yakkmeister's Content

There have been 9 items by yakkmeister (Search limited from 27-May 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#253880 K-frames & Stuff

Posted by yakkmeister on 09 May 2006 - 04:02 AM in Swaps

QUOTE (JDC420 @ Apr 27 2006, 01:41 AM)
Yup sub frame bolts right on after some insane r&d, cutting, machining, welding, bolting, swearing, drinking, smoking, and finally....... hammering.  Get 'er done and take some pics.

Are you saying the subframes are not compatible? or are you saying that they are, you just have to deal with all those other issues of an engine swap?

#253879 K-frames & Stuff

Posted by yakkmeister on 09 May 2006 - 04:00 AM in Swaps

QUOTE (nature223 @ Apr 27 2006, 01:52 AM)
Um not to be a smart ass here but a "KFRAME"????
dont you mean a SUB FRAME???,a BOX shaped unit as opposed to the dreaded chrysler K Shaped..KFRAME
a K FRAME is a OLLLLLLLLD Chrysler part that used to used on DUSTERS CHARGERS,CHALLENGERS,AND YES,FURY'S AND MY OL' CORONET AND OTHER B Bodies,and they are/were also a torsen bar front suspension....but hanging a slant six 225...versus a EIGHT 318,340,360,383,400,440,426 was almost IMPOSSIBLE without changing out the KFRAME.

It's pretty much the same as tramsission versus gearbox. It's the same animal, different name. At my work we call any subframe a k-frame, be it from an Opel, a Holden or a Saab, the are all called the same thing. Technically though, subframe is probably right.

#250578 K-frames & Stuff

Posted by yakkmeister on 26 April 2006 - 05:11 AM in Swaps

Hi all. I havn't been on for a very very long time... so sad.

Anyway, I have a 1985 EW2 powered civic 3-door.
Great peice of kit.

I am looking at putting in the D15B4 from the 1993 civic.
This is a twin carby engine.

I understand that the 93 has double wishbone front and (in some cases) a solid rear axle. It's the front I'm interested in.

I will be swapping in a twin carby D15, since I like carby's, despite the superiority of the PGM-FI and vTech motors.

What I want to know is, can the 93 civic kframe be bolted into 85 chassis?
This would achieve a number of results if it were possible...
A faster swap, less fabrication, higher viability etc ...
not to mention that tasty double wishbone front end and better brakes.

Please bear in mind that this is an Australian proposition, although I do believe that the civic was as global in 85 and 93 as it is today.

Also, as a side note and to save space and time, I'd like to know of any good quality intake manifold to suit twin downdraught webers, any people who make cams for these motors (I only know of vTech cams) and any good 4-1 long runner exhausts.

Thanks doods!

#176009 De-vac '85 Civic: How To Prodceed?

Posted by yakkmeister on 11 June 2005 - 02:17 AM in Carbs

QUOTE (eldo @ Jun 10 2005, 07:14 PM)
QUOTE (yakkmeister @ Jun 9 2005, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jun 9 2005, 03:05 PM)
Someone correct me if I am wrong but that is a  2 barrel and there are plenty of options for that at most performance garages that sell carbs.  You already have no vac system.  What we're talking about devac'ing looks like this, click here

AH! that's all messy and dirty ...

Well, if there's nothing to do ... it's not going to be a problem then.
As for the 'blow through' thing, what's the theory behind that?
What makes a carby a 'blow through' ?

Blow through carby is when you stuff boost through it from a turbo. With a few mods with that carb (need an electric fuel pump and rising rate reg also.) , you can run 13 psi. If you have a black box with a few vacuum lines going to it , then you have some devac'ing to do- remove the complete box with all those lines.

Ok. I have no turbo...
Also, that black box is the EPA gear, removing that caould cost me hafty fines, right?
In QLD Oz, that is.

My dad used to do mods like the one described above years ago, he's suggested he have a look and see what he can do.
I'll keep you all posted.

#175838 De-vac '85 Civic: How To Prodceed?

Posted by yakkmeister on 09 June 2005 - 11:39 PM in Carbs

QUOTE (badpenny @ Jun 9 2005, 03:05 PM)
Someone correct me if I am wrong but that is a  2 barrel and there are plenty of options for that at most performance garages that sell carbs.  You already have no vac system.  What we're talking about devac'ing looks like this, click here

AH! that's all messy and dirty ...

