.89

SOLD! THANKS RPR!

This is identical to the one currently in the Kakabox...it is has NOT been cleaned and re-greased (easy for the 'new' owner to do, however):
http://www.redpepper...e...st&p=215692

Perfect boots and no missing or non-factory clips,clamps or bushings.

$85 + shipping.

PayPal preferred.

Thanks,
J.

#529306 Eibach Coil-over Springs; 250 #/in

Posted by kakabox on 16 October 2011 - 12:49 AM in FS

QUOTE (soycory @ Oct 15 2011, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
do the coil overs not come with springs?

no coil overs for sale here, just springs.

#529292 Eibach Coil-over Springs; 250 #/in

Posted by kakabox on 15 October 2011 - 07:01 PM in FS

FS:
Pair of EIBACH springs for coil over kits which fit the '84-'87 CRX/Civic and '86-'89 Integra.

SOLD! THANKS RPR!

P/N 70818, 0700.250.0300 ==> 7 in. length/ 250 lbs/in rate/ 3 in. nominal diameter.

Only the springs for sale here.

$50 SHIPPED (lower 48)

PayPal preferred.

Thanks,
J.