Aren D.

• Save the pepper, save the world.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI/2003 Frontier SC/2006 Jetta TDI/2014 Civic SI
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Few updates I want to add:
Chetta J shifter has been installed and so far has been awesome!!!

I also removed the sunroof, and installed a plexiglass panel similar to the kakabox however instead of using screws or rivets to hold it in I am using some 3m double sided outdoors/industrial tape with a bead of RTV around the edge: You can see it installed in the auto-X pics above, here is a better pic even though my car is really dirty from some rain.

J-MAN

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 Honda CRX SI
Aren, the car looks great and looks like its a blast to drive even with the stock EW lol, can't wait to see some crazy action pics with the beastly d16 thrown in there. I've experienced similar issues with 450lb rear springs coupled with a large rear swaybar, the car rotates nicely but once the back gets loose its very difficult to catch (coming from someone who has spun numerous times when first autoxing my car). After one high speed spin on the track last year without any roll protection I too will be stepping down to 375lb rear springs (a plus for daily driving as well). I'm curious as to how well the 3M tape/RTV seals up the sunroof with the plexiglass panel as I still haven't found a suitable replacement for my sealed up factory sunroof. Did you have this panel installed over the winter? If so did you notice any distortion or shrinkage from the plexiglass in the cold weather that was substantial enough to effect the seal? Jon
Son of E-MAN

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thanks!

Yeah the stock EW motor is a trooper, my car is pretty much the quietest car at any event I go to haha, I got the 375# springs installed and have an event tomorrow so I will see how I do I think it will work nicely. So far the tape as worked great I have been using the panel for about 2 weeks and no leaks or separation... thermal expansion, the plexiglass defiantly has that issue but the tape and RTV are also flexible so it has not broke the seal. However you can see in the pic that the black spray-paint came off the RTV on the seams; this is from expansion/contraction. The tape is the same tape that go-pro uses with its camera mount kits (but in a roll).

LGM Motorsports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Honda CRX, 1990 Honda CRX Si, 1991 Honda Civic Si, 1991 Honda Civic 4-door
QUOTE (J-MAN @ Apr 9 2011, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aren, the car looks great and looks like its a blast to drive even with the stock EW lol, can't wait to see some crazy action pics with the beastly d16 thrown in there. I've experienced similar issues with 450lb rear springs coupled with a large rear swaybar, the car rotates nicely but once the back gets loose its very difficult to catch (coming from someone who has spun numerous times when first autoxing my car). After one high speed spin on the track last year without any roll protection I too will be stepping down to 375lb rear springs (a plus for daily driving as well). I'm curious as to how well the 3M tape/RTV seals up the sunroof with the plexiglass panel as I still haven't found a suitable replacement for my sealed up factory sunroof. Did you have this panel installed over the winter? If so did you notice any distortion or shrinkage from the plexiglass in the cold weather that was substantial enough to effect the seal? Jon

Gentlemen,

I have vast autocross experience running these CRX's and have used 450 lbs in the rear with no problems.
First of all, I highly recommend using the "Swift" (progressive rate) coilover springs in the rear... these make a huge difference in handling over Eibach or any top brand coil springs!
Second, you to adjust the rear toe on the torque tube. Yu accomplish this by having a flat set of shims in various thicknesses. With trial & error, a shop that is open to using their alignment (of course with their technician) or another alignment method that will provide you fairly accurate readings and some patience it can be done quite readily.
To adjust the rear toe, you will need to pull of the wheels and brake drums. Next you will need to "loosen", not take off the driver's side drum backing plate using the proper size socket to reach the nuts that hold it to the torque tube that it is attached to. Then you will cut & trim the shim the that you intend to place between the drum backing plate and the mounting point of the torque tube. The shim should be placed at rear most section underneath the drum backing plate. On the passenger side, you do not need to remove the drum in order to shim this side of the torque tube. This can be done br simply loosen the nuts behind the mounting plate on the torque tube and sliding in the proper thickness shim in between the backing plate and the torque tube. Place this shim in the exact same position as the driver's side.
You are looking to set the rear toe at 1/8" to 1/4" of toe-in.... The amount of toe-in needed is dependent upon how much "snap oversteer" that you are trying to dial out. Once you have found that "proper balance" or "sweet spot", all this extra effort will have been well worth the trouble.
Please take note that even though you can also adust the rear camber as well (using the same procedure) don't mess with it! The factory rear camber (-.5 to -.6 degrees) is actually perfect under any racing conditions.
You can also help your rear oversteer problems simply by adjusting the rear tire pressures. In Aren's situation (he's A6 Hoosiers - I have quite a bit of experience with these) you can drop the rear tire pressures down as low as 22 to 24 lbs to help with rear traction. Aren if my eyes aren't deceiving me, it looks as if you are using a taller tire in the rear. If you are, take those off!!! You need to maintain the same ride height and diameter fron to rear. The "taller" tire in the rear will actually transfer more weight to the front (which is already to heavy for the 27.5 mm torsion bars to contend with) and will cause "more" understeer at the front-end.
Ideally a good autox setup for these 1st Gen CRX's is as follows:
Front: 2.5 to 2.0 neg camber / 1/8" toe-out (radials)
1.5 to 1.0 neg camber / 1/4" toe-out (bias ply)
*As much positive caster that can be dialed-in

Rear: 1/8" toe-out (depending on much oversteer you are trying to dial-out)
0" to 1/8" toe-in ( to try to dial-in oversteer) usually this is desied or needed with very sticky full racing slicks w/ a very "soft" compound - to help rotate the car.