Well, if there's nothing to do ... it's not going to be a problem then.
As for the 'blow through' thing, what's the theory behind that?
What makes a carby a 'blow through' ?

#175589 De-vac '85 Civic: How To Prodceed?

Posted by yakkmeister on 08 June 2005 - 11:28 PM in Carbs

Here is the Carby:

Done.

I would like to reittorate this question:
What is the benefit?

My discussions with my brothers has resulted in serious doubs about the benefit of this type of mod.
For starters, it makes the car illegal in this state (QLD). I guess that means the coppers can go and take my car away... not sure.
It also means that cold weather starting is going to be severely comprimised. That could get mighty annoying.
It has been postulated that fuel usage will be increased. This is not a plus.
So, am I going to get any real performance gains from this setup?

Thanks all.

#175561 De-vac '85 Civic: How To Prodceed?

Posted by yakkmeister on 08 June 2005 - 07:37 PM in Carbs

QUOTE (zakats @ Jun 9 2005, 07:54 AM)
is it a 85 or a 89? make up ur mind laugh.gif
We CAN defeniatly help you on this one. First i recomend you search and check FAQ. Mr. noob you wink.gif  jp  I was one not too long ago smile.gif

CRX carbs are the came as civic carbs. but that goes if you have the same engine though  they were all equipt with the same engines depending on trim and model year. there were the EW1,2,3,4,5 AKA D15a1,2,3,4,5  i believe  no the a6 defeniatly wont work for you! lol
find out which motor you have and we'll help you from there.

welcome to the best civic website you will ever find.
--zak--

'85. It was a typo. Now fixed.
Then again, was there ever an 89 civic with a single carby?

Motor is a EW2. That's the number in the manual and on the engine number.
EN: EW21241518

The CRX carby's are different in that the engines offered were different, at least I'm shure thats how it is in Australia.

I searched. Believe me, I searched, long and hard. I understand the theory, but no the practice. It's nearly impossible to find specific details on this carby... Oh well, I have a few tricks up my sleeve still, so Onward!

I'm taking the car to see my brother, who may be able to find the lines also.
I'll get the pics and let you know how it goes. If i'm successful today (and it doesn't rain) I'll have before and afters.

At least there will be a resource for anyone else too povo to get a decent motor. smile.gif

BTW: I have a PGM-FI motor (from a 1986 - and I'm shure of that - CRX/civic. A 'brown' or 'gold' motor. 1600cc I believe.) to go into this car when I have a replacement for it (I cannot afford to have no car at the moment). I rekon that'll get her going a little better than some de-vac'ing. smile.gif

#175486 De-vac '85 Civic: How To Prodceed?

Posted by yakkmeister on 08 June 2005 - 10:05 AM in Carbs

QUOTE (DarkHand @ Jun 9 2005, 01:02 AM)
The basic idea is to remove everything vacuum-wise except your distributor advance, secondary diaphragm, and float bowl vent cutoff.  You connect all three to an available venturi vacuum port on the carb and cap everything else off.

Can you get any pictures of your particular carb?

And Welcome!  biggrin.gif

Sure.

I'll try to get them tomorrow... well ... later on today.

I assume you'll want front, back and both sides.

[edit]
OK: My manual has no listing of the vacuum ports/hoses.
Any ideas where I can find this info?

#175482 De-vac '85 Civic: How To Prodceed?

Posted by yakkmeister on 08 June 2005 - 09:50 AM in Carbs

Hello people.

Starters: '85 Civic, 3 door, single carby, 12 valve from Australia.

I have read heaps of posts re de-vac procedures on CRx carbys.
It would seem that the tiny little carby on my civic is no-where-near the same layout as the CRx carby. Obviously the vac lines and ports will be represented, but I can't simply copy the crxfanatic pictures.

I am possibly going to price up and install a twin-carby setup from a later model, but this looks a decent interim solution (which is funny, since twin carbs, if they happen are an interim solution to installing my gold motor.). Swapping out the carb for another type (say a webber or holley) is not an option. I *could* get a CRx carb ... but then that could be a problem, supply wise, and if I'm buying, I may as well get the twins.

So, after all that guffaw;
What is the theory of this 'de vac' procedure?
What is the benefit?
How do you do it? (ie: what ports to what sources)
Where do you find the ports and where do you find the sources?

(I'm going to be *trying* to find the carby specific data in my electronic manual too, so I'll post whatever *I* can find too)

Thanks for your time and help!