rufusbob's Content

There have been 86 items by rufusbob (Search limited from 26-June 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#580865 Wtb: Gen1 Crx Hf Front Spoiler / Air Dam

Posted by rufusbob on 30 May 2022 - 07:11 PM in WTB

Im looking for a Gen1 CRX HF front spoiler / air dam in good to NOS condition. Anyone have one to sell? Prefer something really nice, NOS, or lightly used, but willing to consider others. Willing to pay a fair price based on condition. Thanks.

Bob

#580901 Rack & Pinion For 1gen Hf

Posted by rufusbob on 05 June 2022 - 12:41 PM in WTB

Im looking for a 1Gen CRX HF rack & pinion; either a complete assy or just the guts (rack & pinion) in good to NOS condition. Anyone have something? Prefer really nice, NOS, or lightly used, but willing to consider others. Willing to pay a fair price based on condition. Thanks.

#580904 Wtb: Gen1 Crx Hf Front Spoiler / Air Dam

Posted by rufusbob on 05 June 2022 - 12:48 PM in WTB

I gave up on finding one a few years back - I ended up using a garden edge strip that did a really nice job.  I will see if I can get a picture of it and post it.

@gtpilot - Great idea, especially with the possibility of going even deeper with the lip (my cars already lowered; Im sick) I would really appreciate any pics you can provide.

#580905 Gen 1 Aluminum Rear Brake Drums & Backing Plates

Posted by rufusbob on 05 June 2022 - 01:05 PM in WTB

Thanks for your help / ideas Victor. I found a BNIB set over on InsightCentral. I think your idea of opening up the grove on the drums is good. Should be pretty quick & easy with a dremel bit.

#580920 Rack & Pinion For 1gen Hf

Posted by rufusbob on 07 June 2022 - 09:35 AM in WTB

Hi Guys. Thanks so much for your helpful replies. From prowling this site Ive seen you both set a high bar for preserving & restoring these amazing cars. Kudos! If only the younger generation knew how cool they are! As youll learn Ive exposed my 24 yo daughter to all my cars; not sure shell become as passionate as I am, but I am sure she knows about and has a soft spot in her heart for them.

Re rack & pinions My apologizes, I should have clarified the reason for my WTB post. I bought my 87 CRX Si 8 years ago with only 82k miles. Ive only added about 10k since, so the rack & pinion is still in decent shape. Im looking for the faster steering ratio parts in the HF rack as part of a quote resto-mod unquote I plan.

Sadly, due to reasons beyond my control, the cars been subjected to sitting outside (with a broken transmission) in North Carolina since 2015.

As you might guess, theres a backstory to all this. But Ill save it for posting soon in a more appropriate place on RPR.

Mr Greasemonkey: I really like your rack and pinion rebuilding idea to extend useful life!

Cheers,
Bob

#580922 Rack & Pinion For 1gen Hf

Posted by rufusbob on 07 June 2022 - 01:06 PM in WTB

Hi Victor. My plans for 100% street use.

I picked up the HF rack & pinion idea from a list of desirable parts, etc on the CRX Community site.

My memorys kinda dim, but I seem to recall the standard CRX steering doesnt feel quite as responsive as that of my 84 Prelude or 03 S2000.

If youll post your suggested setting, Ill keep it in mind might be the reason to use my Longacre racing camber / caster gauge again. Thanks.

#580924 Rack & Pinion For 1gen Hf

Posted by rufusbob on 07 June 2022 - 03:27 PM in WTB

Excellent. Thanks Victor.

#580935 Black ‘87 Crx Si Resto-mod “hoot”

Posted by rufusbob on 09 June 2022 - 02:08 PM in Appearance

Hi Folks - I had an 87 CRX Si as my DD for 85k miles between 87 and 93. In 2014 I realized it was the car I missed most of all cars Id driven.

So I bought this 87 CRX Si with about 82k miles. Its Mugen LSD, low miles, lowered stance and condition were what attracted me. It appeared to have only 4 flaws at the time: it needed a new muffler, would soon need new tires, had one cracked plastic panel (a door cap) and the sunroof opened but wouldnt close under power. I took a floor jack & jack stands to enable inspecting underneath before negotiating the purchase. Soon after getting it home, I changed the engine & transmission oils and sent samples for analysis. The results were reassuring.

I drove it about 7k miles before something apparently let loose in the transmission in early 2015.

Sadly the cars been relegated to sitting outside in the elements ever since, and other priorities have prevented investigation of the transmission problem.

My neglect has taken its toll: practically all the plastic panels are now cracked or broken, and other problems have cropped up, like the fuel level gage not working and parking brake warning light being on continuously. Who knows what else since I only start & warm up the engine a couple of times a month. Even worse, I discovered a rust perforation in the RR corner of the floor floor just forward of the suspension attachment. When I jacked it up in 2014 to inspect it, I jacked the opposite side up and obviously missed the rust. It has that awful Rusty Jones, Ziebart kinda stuff smeared on the floor, so my 1st job will be removing it all to determine the full extent of the rust once its in the garage. Luckily the interiors still as nice as when I bought it.

