• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

Scoore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Crx Gen1 ´86
Hi everyone.

Newly registered to the forum,and so far Im enjoying it big time,due to the fact theres Alot of info here about CRX and other similiar cars.

The question in mind is, Which brake calipers is bolt on (or require some minor mods) to fit my CRX gen1?

I have the 86 crx,but that shouldnt be more different than earlier makes.

I had a plan of putting CRV calipers on my car. they require 4-5mm grinding to fit with the original disc.

The thing is this, that I want more brake pads to choose from,as there is Very few racepads or trackpads that fit my brake calipers. But i want more options on pads,and thats why i wonder what calipers can be fitted on my original discs. If i can find discs cheap for the suggested caliper i might buy it. I will use 15" rims so everything that can be fitted in that is good enough for me smile.gif

Also i would like some tips on brakepads for my car.
Requirements for this is;

Long lifetime.
Good brakingpower.
It works allround (even when not on the track to heat them up)

I dont mind if they dust and/or squeel. The squeeling noise is more Race in my opinion wink.gif

If my spelling and grammar stink,i blame it on Sweden wink.gif (I know that I mix BIG I and small i for some reason. Too lazy i guess)

Thanks in advance!

/Johan

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
There are a lot of different options available, but the most readily available is the EF brakes, from an 88-91 Civic/CRX. They may be the same as later models too.

You need to swap the calipers, pads, and rotors, but the brake line will bolt up.

The rotor is a bit thicker and larger in diameter, and the pad surface is vastly larger than stock. Keep in mind aftermarket support for the EF and you can do just about as mild to wild as you want, drilled and slotted rotors and racing pads.

I've heard good things about the Hawk blues for pads but have yet to experience them.

IMO The EF front brake upgrade is a good budget upgrade choice, and a super easy swap.

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

Scoore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (Rampage @ Aug 13 2010, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are a lot of different options available, but the most readily available is the EF brakes, from an 88-91 Civic/CRX. They may be the same as later models too.

You need to swap the calipers, pads, and rotors, but the brake line will bolt up.

The rotor is a bit thicker and larger in diameter, and the pad surface is vastly larger than stock. Keep in mind aftermarket support for the EF and you can do just about as mild to wild as you want, drilled and slotted rotors and racing pads.

I've heard good things about the Hawk blues for pads but have yet to experience them.

IMO The EF front brake upgrade is a good budget upgrade choice, and a super easy swap.

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks for a fast reply!

Ive found a CRX VT ´91 and asked him for the front calipers. So i need the rotor Also for this?What rotors will fit these calipers? i assume that theres more options than Just the crx's discs to go for. smile.gif

the EF.. Is there any european model for that? I cant seem to find any CRX EF models. (it might be that im tired when writing this. Temporary brain malfunction)

EDIT: Im pretty snowed in by this EBC Yellowstuff if i can find it for some calipers thats easy to obtain.
Ive heard from a friend that races in Roadsport,that his greenstuff hasnt been the n1 choice by other drivers,and i got a reply from a swedish Honda forum that the greenstuff was not good for their 4hour race car. The redstuff they dont know,but ive read that many have problems with them.. funny thing is that many have greenstuff and they're satisfied enough with them. Im getting pretty confused by these answers.

The yellowstuff seems to be Awesome,and is pretty much what im looking for. Though i havent seen anyone driving with these and have given some feedback on them,so im clueless.

Edited by Scoore, 12 August 2010 - 06:18 PM.

Scoore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Found this on RPR forums. Is there any1 that can verify this information?

"The only calipers i know will bolt on are:
86-89 Integra
88-91 Civic/CRX DX/Si
92-95 Civic DX/LX"

If so,I will start looking for newer CRX or Civic parts as they are more common here in Sweden,than Integra that the calipers would fit right on.

