Swapping Tb On A Zc To D16a3

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

JMSBND

• HONDA MANIAC
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1972 Honda N360, Honda Coupe 9s, Honda 1977 Civic, Honda 1986 JDM CRX ZC, 2003 Honda S2000
Hey guys,

Just did the road trip and picked up an 87 Teg for the disc brake rear. A side note, my TPS on the DOHC ZC is playing up in the CRX and I noticed it runs a dual butterfly TB. Looks a little restrictive - could I swap on the D16A3 with the single larger TB butterfly instead off the Teg? If so you think it will be ok for power etc? Don't want to go backwards.

Interesting note too, this Teg was built in Oct 1986!!! Landed in Jan 87 so complianced an 87 model. But judging by the tags it's build number 25? VERY early car here in Australia. It's pretty tired, rust starting but for $181.00 off ebay good for the disc swap, spare engin/trans, ECU just good parts then off to scrap.

Has an F1 bodykit too but she is rough. Parked on a dairy farm and was home to a family of frogs inside it was like a sauna in there!

James.
My private collection:1972 Honda N360 Scamp; 1972 Honda Coupe 9s; 1973 Honda EB Civic Hatch; 1987 JDM ZC CRX; 2003 Honda S2000

1985 CRX SI

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX si
    Garage View Garage
I would think you would need to replace the whole intake manifold to get the throttle body to work properly.
Jeff

JMSBND

• HONDA MANIAC
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1972 Honda N360, Honda Coupe 9s, Honda 1977 Civic, Honda 1986 JDM CRX ZC, 2003 Honda S2000
QUOTE (1985 CRX SI @ May 9 2010, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would think you would need to replace the whole intake manifold to get the throttle body to work properly.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I have that too. I was just thinking it looked a little less restrictive compared to the twin butterfly ZC one.

My private collection:1972 Honda N360 Scamp; 1972 Honda Coupe 9s; 1973 Honda EB Civic Hatch; 1987 JDM ZC CRX; 2003 Honda S2000

civic_zr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '84 CRX Ballade Sports, '86 Civic Si, '93 Crx SiR Turbo, '79 Civic Turbo Racecar, '79 Civic, '78 Civic.
Interesting topic, I've been thinking about doing something similar.

Firstly are you sure its your TPS playing up at the moment? What symptoms are you getting?

As for the Tb, I haven't tried, but I would assume that the later model Tb would flow better with the later model inlet manifold. In my case I have some parts from a 4th Gen ZC from and EG5. But the stud pattern for the inlet bolts is different, so this mod would require a head swap too.

The dual butterfly Tb is designed for a balance between economy and performance AFAIK. My thinking is, that if you were to change it, you would be best to change the manifold too. And in doing this possibly the ECU too. If you were going to go to the trouble, would probably be best to go to the best manifold/tb you can. I'm not sure, but I think the parts from the 2G ZC (The one in your teg) are actual a step away from performance and more towards economy.

Some info about the different ZC generations http://www.d-series....parts-list.html
After genuine old school JDM Parts ? Pm me :) We specialize in exporting quality, and rare parts for Old School Hondas.