Im really hopeful the floorpan isnt too bad. If so, Ill restore it; but not to completely original condition. Ive been reluctant to take it further away from original. But now the need for plastic panel repair / replacement, and the limited availability parts for maintaining major components like the D15A3s distributor, provide rationale to create a resto-mod focusing mostly on mechanicals. Its important to me to stay close to the original exterior & interior appearances. Im ok with an engine swap, but wish the engine compartment to look to the untrained eye like an original Honda installation, if that makes sense. A personally imposed constraint is that the OE wheels remain. Part of the plan includes compensating for the added drivetrain weight as much as possible with weight reduction measures; overall, but especially up front.

So far, these are the possible changes Ive identified:

Carbon fiber hood, sunroof, and to replace all the plastic body panels.
Either B18C or K20A swap with suitable LSD transmission, both freshly rebuilt to OE performance levels.
Wilwood aluminum 4 piston front calipers (have yet to put any research or thought into the appropriate M/C).
Delete F/R bars under the bumper covers, A/C, replace std battery with lithium. Remove radio & speakers, and as much of sunroof & rear wiper motors, mechanisms, etc. as feasible.

Lately Ive been looking around RPR mostly researching swaps, posting WTBs for parts, etc.. So far, I have a pair of NOS aluminum drums, and ordered an adjustable panhard bar.

Facilitating this project will be emptying my 1 and 1/2 car garage of 2 old Corvettes, an old Porsche and a disassembled Rotary lift. The CRX and my 1970 914/6 w/2.7l RS spec engine will take their place, and be keepers until such time as my 24 yo daughter has to deal with them.

Here are some photos from early 2021:

https://next.photobu....com/u/rufusbob

https://imgur.com/user/rufusbob

#580937 Black ‘87 Crx Si Resto-mod “hoot”

Posted by rufusbob on 09 June 2022 - 05:34 PM in Appearance

Hi Victor- Thanks for your encouragement. As you probably suspect it was your thread that inspired the K-series thought. A quick search showed what you mention; K’s are currently less $ than B’s.

#580939 Black ‘87 Crx Si Resto-mod “hoot”

Posted by rufusbob on 09 June 2022 - 09:08 PM in Appearance

Victor, I agree with everything you say on B vs K; especially wrt superior torque of the K. Appears to me the choice is clear once a kit is available due to the similarity in weights.

#580945 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 11 June 2022 - 06:19 PM in Swaps

We did some work on my car tonight and some videoing.

First we scaled the car empty and with me in it for our baseline.
In the process of removing my B16 we are doing a reverse how to B swap 1st/3rd gens.  Kind of a cool idea Brian came up with.  We also did a small segment on corner balancing and how the B vs K engine position will improve balance.

52051139057_cbaf7ff825_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

We have everything drained and disconnected so Saturday we are dropping the motor and trans and prepping the bay for the K swap!  Feels like suddenly things are moving quickly!

Hi Victor - Thanks for sharing through this process; really valuable info.

Will there be corner balance figures for the K to share soon for comparison with the B? Should be really interesting!

#580947 Black ‘87 Crx Si Resto-mod “hoot”

Posted by rufusbob on 12 June 2022 - 12:02 PM in Appearance

Thanks much Guys. I love 1Gen CRXs.

na-spirit I tried uploading photos to Imgur; hopefully you can see them now

greasemonkey re the blown tranny. I think most likely abuse, or possibly track time. But when I get time, Ill definitely investigate. Im not home now, and dont have my Honda service manual in front of me. But IIRC, there are 2 screws which attach one end of the transmission counter shaft to the housing. Just speculation, but I wonder if the 2 pops I heard in transitioning from coasting to light uphill load were them letting go? Well see

And btw the time spent outside resulted from having too many cars, magnified by a long contentious divorce settlement

#580948 86 Si Restore.

Posted by rufusbob on 12 June 2022 - 05:43 PM in Appearance

na-spirit … your Si is makin me drool. It looks awesome. Great work!

#580955 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 20 June 2022 - 06:53 PM in Swaps

In researching K-swaps, I found this on K transmissions and thought itd be helpful to add here

https://www.hybrid-r...-guide#comments

Are all of them swap candidates or just some? (I.e. 5 vs 6 speeds, early vs later model years?)

And does anyone know what the 5 vs 6 spd weight difference is? (Makes sense the 6spd would be a little heavier, but I also read somewhere online the 6spd has a different, weight saving case.)

#580957 Amazing 85

Posted by rufusbob on 23 June 2022 - 11:42 AM in 1G CRX

What a really cool CRX this is with some very rare & desirable parts.