I also ran through Ebay just now and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...s#ht_2147wt_939
http://cgi.ebay.com/...s#ht_1983wt_939
http://cgi.ebay.com/...s#ht_4908wt_939

Which of these would you get for the 1g CRX ? If they fit of course smile.gif

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '84 CRX Ballade Sports, '86 Civic Si, '93 Crx SiR Turbo, '79 Civic Turbo Racecar, '79 Civic, '78 Civic.
Is your car single cam or DOHC? With the JDM models, the hubs are different. For the DOHC motor CA Accord calipers are an excellent upgrade (they are a big two pot caliper) - run them with a 240mm disc from an Injected AV Integra and its a straight swap. I have also seen someone use EK SiR Civic brakes on a 1G Crx
After genuine old school JDM Parts ? Pm me :) We specialize in exporting quality, and rare parts for Old School Hondas.

Scoore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
QUOTE (civic_zr @ Aug 13 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is your car single cam or DOHC? With the JDM models, the hubs are different. For the DOHC motor CA Accord calipers are an excellent upgrade (they are a big two pot caliper) - run them with a 240mm disc from an Injected AV Integra and its a straight swap. I have also seen someone use EK SiR Civic brakes on a 1G Crx

the car is registered with the Zc1 motor but it now has the Ew3 motor in it.

I dont know if the hubs got switched when he changed the engine to another one. I dont think so thouh. Can get a pic if that would help us all.

I recently got a PM on some other forum. The guy has 2 fresh CRX Vt ´91 calipers for a reasonable price,and if they do fit,i think ill buy them.

I was first thinking of running the original discs in the front,but if i find some cheap rotors to swap for ill do it.

Scoore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
No more tips and tricks? unsure.gif tongue.gif

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
yes, do not get EBC pads. EBC=Expensive Brake Crap

get porterfield or hawk pads. i've also liked Axis Metalmasters for good street pads
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Scoore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Aah thanks haha. will remember that explanation of EBC a while smile.gif

I heard that Hawk HPS is NOT good at all.. They do fit my economy well though. what is your opinion on that? They just said they wore pretty quick,and the stopping power was good,but not as good as they thought it would be after upgrading from stock pads.

CSPCRX

QUOTE (Scoore @ Aug 15 2010, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aah thanks haha. will remember that explanation of EBC a while smile.gif

I heard that Hawk HPS is NOT good at all.. They do fit my economy well though. what is your opinion on that? They just said they wore pretty quick,and the stopping power was good,but not as good as they thought it would be after upgrading from stock pads.

you mentioned race.
EBC = crap I set mine on fire.

Hawk makes much better pads with many compounds to select from base on your needs.
I am switching to Hawk Blacks on the front. No more fire this way. Haha

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Lymitliss

• King Luke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si B18C1, 1973 240Z V8 Conversion
    Garage View Garage
Hawk Hawk Hawk HPS
Build Thread- Here

Scoore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Ouch.. Didnt know EBC was that bad ohmy.gif Ill trust you guys on this.

Ive found Hawk HPS for my car pretty cheap so im thinking about it. Not many places that ship to sweden with reasonable shipping costs.

the Hawk blacks.. Where can they be found for the CRX ´86 ? And how much better will they perform if i compare with HPS?

TexanIdiot25

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1969 CST10, 1987 CRX HF
Are the EFs vented rotors? And also, what size sockets for the caliper brackets, etc? I assume 10mm? And also will the MC need to be changed for the larger calipers?

Moving to hill country, realizing I'll need better brakes after blasting along some roads today smile.gif

Edited by TexanIdiot25, 18 August 2010 - 12:24 AM.

slavteren

• pervertet 17" lover!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 civic zc - 86 crx zc - 87 civic racecar
    • Image Gallery
at first, find out if the brakes has been changed too.. the as model got the same front brakes as the us integra. with hawk pads and prelude rear brake cylinders they sure can stop the car, believe me wink.gif
My beloved civic

My life

user posted image

the most important weapon- is the heart af the worrior.

Interceptor

• Check your rearview if I'm not behind !
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '84 Honda CRX - '72 Datsun S30Z - '89 Austin Mini
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Scoore @ Aug 13 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the EF.. Is there any european model for that? I cant seem to find any CRX EF models. (it might be that im tired when writing this. Temporary brain malfunction)

if you still wonder, in Europe i should be called the CRX ED9, at least in France it is, so it should also be named like that for you.
wink.gif

WTB Blue CRX interior parts & Dashboard