• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
I posted elsewhere here that I had just found a good deal on a pretty clean 84 1500S. I had posed the question asking what I should do with the car. I'm seriously considering prepping it for H Stock autocrossing and running with that. No, it's not the "gotta have it" car for the class, but it does have a huge weight advantage over most other cars in the class. A friend of mine, Russ Blume, scored a 2nd place finish at Nationals back in 2000(?) with a similar car, even though he was subject to multiple protests and eventually found to be just a bit out of factory timing limits (to the retarded side, even!), which cost him a trophy. Russ is a hell of a lot better driver than I am, but I think the point was made that the car could be competitive in the right hands.

The question I'm proposing here is this: What stock-class mods would you do if you were in my place? Here's what I'm planning:

-Slightly smaller steering wheel (has to be within one inch of stock)
-Racing harness
-Honda OEM 13" aluminum wheels (probably Civic VX)
-R-compounds (215/50, 225/50, 225/45, 185/60?)
-Koni shocks front and rear (which I already have)
-Upgraded brake linings and braided brake lines
-Remove front sway bar
-Quality plugs and wires
-Good air filter
-Cat-back consisting of tube muffler and 90* bend with side exit

Questions:

-Was the 1500S available without a radio so that I can remove it and install a radio delete plate? I know I've seen some national-level CRX Si competitors do that, but I didn't know if the 1500S could also.

-Any thoughts on tire size changes? I have seen a CRX Si with Hoosier 225/50 front tires and 185/60 rear tires on stock wheels, and the previously mentioned 1500S in 2000 had 215/50 BFG R1 front tires with 185/60 rears. I don't think the 225/45 has enough sidewall to fit on a stock wheel. The only stock 1500S I've seen competing lately was using 185/60 on all 4 corners. Screw that. I want more grip up front, and the shorter the diameter, the better.

-I was thinking 2" on the exhaust pipe. Any input?

Did I leave anything out? Is there something I should change?

I welcome any discussion this might begin, and I look forward to doing this project. I have not autocrossed a true stock-class vehicle since 1999, so I'm anxious to get started.
No power . . . no weight

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
Sounds like a fun project.

All Hondas had dealer installed radios in 84, so a delete plate is ok.

Your setup plan seems pretty solid. I don't think you are going to want to delete the front bar - try testing it both ways. The other things I would look at are all of the rubber parts - suspension bushings, motor mounts, etc. These may need to be replaced by now. I think I would run the widest tire you can get on to the 5" rims. You might experiment with a narrower tire or different brands on the rear for balance, or just use tire pressures to get there.

You should probably dyno the motor to see what condition it is in. The stock carb motor in good running condition should be making a solid 55-60hp at the wheels. The guys at Rivergate Racing have a lot of experience with tuning the carb motors for IT racing - they may be a good source for advice or a carb rebuild if needed.

-Chris

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (squareback @ Aug 18 2007, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I leave anything out? Is there something I should change?

Passenger mirror delete. AC delete (the whole unit not just the compressor), clock delete, Single bench non-folding rear (althought I think this was THE stock option), Solid (non-vinyl wrapped) door cards, and wiperless hatch.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Mark L

QUOTE (squareback @ Aug 18 2007, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Upgraded brake linings and braided brake lines

I do not think braided lines are legal in H stock.
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
cars made 92 and before are allowed to run braided lines in all stock classes..

sounds pretty good to me man. i'm currently "campaigning" a 94 miata in stock class. it's so much more fun than all the modified classes.. it's wierd how that works out!!
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

preparedcivic

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX ITB, 86 Civic Si Solo EP, 09 C6 Z51, 05 Acura TSX, 04 GMC Sierra 2500HD
I ran 3rd gen '86 Civic Si's from 1990 to 1994 in stock. You are on the right track, but I have a couple of suggestions:

- The VX wheels are 5mm further offset in, 45mm compared to the stock 40mm, either run 5mm spacers, or find a set of 85 CRX Si wheels, which are nearly as light.

- I always ran a front bar, but had the endlinks backed way off which allowed about 3/8" of play in the bar. Seemed to help turn in a great deal.

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
Excellent feedback, all. I appreciate little tidbits here and there.

badpenny, are you saying the passenger mirror and rear wiper were optional? My sources would disagree with that. And the car came without AC, so there's none of that there.

As far as rubber pieces go, I may be okay. I'll have to take a good look at them, but the car only has 79,000 miles on it and was garaged most of its life. I had given some thought to the front sway bar issue and am still undecided. I will definitely try it both ways and go from there. I hadn't thought about backing off the endlinks, but I do like that idea.

After I do some clean up on the car over the next couple of weeks, I'll post some findings and updates.

Thanks again, and keep it coming.

Mike
No power . . . no weight

preparedcivic

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX ITB, 86 Civic Si Solo EP, 09 C6 Z51, 05 Acura TSX, 04 GMC Sierra 2500HD
QUOTE (squareback @ Aug 19 2007, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excellent feedback, all. I appreciate little tidbits here and there.

badpenny, are you saying the passenger mirror and rear wiper were optional? My sources would disagree with that. And the car came without AC, so there's none of that there.

As far as rubber pieces go, I may be okay. I'll have to take a good look at them, but the car only has 79,000 miles on it and was garaged most of its life. I had given some thought to the front sway bar issue and am still undecided. I will definitely try it both ways and go from there. I hadn't thought about backing off the endlinks, but I do like that idea.

After I do some clean up on the car over the next couple of weeks, I'll post some findings and updates.

Thanks again, and keep it coming.

Mike

The 1500S definitely had a rear wiper and right side mirror. IIRC, the 1300 had neither, and the DX had the wiper only.

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit
QUOTE (preparedcivic @ Aug 20 2007, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 1500S definitely had a rear wiper and right side mirror. IIRC, the 1300 had neither, and the DX had the wiper only.

I agree. You have to keep the RH mirror and rear wiper. Same for the clock.

I don't think you can even swap the rear split seat for the lighter one-piece rear seat back.

Keith

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I apologize guys, I was going from my bill of sale from my 87 dx. The passenger mirror, and the rear wiper were optional for the 1.5 I realize now that you were asking about the S model.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

EPcivic

• 2008 & 2009 EP National Champion
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
I think technically you could update/backdate to DX trim from the S trim since there was no mechanical difference between the two models. All that would get you is the passenger mirror delete and possibly the lighter rear seat. Does the S have the fancy sliding rear seat like the Si did? If so, that thing truely is a boat anchor - significantly heavier than the DX fixed position seat.I really don't think I would bother with trying to shave 10 lbs off the car - it just isn't that critical. If anything, go and buy some super light spun aluminum 13x5 wheels that weigh 7lbs each. That would be the best place to focus on weight savings anyway.

If I remember correctly, the S model had a tach, clock, pass mirror, rear wiper, different interior trim and a stripe. You could always PM Mike F. (fhrcng). He bought his 85 S new and it only has 42k on it now. I'm sure he still has the window sticker and all the paperwork from it.

-Chris

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
i believe it also had a different engine/trans. (basically the Si with carbs)

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (E-AT_me @ Aug 21 2007, 07:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i believe it also had a different engine/trans. (basically the Si with carbs)

Nope, it was the same as the 1.5 DX drivetrain...
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
really? wow. that stinks-poo.

CRXfanatic

• Dual Mikunis Rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX DX, 2001 Subaru 2.5RS, 2004 Accord EX, 1983 Honda VT500FT
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Indeed it does stink.
"If Honda does not race there is no Honda." -Soichiro Honda

Posted Image