At 1st glance I thought its the same one I stumbled across recently on the internet:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=-dZKfwr2Y9M

Ive considered every option I can think of to get my 87 Si back on the road (with significantly more performance than it originally had). I want to minimize the need for sourcing unobtainium parts to maintain it over the long run so I can drive and enjoy it. Clearly I dont have the network of contacts and funding the owner of this threads subject car has.

I decided a swap to a more modern drivetrain suits my needs better.

Im determined to turn my Si into a fun, reliable high level driver most likely with a K swap

#580959 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 25 June 2022 - 03:45 PM in Swaps

@cspcrx - Hi Victor. I messaged Hasport yesterday asking about the EW K Swap kit.

As soon as they release the kit, I plan to order it, and to pull the trigger on an engine & tranny.

#580961 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 26 June 2022 - 09:38 PM in Swaps

Very cool Victor. Keeping the original functional dash has been a concern. Looks like you have an excellent solution. And I have another item on my list of things to get.

Good luck Wednesday night.

#580963 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 27 June 2022 - 09:41 PM in Swaps

FWIW and maybe something to consider

The other day I was thinking that since the K swap puts the header in close proximity to the firewall, it might be a good idea to add some insulation before engine installation.

I faced a similar problem when building my ERA 427 Cobra replica 20 years ago. Each header ran close to a foot box. ERA offered an optional aluminum shield, which I incorporated on each side. But I went a step further by riveting an extra layer of insulation incorporating NASA space shuttle material to each shield where it runs closest to the foot box. At the time Id learned the NASCAR guys were using it to keep exhaust heat out of the cockpit. BSR-TPS custom made two slightly different panels to dimensions I provided.

The name & address of the company is:
BSR-TPS Products, Inc.
Thermal Protection Systems
155C Rolling Hill Rd.
Moorsesville, NC 28115

Thats from my 1997 invoice; but no phone number. I just searched online. Theres a business listing, but no website or phone number, and a different street number 149 Rolling Hills Rd. So I have no idea if the business is still operating or not.

Im flat out right now with the differential out of the rear end of my 66 Corvette, one last turd left by the PO. I have to get that back together, cleaned up, etc to sell. The Vettes gotta go to make garage space for the CRX, and then Ill devote more than just minimal time to it. But if I do find time, Ill explore BSR & post a phone number here.

#580965 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 28 June 2022 - 12:30 PM in Swaps

If the K swap headers aren’t too close, that’s great news.

Something else triggered my thinking. While waiting for differential parts, I’ve been cleaning years, or probably decades, of grime underneath the Corvette floor resulting from oil leaks. Chevrolet installed a foil backed, fiberglass blanket attached inside the tunnel & covering most of the transmission.

I may still do something, maybe not as drastic as the BSR-TPS stuff. I’m looking forward to some installation pics, and reports of first hand experience, from you guys who’re ahead of me in the process.

#580967 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 28 June 2022 - 02:23 PM in Swaps

This is really exciting Victor. I hope the install goes smoothly.

BTW: I received an answer from Hasport Sales on my inquiry. They said, as you already know, the kits in the works and not yet available. The purpose of my inquiry was mostly to show interest. IMHO the K swap is a great answer for many who have G1 CRX Sis who want to drive and enjoy them. Should make the car more like they shouldve been IF the K / VTEC technology was available 20 years earlier. And the availability of OE and aftermarket parts will permit more enjoyment of these amazing pocket rockets.

#580969 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 29 June 2022 - 11:07 PM in Swaps

Hang in there Victor. You’re getting close

#580972 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 11 July 2022 - 05:33 AM in Swaps

Super cool Victor! Can’t wait to see the finished installation!

#580976 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 17 July 2022 - 08:58 PM in Swaps

52223891690_bd8f83c27d_c.jpgUntitled by Victor M, on Flickr

We did some painting in the engine bay to cover up some of the decades of wear and tear.  We also cleaned up the wiring harness that is in the engine bay and tucked the stuff we dont need or will connect to back in the cabin.

torqued everything down and installed the header.  Next we will be tackling axles, half shaft, shifter and cables.  I am also going to start mocking up the fuel system in the engine bay.

Awesome! Great work! Makes me droooool!

#580977 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 17 July 2022 - 09:01 PM in Swaps

Ive been running the speed box for a year and a half..interested where you got the custom cable or if you can get another

@Mag00n, IIRC Victor posted somewhere (probably earlier in this thread) that Speed Hut made the custom cable for him. If so, Im guessing all thats needed is to specify its to connect to a Gen 1 CRX speedo. I need to order one myself. I havent because other car priorities have consumed my time recently. But as soon as the Hasport K mount kit is released, Ill be ordering lots of stuff, including a speed box.

I imagine hell be along to confirm or correct me.

#580979 K Swap Knowledge Dump

Posted by rufusbob on 17 July 2022 - 11:19 PM in Swaps

Victor, thanks for correcting me and posting the link to Speed Meter