• You cannot reply to this topic
64 replies to this topic

shadowboy

• RPR Resident Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX HF, D16A1-powah
    Garage View Garage
My observation, after tearing apart the speedometer of both my 87 HF and my 89 teg LS, is that you can put a VSS on *ANY* g1 CRX speedometer (and I venture to guess, the 86-87 teg cluster, too)

the reason? the main speedometer pieces of my 89 teg and my 87 CRX HF are IDENTICAL. the only difference between the two are how the trip odometer is attached, and the VSS itself. (and the VSS pulser difference is minor at that).

here are pictures:

This first one is the teg and CRX speedometers with all the extra stuff removed(VSS, upshift indicator, trip odometer, gauge face, needle etc). the teg speedo's odometer reads 185k, the CRX 157k. 89 Teg LS, 87 CRX HF.

these are the other 3 sides:

Edited by shadowboy, 15 June 2007 - 01:27 PM.

Shawn
--------
1987 CRX HF, black top D16A1 power.
Best ET so far: 15.130 @ 88.53mph

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
here is the VSS pulser, the CRX one has a metal bracket, the 88-89 teg is all plastic:

CRX speedo with CRX pulser, showing the screw location:

Same Speedometer, teg pulser:

Teg pulser, different angle:

CRX speedo, with CRX trip odometer attached:

CRX speed, Teg trip odometer:

CRX speedo + trip odometer, in the instrument cluster housing.

ok, before i go on to the other part, i must mention this one thing.

i used my HF pulser instead of the integra one. the reason is that the integra pulser's contacts (where the screws go in from the back of the cluster housing) stick out about 1-2mm further than the CRX HF's. upon closer inspection of the housing, the CRX housing has an extra 1-2mm of plastic where the holes are. you will know what i am talking about when you see it. it is a raised part. just grind that down level if you use an 88-89 teg pulser.

Edited by shadowboy, 15 June 2007 - 01:28 PM.

Shawn
--------

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
the next step i had to take was use of the integra amplifier. i had two reasons for this need.

1: the VSS amplifier wiring harness is different in the teg than the CRX HF. i want as clean wiring as possible, so i wanted to use the integra amplifier.
2: the integra amplifier has the cruise control indicator light, i am even transferring the cruise control of my LS over to my HF. (i even have the integra steering wheel and turn signal/wiper stalk in the CRX, for use of the set/resume buttons, the main power button i am going to wire in via a toggle switch).

this should be of note to anyone who wants to do a black top D16A1 swap, or a later B-series swap because this way you can grab the VSS AND amplifier off an integra and use it on your CRX speedometer cluster. here come the pics.

here is the integra amplifier & harness:

the blue wire is ground, i screwed it to the common ground of all the indicator bulbs on the CRX cluster:

there is no pretty cover, and the amplifier is held on by one screw only. kinda ghetto, but no one will see it so who cares. just be careful when plugging in the VSS harness.

The cruise indicator light is just hanging in the upshift indicator light hole. i scratched out the box where the pgm-fi light is. if the ECU throws a code, all i will see is a red rectangle, but it is all i would need to know if there is a code thrown. the upshift indicator is used as a cruise control indicator now, and the light, as i said is just loose in there. in this photo i had forgotten to put a bulb in the pgm-fi spot, but that is ok. i just took it apart, took one of the bulbs from the integra cluster, and installed it here.

i removed the upshift indicator piece/harness because the teg wiring will not use it. the lens made an appropriate place to put the teg cruise control indicator.

for the pgm-fi light i stole the lens from the seat belt indicator. i used that one because that light only goes on for a few seconds when you start the car (and i always use my seat belt so it will go off anyway in a few seconds)

Edited by shadowboy, 15 June 2007 - 01:28 PM.

Shawn
--------

pwr_crx

nice write up, this should help alot of people out.

Now, will i be able to put an upshift light in my 87 Si?
Bryan....
user posted image

87 Si Dohc - T

CSPCRX

Thats a very detailed writeup and I know this will help alot of people out there. When I did mine I used an HF speedo assembly. I did not use the amplifier though. I hooked one of the wires from the speedo to ground and one to the ecu and it works perfectly. Now I am using a Zdyne Gold ecu but I think that would have no effect.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Very well done, and informative, Shadowboy!

I wonder if that would work with a civic cluster?

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
YOu can also use a 2g VSS.

I always loose the link, but the one guy that had a Auto B16a 1g DX used it and had no problems.. i think he sold the car.

rpr has his page layin around, informative as hell about converting to FI and stuff.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Rampage @ Mar 12 2004, 07:57 PM)
Very well done, and informative, Shadowboy! 

I wonder if that would work with a civic cluster? 

Cheers,
Mark

i don't see why not. there was considerable similarity between the 89 teg and 87 HF cluster, i have no reason to believe the civic cluster would be any different. if there are differences i am sure they would be minor, but i'd guess that the speedo unit is VERY similar to the CRX/Teg one. you really don't get much different than the teg and HF systems.

most of the difference i noticed between the teg and HF had to do with the way the VSS is wired in to the chassis.

the Amplifier on the HF had a smaller blue connector, and the Teg one had a yellow connector that looks almost like the upshift indicator connector on the CRX.

my guess is that on the HF the pulser goes to the amplifier, which goes into the emissions control unit (not the real ECU, the quasi-computer of the carbeurated cars), then the emissions box sends a signal back to the upshift indicator when to turn it on.

the teg has all of that stuff in one unit (with one connector), except instead of an upshift indicator, it has a cruise control indicator.
Shawn
--------

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
another thing i had noticed, was that you could use the integra speedo inside the CRX cluster. the only problem is the gauge face. the teg speedo face is different than the CRX. lining up zero on both gauges, 130mph on the teg speedo reads 110 on the CRX speedo. you'd be going A LOT faster than what the speedo reads.

the other problem with using the teg speedo on the CRX cluster, is that the stop for the CRX cluster is located inside the unit, but on the teg, there is a small peg on the gauge face. if you use the teg speedo unit with the CRX gauge face, the needle will actually travel backwards and read negative mph when you put the car in reverse wink.gif
Shawn
--------

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
i made a minor change. the ground wire for the VSS got mounted to the screw right below the one pictured. the screw below the one pictured was on the same circuit that the VSS amp was grounded to on the integra cluster.
Shawn
--------

UltimX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
how do you know if your car comes with vss? And is it possible to have it on a 2g rex? What is the advantage of vss and non? Also, wheres the upshift light on the guage cluster?

Edited by UltimX, 25 April 2004 - 03:01 PM.

shadowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (UltimX @ Apr 25 2004, 02:51 PM)
how do you know if your car comes with vss? And is it possible to have it on a 2g rex? What is the advantage of vss and non? Also, wheres the upshift light on the guage cluster?

only the 1g HFs had VSS, the 2gs have VSS as do the 88-89 integras. all should work ok on a CRX cluster.
Shawn
--------

civtrx

• Craig M.
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Honda Civic 1500-S
was looking over this, and thought i'd see if anyone has the pictures for this thread saved?

-Civ
user posted image
^^^^^ R.I.P 05/16/05. . . you will be missed my Civic! ^^^^^

t-image-inc

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si
bump

redteg87

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip