Foam Filled Chassis?!?! Has It Been Done?

• You cannot reply to this topic
31 replies to this topic

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 1500 dx hatch 5 speed - 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed - 2006 Subaru Forester

I am planning on painting my 3G this summer... So, while I have it stripped down I thought about doing the foam filled chassis for stiffness.  Has anyone here tried this?  Haven't found a thread on it...

Thanks

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

I don't think this is a good idea but maybe someone else will disagree. I know people that would carve out rust holes, fill it with foam, and bondo over the top and it would never last.............With that being said if there is any moisture in your chassis when you fill it with foam, and there is moisture in the air, if that is sealed in by the foam the only way for it to come out is to rust it's way out. If you wanna strengthen your chassis I would say add a roll bar or weld in some other structural support. If you don't want to weld you can add the strut bars to the front and rear,strut bars, a B pillar bar and a C pillar bar, fender braces, ect..... check out the stuff Chedda is making. Once you decide to do this it would be difficult to undo.

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1985 1500 dx hatch 5 speed - 2008 Honda Fit Sport 5 speed - 2006 Subaru Forester

This is the thread I was reviewing:

http://www.sr20-foru...ng-chassis.html

Supposedly made a huge difference...

I understand about the water issue, but if my car has been parked for a long period of time with the interior removed, I don't think that would be an issue. I am interested in the front fender brace cheddaj makes as that seems to be the part of my car that seems to be weakest... Also thinking that the back ind must be like a can with the end cut off since I have a hatch...

Harvey886

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 1500 S

That's Dumb.

"The shortest distance between two points is not necessarily a straight line. It all depends on how fast you are going compared to the other person." See... I paid attention in geometry.

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip

That's Dumb.

Care to elaborate?

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I have heard of this being done within the closed sections of the chassis - like the body and engine bay rails and body sill. The idea is that the foam keeps the sides of these sections stabilised and so improves stiffness. As there aren't a lot of sections like that in the body, I can't see there would be a lot of advantage.

I still like the option of taking some of the straman additional stiffening to improve the torsional stiffness of the bodies.
anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

asianflava

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 07 Tundra CrewMax 89 Si hatch 85 & 91 CRX Si
You'd better hope that no moisture gets trapped in the foam.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage

You know what works better? Speed holes through out all the pillars and adding gussets with more speed holes. Then a DOM roll cage.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

Did this to my racecar,  It never see's the street and very little rain.  Basically foamed the side running board area and a few other small spots 

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip

Did this to my racecar,  It never see's the street and very little rain.  Basically foamed the side running board area and a few other small spots 

could you tell a difference?

Harvey886

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 1500 S

Care to elaborate?

What happens when you leave wet clothes in a washing machine for a week, MOLD! same thing will happen whith spray foam. no air movement and warm moist environments equal mold. Your car will start smelling like a pair of moldy socks especially when humidity is high. If you are going to do it get foam that is mold resitent. You would be better off with chassis stiffeners.

"The shortest distance between two points is not necessarily a straight line. It all depends on how fast you are going compared to the other person." See... I paid attention in geometry.

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si (project), 99 4Runner Limited, 2005 AstroVan

This is the thread I was reviewing:

http://www.sr20-foru...ng-chassis.html

Supposedly made a huge difference...

I understand about the water issue, but if my car has been parked for a long period of time with the interior removed, I don't think that would be an issue. I am interested in the front fender brace cheddaj makes as that seems to be the part of my car that seems to be weakest... Also thinking that the back ind must be like a can with the end cut off since I have a hatch...

I saw that thread a few years back... read the whole thing.  Then i did a lot more research and decided to do it.  I foamed my project 3g civic in dry conditions (in my garage for months prior) and I can tell you without a doubt that it makes the chassis way stiffer.

I can't give any feedback about how it feels on the road because it's still on stands in my garage (i have 3 kids and no spare time).  I can, however, share this tidbit: when I was putting it up on the jackstands at all 4 corners after foaming it, one of my jackstands was a notch lower than the other 3 (1/2 inch), and the chassis was teetering above it.

If you have any questions let me know.

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip

I saw that thread a few years back... read the whole thing.  Then i did a lot more research and decided to do it.  I foamed my project 3g civic in dry conditions (in my garage for months prior) and I can tell you without a doubt that it makes the chassis way stiffer.

I can't give any feedback about how it feels on the road because it's still on stands in my garage (i have 3 kids and no spare time).  I can, however, share this tidbit: when I was putting it up on the jackstands at all 4 corners after foaming it, one of my jackstands was a notch lower than the other 3 (1/2 inch), and the chassis was teetering above it.

If you have any questions let me know.

What did you fill?  Frame rails?  

curtperry

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 Civic Si (project), 99 4Runner Limited, 2005 AstroVan

Here is where the structural 8lb/cu.ft. foam went:

foam_location1.jpg

foam_location2.jpg

foam_location3.jpg

foam_location4.jpg

soycory

• Meh
  • PipPip
THAT is awesome! That is exactly what I want to do. Looks like it could really help. Your pictures are great. Thanks