Guess Who's Back? 'new' 1986 Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage

I figure if I'm going to be a moderator here still, I should probably buy another 1G/3G right?

It doesn't pass smog, its non-op'd right now and sitting in my garage, but would you take a look at that...

BXRXUdh.jpg

TBrC6UC.jpgXLJ8nTk.jpg

hj4KEbr.jpgrh3JE8a.jpg

s16374v.jpg4lUakCy.jpg

kNMNk47.jpg

I'm a shitty mechanic and I don't ever have anyone to help me, also I'm weak, so, I suspect this one will either never see the road again and just look pretty in my garage in various states of "together" and "not so together" or take a few years to get to the point where it can be back on the road.

The smog failure was for CO%, 1.44 meas, 0.70 max. on the 15mph test, 25mph is clean.

I suspect MAP, Coolant temp sensor, FPR or O2 sensor maybe?

I haven't had a chance to do anything other than take it around the block and silently contemplate my questionable financial decision but I have noticed the following.

It has Mr. D's awesomesauce mugen repro wing on the back

It has some coil overs? Blue springs with blue shocks/struts on the back? Who... made these? ideas?

It has a strut bar with preload... no idea who made this?

It has an aftermarket header that's been wrapped... O2 bung faced straight UP before it dumps, any ideas?

It has some CRAZY /short/ and I mean SHORT shifter on it, its anodized red!? /old/ Chedda...?

Rear speaker grills and brackets.... with speakers!

Viper alarm (OH GOD PLEASE GIVE ME A NEW WIRING HARNESS!)

Retrofit HID headlights.......... both 'fire', only one actually lights

Exhaust is NOT AT ALL stock, in any way!

it idles... not so hot

Rear main seal looks like its utterly wrecked and leaking.

A/C car! ..... no compressor!

Sunroof doesn't fully open or close... damn

Owner was an RPR member, doesn't know what his old username was... supposedly had a build thread... is this car familiar to anyone?

Was told a new clutch was put in about 4 months ago, it seems to grab OK, but it has /MILES/ of take up before it catches, then does so smoothly with zero effort.

Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

YAY! 

SHOGUNOVDDRK

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 civic hatchback
Yiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzsssssssssssssssssss
QUOTE(SHOGUNOVDDRK;835304)
the import scene has kinda become like emo's.... its killing itself whilst looking overdressed and in drag

QUOTE(phyregod;835835)
Sig worthy. But mine is full.

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si (project), 98' GMC K2500 BIG BLOCK 4WD, 2008 Honda Fit Sport, 2017 Chevrolet Volt
    Garage View Garage

Been sick since yesterday, started it up since I bought it sort of "sight unseen" and only drove it around the block and was pleasantly surprised by the sights!

It doesn't seem to get warm, so it probably needs a thermostat STAT!

It makes.... this.... lovely noise the warmer it gets, seems to be pinging /REALLY/ bad at idle!?

Anyone in/around Sacramento around here still?

Full of The Internets!
etmydst - ""...and since he was the hardest gangster in all of stockton they were to scared to go in his house so they drove by and said "slow down forest"..."
My Vouch Thread

CSPCRX

Nice ride! A little cleanup and some tweeking and she will be good to go!

Strut tower brace is from lightspeed. I know because of the mounts, have themmin the garage!

Enjoy!

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Nice ride! A little cleanup and some tweeking and she will be good to go!

Strut tower brace is from lightspeed. I know because of the mounts, have themmin the garage!

Enjoy!

Nice! If I remember right lightspeed stuff was desired!

Having a hell of a time with parts... Majestic is a brick wall at the end of a dead end, they list everything as unavailable.

Rock Auto has almost nothing in stock, and what they do have is... questionable.

Craigslist has /NOTHING/

Ebay has /nooooooothing/ at all..

Pretty much I'm looking for an EW4/D15A3 that needs to be rebuilt I think, and I'd really like to find a reman distributor or something clean as a spare, stock header would be nice, wiring harness inside (and engine, headlights, etc)

Anyone have the test procedures for the MAP, temp, FPR, etc, ohms/volts and so forth?  FSM and ALLDATA are not a lot of help as far as I can tell, a vac diagram that makes a bit more sense might help me out as well...

Since its NON-OP'd and can't be driven on the road, when I do go smog it, suppose I'll have to tow it there but how the hell am I supposed to get it hot and make sure the CAT lights off?!

Full of The Internets!
My Vouch Thread

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Trying to track down the owner history of this car on the site, I can say FOR SURE that this was 1GEN_SI86's car

http://www.redpepper...p?showuser=6138

Further info...

http://www.redpepper...e=5#entry483032

and all this seems to match... 

http://www.redpepper...id=330&tab=mods

The mods and the pictures posted match, they sold the car to /another/ member here on April 15 2012...  I am severely curious now! Any ideas on where the history of this car went from there?

Full of The Internets!
My Vouch Thread

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

She's purdy shot jim...

going to try pulling the engine/trans this weekend, first time doing anything like /any/ of this, what fun!

*blissful ignorance!*

Full of The Internets!
My Vouch Thread

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Rockers seem to have a lot of play, I don't thing the valves are anywhere near "adjusted" right now.

Pretty gnarly in there too, black and nasty, hard life it seems.

g3Ly3N0.jpg

And it looks like someone's been choochin' around in here, valve cover is 'cleaned up' a bit...

8uEFSPS.jpg

Full of The Internets!
My Vouch Thread

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

What is the best way to sling this engine with a cherrypicker/engine hoist?

I've never lifted an engine out before, but I'm going to grab a picker and have at this weekend, this thing is coming out and getting gone over or replaced with a reman.

Full of The Internets!
My Vouch Thread

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Blue coil over springs say Monkeytek to me.

Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

CRXer87hf

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX HF, 1985 Honda CRX SI, 2003 Land Rover Disco
    Garage View Garage

What is the best way to sling this engine with a cherrypicker/engine hoist?

I've never lifted an engine out before, but I'm going to grab a picker and have at this weekend, this thing is coming out and getting gone over or replaced with a reman.

A lot of guys will use chains, but since most Honda engines are light enough, you can use tow straps.  I've used an engine hoist with tow straps before and it works great... also they don't scratch or dent engine parts.  I usually use two straps that are would around the engine, as far apart from each other (at the lowest point) without allowing the chance for either of them to slip off during removal.  Make sure the straps aren't pressing on any connectors or sensitive components.  Good luck!

Build thread: "Skittle 2.0" - http://www.redpepper...l=&fromsearch=1
Build thread 2: "Red Daily"http://www.redpepper...topic=55687&hl=

My Classic Honda Blog - http://genone-blog.blogspot.com/

Road & Track magazine: "When they get around to listing the top good-time inventions of the late 20th century, we're willing to bet that right up there with the hang gliders, ultra lights, sailboards and jet skis you'll find the Honda Civic CRX. And we're willing to bet that the CRX won't be at the bottom of the short list--particularly if the CRX in question is an Si."

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

Well, since getting the engine and transmission out, I haven't made a lot of progress.

Mostly I learned that these days, D15A1/EW series engines have gone from "kinda hard to get stuff for" to "LOL NOPE!"...

Disheartening, annoying, slightly frustrating because I can't really build the car I /want/ in a reliable way that meets California emissions and will /continue/ to meet them or be as bulletproof was I want.

So! I think probably the best idea is to pivot from "Build it original and period" to... buying a B18C1, getting a cable transmission, an LSD, slapping it in there and then sending it off to a shop with a note that says:

"Hi, please redo the wiring harness, put some axles in and emissions control me so hard I pass BAR/REF in California please - Love Xipher XOXOXOXO enclosed is a check for like a lot of money kthnx bai!"

Then keep the /look/ of the car very period correct, don't go crazy, just clean inside and out.

What I /want/ is a bulletproof CRX that I can bolt on "reliable" goodies, put in great pistons, rods, valves, a nice big baffled oilpan, a great clutch, and make a respectable transmission with an LSD.  The sort of car that makes you smile and lets you have fun because its overbuilt and you just won't break it, so turn the key and have fun.  I am... /so/ done with cars that just make me wince between every smile and hear "KA-CHING!" on every shift or bump in the road, want to go back to just having a car I want to drive and it rewards me for it.

Full of The Internets!
My Vouch Thread

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

You should add a bit to the note that says "P.S. don't lean on the fenders or header panel." 

If you have the money to throw a B18 in it, I'd suggest going that route.  Upgrading it now or down the road, whether in the transmission or engine will be so much easier and yield a better bang for the buck. 

I rebuilt a D15A3 a year'ish ago and had no problem tracking down engine parts.  I'm not sure how your build would have to differ from mine due to smog laws though.  I would assume as long as the factory emission sensors and controls are intact you should be good to go.  As you're probably aware, you'll probably end up spending the same or more money getting the 1.5 up to snuff (lsd, header, D16 intake & adapter, cam, etc...) as you would by throwing a B18 in there with an LSD.  You'd have more power to play with off the bat and an aftermarket that isn't shrinking day by day. 

Xipher

• OMG! I posted THAT!?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage

You should add a bit to the note that says "P.S. don't lean on the fenders or header panel." 

If you have the money to throw a B18 in it, I'd suggest going that route.  Upgrading it now or down the road, whether in the transmission or engine will be so much easier and yield a better bang for the buck. 

I rebuilt a D15A3 a year'ish ago and had no problem tracking down engine parts.  I'm not sure how your build would have to differ from mine due to smog laws though.  I would assume as long as the factory emission sensors and controls are intact you should be good to go.  As you're probably aware, you'll probably end up spending the same or more money getting the 1.5 up to snuff (lsd, header, D16 intake & adapter, cam, etc...) as you would by throwing a B18 in there with an LSD.  You'd have more power to play with off the bat and an aftermarket that isn't shrinking day by day. 

That leads me to a good question.

A B18C1 with transmission seems to run around $1200~ ready to go.

Hasport mounts are about $400

Wire harness looks to run around $1000

Not sure how much a good set of axles would be...

What would or /should/ a good shop charge to get the engine wired, fired and compliant?

I'm not /too/ worried about it, in my mind I see it do-able for around $6500 but maybe I'm wrong...?

Full of The Internets!
My Vouch Thread