Operation: Tigerrex

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

BobCatRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '92, accord ex, "adult vehicle" '87 crx si, Operation: TigerRex FOR SALE
My Dad has offered me the use of his tools AAAnd with it his help... he insists. :) It's ok, Who doesn't like a little bonding time with their pops right? It means things won't be done exactly as I would do them myself, but hey, I'll probably learn something. & PopRivets, gotta love em' right? LOL XD
First Before and Afters of some problems I had with my 87 si.
Previous owner stored his boat stuff in the back, so, salt water... yeah... in a CRX. Hence the gnarly holes in the corner and the weird rusting in the rear interior. Living in the NW probably contributed to the fender rust and rock dings. shocking I know. So, Watcha think? Not bad given this is my first foray in to rust repair and Bondo Work, kinda like drywall work though. Anyway, please, have mercy. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by BobCatRex, 03 October 2012 - 09:17 PM.

kess

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: RPR member #40. 1987 CRX Si, 1988 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si/JRSC
I've seen worse - LOTS worse. Looks like you are a perfectionist so I have high hopes for your project. Just do it the correct way - as you see it - and welcome some insight from your Dad. Wish I was doing a project with my Son right now...
When the Student is ready the Teacher appears...

BobCatRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '92, accord ex, "adult vehicle" '87 crx si, Operation: TigerRex FOR SALE
Thanks for the compliment Kess! :D I'm doing my best. I may not be the technical genius and gear head that a lot of the fellow forumers are, but I love nothing more than driving my rex around. I've driven lots of cars and trucks from 79 fiat to 25,995 lb box truck... and 1st gen rex's are my favorite out of everything. And I agree, I've seen a lot worse too, especially where the sunroof is concerned... and segway too.....
... today's update from yesterday and today.
Took the Roof off for the first time ever... Rust around the edges but really not as bad as I thought, but not as good as I had hoped either.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imageso I did a bunch of sanding, copper wire brushing, and ultimately a special paint that supposedly stops rust completely ...and takes 6 hours to dry!!! After that, cleaned up the rubber really nice after having an expert examine it and tell me it was cherries :D threw on a coat of primer sanded etc...Posted Imageput a little of that anti-rust paint around the rim of the roof for good measure, and picked my color for the ... well you'll see eventually... as I've seen others say "Not bad for a rattle can". :DPosted Imageand last but not least I painted the visors and panel that goes on the underside of the roof, will be painting the rest of the beige trim black as well when I get around to it. after installing, I think it looks pretty slick ;D
Posted ImageThat's it for now! Going to meet up with a fella tomorrow to buy his flashing piece for under the tail lights (the piece with the little 'si' insignia on it) as mine was bent up gnarly by some jack rear-ending me coming out of a parking lot.

BobCatRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Todays update, supposed to rain for the foreseeable future or at least the next 9 months (thanks washington state.) So i figured a little water control was in order. Blew out my 2 clogged sunroof lines and replaced the 2 rear lines with new line. for some reason they didnt reach all the way to the exit tubes unless you yanked on um real good. maybe they shrunk over time? did some more undercoating on a couple places i missed and redid the seals around the tail lights with some fancy motor home window sealer, i hope it does the trick, I'll find out tomorrow, AAAnd while i had everything off I figured I'd finish up my blackification of the overhead interior. I've got it all drying in the garage right now since i want to see how the repairs make out in tomorrows fine weather. I also fixed my rear bumper as best I could. turns out one of my supports is all kinds of rusted out and even bent to hell. Anybody have any hints/clues/advice on what i can do with this? Aside from the nothing I'm doing atm. :) Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

BobCatRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Here's some new progress, prepping and doing more paint stuffs today. Got rid of the rear wiper and logically the wiper washer with that. also repaired a ding the previous owner got in the driver door from a rock blasting out of a big trucks tire, My god, that could have really messed a person up, makes me glad I don't ride motorcycles any more. also, finished painting the upper rear interior and seat belt attachers. Had some custom seat/steering wheel/visor covers made, but I won't be posting a pic of those till we're about all done. :)
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

BobCatRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well, lets catch everyone up on the progress here, I realize I probably should have filed this thread under appearance, but I'm sure a mod can move it if it's a problem. ... anyhoo, my progress thus far, before and after pictures then shall we?
door before, notice the handle all loosey goosey, bought it that way, what was i thinking right? Well, epoxy is my friend.
Posted Image
for anyone curious as to how to redo your interior door panels, they unscrew, pop out, and have these gnarly little clip things on the back you have to bend back to get at the thin sheet metal panel that holds the upholstery on.
Posted Image
a little paint scraper to remove the old, a little bad ass fleece for look and feel, a little upholstery glue spray, (follow those directions boys and girls) and bam!
Posted Image
Oh, it's pretty, it's so pretty! more on the interior later...
On to the Exterior!
A heat gun is handy for getting those SI accent stripes off the side, and 180 grit sand paper helps make quick work smoothing out the edges and rock chips and etc... 600 grit is nice for blending it all in, imo... put a nice scratch on the paint, alchyhol swab everything down and I tape off where I'm pretty sure I don't want paint... pretty sure anyway...
Posted Image
Posted Image
PRIMER!
Posted Image
Hell that's so pretty I'm tempted to keep it gray. ... nah... (couldn't take off one blinker because its um.. cough glued on now, bought a replacement today but someone was in too much of a hurry to wait for me to get back with it, so it stays on till I have to change the bulbs i guess ^_^...)
.... This is where I left it for the night. I have to work early in the morning and I should be asleep right now but I wanted to share, Ever So Much. :D
Posted Image
Hey, first time painting a car. sure I'll have to clean the garage floor a little but that's what they're made for right?
I really like this shot, its sexy. reminds me of a genuine photo shoot or something... That's it for now kiddies, it drys tonight, and I may touch up tomorrow during daylight in case i missed any spots.

BobCatRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Posted Image

koshir

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: CRX 86' and 91' :: JAZZ 08'
If you didn't weld that rear arch and just fill it with bondo I've got bad news for you that's gonna be in bubbles sooner that you think,
you must cut out all of that rust and weld new metal in and then protect that from inside and outside and even then you can get rust bubbles.

Otherwise nice project and good job done so far B)

BobCatRex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I wire brushed and sanded away as must rust as humanly possible, and covered the outside with paint, the under/inside with rubberized undercoating. And because I discovered a small leak in the back somewhere I redid my rear light fixture gaskets and found a spot where I had a little rust near the hatch. solved those problems but I'm still missing a small leak somewhere. not big, certainly enough for the drain in the back to handle well. Only thing I'm really waiting on to finish this project is the front nose panel that KSousa created. I really like that a lot. Also, finished my interior with a little sewing help, seat belt /seat/visor/E-brake/rear view mirror covers, bamboo pad in the back for stability in place of cardboard, back carpet, and a king size pillow for... well... why the hell not ? I can sorta sleep in this bad boy if my feet go between the seats. Detailed the interior and got some neat little plastic containers to hold stuff behind the seats, now I just have to put all my cassette tapes and etc. away but the halloweenies started showing up so that's for tomorrow. :D
So here's where we're at.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ricer84

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1986 honda civic si

wow those seats