Tire Pressures:
Front: 30 to 28 lbs (hot) with Hoosier A6's
26 to 24 lbs (hot) with cantilever road racing slicks

Rear: 24 to 22lbs (warm, you won't get these hot) A6's
*32 to 30lbs (if you trying to rotate the car) A6's
22 to 18lbs (warm) bias ply or cantilever racing slicks
*22 to 18lbs (warm) " " " " " harder compound

Good Luck at the autocrosses.

Luis

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Luis,
Thanks for sharing all that info! I am considering shimming my rear I just have not felt comfortable doing it yet. The tires are the same f/r its just the pics that make the rears look bigger.
Anyway I have copied/pasted your tire and caster settings and I will try some testing this weekend smile.gif thanks!
Here is what my rear alignment looks like right now:

LGM Motorsports

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1984 Honda CRX, 1990 Honda CRX Si, 1991 Honda Civic Si, 1991 Honda Civic 4-door
QUOTE (Aren D. @ Apr 9 2011, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luis,
Thanks for sharing all that info! I am considering shimming my rear I just have not felt comfortable doing it yet. The tires are the same f/r its just the pics that make the rears look bigger.
Anyway I have copied/pasted your tire and caster settings and I will try some testing this weekend smile.gif thanks!
Here is what my rear alignment looks like right now:

Aren,

Mugen use to make special shims designed especially for adjusting the rear toe settings. I purchased all the shims that they offered back in 1986. I'm not interested in selling any of them, but you can easily trim them out of flat shim stock. I have made some for myself.

If you have shortened "double-adjustable" Koni's for the front & rear of your CRX, please adjust the front struts at full max setting on the compression and much less on the rebound setting. On the rear - try three clicks on the compression setting and almost full max on the rebound setting.

These shock settings will make the car come alive.

Good Luck on your testing.

Luis

PS
I was running my CRX in CSP with 13" x 10" Panasport three-piece wheels wrapped with P255/40ZR-13 A6's and later on progressed to running 15" x 10" specially constructed Bogart racing wheels (made to my specifications) coupled with P275/35ZR-15 A6's. This is the ultimate setup for the CRXes and Civics and the larger diameter (20.5' versus 22.9") didn't hurt the gearing at all... it actually enhanced it by not having to make an extra shift to 3rd gear on some autocross courses. The lateral grip with this setup is is simply unbelieveable!!!
This is all accomplished with a stock EW motor with ITB's, controlled by an old Electromotive Tech II ECU, an original Mugen header (exiting thru a 2-1/4 pipe with a carbon-fiber "Sebring Tuning" racing muffler - its actually very quiet and deep sounding) and the ignition spark is further enhanced by an MSD Digital 4 Ignition box. Stock "Si" transaxle with a Mugen LSD.
Your current motor setup should be really making many "ponies" than my CSP engine and has to be more exciting to drive.

Old School REX

• ホンダ、夢の力
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: -------- 1986' CRX Si (X2) -------- 1993' GMC Sanoma SLE
    • Image Gallery
Amazing info here! Thanks for sharing for all of us! I have a track ready CRX that I'm trying to finish for the tale end of this season.

btw, Aren, how many miles have you got on your EW? Remember our race to 300K? laugh.gif I'm pushing up on my next oil change that will be at 250K. wink.gif

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

haha right now I have 236xxx miles on it so you are a bit ahead of me smile.gif

anyway I think I got my suspension dialed in much better smile.gif

front shocks -12 clicks (tein)
-2 camber front
3.5 degree front caster
32 PSI front tire
27 PSI rear tire
375# rear springs
rear shocks -4 clicks (tein)

above rear alignment^

Suff I want to change: remove the rear axle lock and install a kaka style rear stab bar, finish my d16a1 with the LSD.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=M60bDPY6mho

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
lol omg what is wrong with your shifter?
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kaymo @ Apr 10 2011, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol omg what is wrong with your shifter?

sarcasm?

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
it has some play... but I have yet to install the shifter bushing kit

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
chedda- the shifter itself is awesome, but the swaying back n forth is epic LOL
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
just awesome Aren. I am really missing my crx : (

Edit: Correction.... Incredible. Now looking for 85 crx or 86-87 hatchie

Glad to see your not as secretive as you used to be in the past leaving us all hanging with just teaser pics! tongue.gif

Edited by BigOrange, 28 April 2011 - 10:25 PM.

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
update!

I have been doing lots of auto crossing and my ew3 is leaking oil and smoking a bit, and I have a code for the crank sensor?

SO some good news I finally received my last bearing for the trans and put that together!

Stake that screw!

I ended up using a b16a1 dif bearing shim 1.10

finished up the trans! fifth gear installed and staked.

today I started the swap!

thanks for the good times EW3

motor pulled and I quit...

smile.gif

Aren D.

• PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Dual throttle cable mount:

and installed:

the holes in the fire wall I made hoping to get more fresh air to the carbs.

GRRRRRR!!!!! apparently the aasco flywheel will not work on my crank shaft! (a 1987 d16a1) its the right part number but I think the 88-89 crank have a slightly differnt bolt pattern mad.gif

I would have had my motor in the car this weekend but now I need to have a machine shop ream out the holes and press in bushings so the the bolts will line up!

but I did get the oil cooler lines on yay!