My Devac..

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

Soobiewrxsti

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: STI Honda doesn't drive yet
Well I have been reading and searching this website for awhile now. This is my first post so hello also What a GREAT FORUM! I have a 86 CRX (and the only one with an automatic) that was stock other then a strait pipe exhaust the previous owner installed with a HUGE fart can on the end. I have tried for over a month to get my CRX running right with no end in sight and this will be my daily car I needed something done soon. So, I read the Devac thread and studied all kinds other attempts to devac and took the leap. After about 15 mins of ripping crap off I had the bare minimum. I figured I would also take the intake off and clean oil off, replace coolant hoses, etc... Anyways I had bought a rebuilt carb off of Ebay (Not sure how well it was done too) to try and fix the car earlier but that did nothing. I tied the secondary barrel with thin stainless steel wire instead of plastic zipties, cut off the diaphragm, removed the idle diaphragm, installed a longer bolt in for the idle stop. I reinstalled the carb. with a new rubber carb. base mount, installed a new intake gasket, and new silicone hose for vacuum hoses. As far as the vacuum hoses goes I hooked up the hoses like everyone else. But, I also hooked up the Air Jet Controller which I don't know why anyone else doesn't? Since it bleeds air into the carb. and and everyone says their car runs rich. So I guess this is the moment of Truth I fired up the car and and it ran smooth and alittle high but it ran. Which is the most important thing for me right now. I would upload pics but i don't understand this forums pic upload.

Thanks ALL!
Greg
Hello

Soobiewrxsti

• Granny
  • Pip
Here is some of the pics I took while doing my mods. I hope this will help anyone out there who is thinking of devacing their car or might have some problems doing the devac.
Also MUCH thanks to DarkHand for the info on the carbs. biggrin.gif

Ok. Well here is the carb. from a few different views....

And here is the SS wire I used for the manual secondary instead of vacuum operated. This is me holding it at WOT.

Here is the vacuum setup. You can see that the only vacuum lines here are the Fuel vapor, vacuum port and the vacuum advance off to the side.

Here you can see the Air jet Controller set up just like factory. And, this is the final product.

Hello

dwend

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 93 Honda Prelude 4WS, 86 Honda CRX DX
    Garage View Garage
Looks great, Glad you got it working good.
I am going to use this right up when I do mine. I am going to attempt to do mine with the mani still in the car. I will see how that goes.
-86 CRX D16a1 swap
-93 Prelude Si 4WS
-09 Top Kart Shifter

Soobiewrxsti

• Granny
  • Pip
Cool. I was going to to do the same but I figured it should be time for a new intake and carb. base gaskets. Also my intake used to be black from all the oil and dirt. Now it looks new again. Yay biggrin.gif
If any of you need more info please respond or write me. wink.gif
Hello

dwend

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Well I just finished, I have yet to drive it but I did have it running. I did not include the mechanical secondary but I left it vaced. But following your pictures and also looking at some of the others, I had it running perfectly on the second try. I forgot the plug on the white thing on the right, It was shuttering and kinda rough, so I looked at the pics one more time. And I noticed I forgot a cap. The It dose run a bit richer, I can smell some gas at the tail pipe, but this was expected.

Thanks

Edited by dwend, 16 April 2009 - 09:06 PM.

-86 CRX D16a1 swap
-93 Prelude Si 4WS
-09 Top Kart Shifter

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
you should do the mechanical secondary. its a simple mod, works perfectly. your vacuum secondaries may not work properly because of the devac, so its highly recommended

QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

dwend

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
I will have to look at it tomorrow, I think a few of my vacuum lines I added are a bit too big for the nipples, I also reused some of the old hose but for the air jet lines I had to get longer ones. What size are the vacuum lines? I am just glad I dont have a birds nest of vacuum lines under my hood now.
-86 CRX D16a1 swap
-93 Prelude Si 4WS
-09 Top Kart Shifter

harm

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
Looking at doing the devac after it warms up a little more (and dries up a little more, the garage I'm planning on using is still diked in, damn flood) - planning on using silicone lines as well. What sizes did you end up using?

also wondering what people think about the air jet controller - any reason not to hook it up?

dwend

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Were can I find a constant vacuum for the AC rev up?
Every port I have hooked it to so far has no Vac, but when I suck on the end of the line the idle raises as normal.
-86 CRX D16a1 swap
-93 Prelude Si 4WS
-09 Top Kart Shifter

Soobiewrxsti

• Granny
  • Pip
OK, I think the size I used was 3 mm hose. I bought it a long time ago from NOPI online and had a few feet left over.

I would seriously think about doing the manual secondaries because the vacuum can hold it open when your not on the gas. Also it works perfectly when opening on mechanical.

I dont know about a constant vacuum need to look into that when I have some time. I would think maybe the two lower ports on the back should.
Hello

DarkHand

Awesome! I was thinking about reconnecting the Air jet controller in my devac thread but I haven't gotten around to it yet (I had two but I think I threw them away when I started out a few years ago ohmy.gif). Glad to know it's working out!

QUOTE (dwend @ Apr 17 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Were can I find a constant vacuum for the AC rev up?
Every port I have hooked it to so far has no Vac, but when I suck on the end of the line the idle raises as normal.

For the AC idle boost, connect the solenoid to one of the ports on the intake manifold itself. That'll give you the opposite effect of the carb's vaccum which is what you want for that situation. You'll get high vacuum when you're idling (to raise the idle speed and keep from stalling out), and less at higher rpms when you don't need it.
DarkHand

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
AC is for pussies. do like i do... roll your windows down and rip your sunroof off biggrin.gif

QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

harm

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
Thanks for the tip on hose size - I hooked my DarkHand modified carb up with the Soobie air jet controller configuration. Works great. Silicone hoses and new air filter should be in next week sometime. Runs like a champ so far though!

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
So, wtf is the air jet stuff/why would you use it????

"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

DarkHand

QUOTE (CRXfanatic @ Oct 5 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, wtf is the air jet stuff/why would you use it????

The air jet controller introduces varying amounts of air into the fuel mix, keeping it from getting too rich or lean at different altitudes. A regular devac just caps the air jet ports off completely, which is probably one of the major reasons that devacced carbs run so rich. Adding the air jet controller back into the setup should help alleviate that.
DarkHand