Adjustable Cam Gears

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

dcostello

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 85 Honda CRX Si FSP/84 Honda Civic 1500 S/86 Honda Civic Si
I have put a few feelers out here “to buy” an adjustable cam gear with no response. So a couple of questions for the all knowing around here. Is there anybody still making these for the 84-87 Si’s? If so, who? AEM says they do not have any. Unorthodox says they do not have any. Who here has the “connection for the stuff man”?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

I just came across this one on ebay but it seems less expensive and it is made out of AL7075 -T6 billet aluminum which I have never seen before (only 6061-T6 billet aluminum). Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Dan, the man with the plan who has the golden an. I should take the golden an to the tan van where I will meet Stan. Yes that is the plan!

Edited by dcostello, 30 January 2007 - 05:27 PM.

Dan Costello
51 FSP
Nebraska
85 CRX Si/ 84 1500 S Fuel Injected
86 Civic Si

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
I run a five bolt AEM model for 84-87 CRX, which happens to be the same part number, 23-803, as some mid-90s 4 banger Accords, the 4 banger Odyssy van, and the D16a1 Integras. I've had no problems with it. There seems to be word out there that the AEM gear is off a tooth in terms of timing. That may be why AEM is shying away from saying that the gear is good for 84-87 CRX now, but not totally sure on that. I haven't chowed any valves to date.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
3 Bolts - NO, NO, NO!

5 Bolts - Yes

Bad things happen when the bolts slip and the cam gear rotates.

New valves anyone?
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

89teg_mike

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 89 Integra LS
QUOTE (Omega Mugen @ Jan 30 2007, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I run a five bolt AEM model for 84-87 CRX, which happens to be the same part number, 23-803, as some mid-90s 4 banger Accords, the 4 banger Odyssy van, and the D16a1 Integras. I've had no problems with it. There seems to be word out there that the AEM gear is off a tooth in terms of timing. That may be why AEM is shying away from saying that the gear is good for 84-87 CRX now, but not totally sure on that. I haven't chowed any valves to date.

So the D16A1 can use the cam gears of the above cars (90s accords, odessys etc)??

I have a g1 teg and would be intrested in getting these gears (if I find a local pair for the right price)...

thanks
mike

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (89teg_mike @ Jan 30 2007, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the D16A1 can use the cam gears of the above cars (90s accords, odessys etc)??

I have a g1 teg and would be intrested in getting these gears (if I find a local pair for the right price)...

thanks
mike

The 23-803. Yep, the same as I use on the EW.

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
Oh yeah and the timing belt hangs over the edge a couple of millimeters. It doesn't seem to make a crap of difference. Maybe a washer will cure this.

dcostello

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Well, I found the accord one on ebay for $117.00 and free shipping. Anyone know of another place or cam gear that may be as good but less expensive?

Thank you again for all the reply's, keep them comming!

Edited by dcostello, 31 January 2007 - 11:35 AM.

Dan Costello
51 FSP
Nebraska
86 Civic Si

88g1TegSE

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 88G1tegSE W/89CivicZC swap
Try JG Engine Dynamics. You'll want to call them. Their sight isn't always up to date or specific on details. One page indicates they don't sell them and another says they do sell D series adjustable cam gears for $80 each. I know they make them specific for the ZC but not positive about D16a1. I've heard their B16 cam gears will work on a D16a1. I'd call to see for sure.

http://jgenginedynam...m/Camgears.html

87MugenProCR-X

• Just Drive...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Honda CRX, 94 Honda Civic 4dr, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wgn, 91 Mazda Miata
From my experience B series cam gears will not work on a D16a1 they will work on a ZC.

Julian

lxndr

• All work and no play makes LXNDR a dull boy. All work and no...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
OK, here are the facts...

Prelude F22 and Accord F22/F23 gears will work on any '84-'87 Civic/CRX EW/D15, and any '86-'89 Integra D16A1/ZC.

The F22 gear is a 40 tooth gear. The AEM part number is 23-803 for the EW/D15, D16A1 and F22/F23. The AEM D16A1 and EW/D15 cam gear is really an F22 gear and will need to be re-marked when used on a D16A1/ZC. There at least 4 manufacturers producing F22 cam gears, you will need 2 gears for a D16A1/ZC.

When using ZC cams with any aftermarket cam gears, use the dowel pins to align the cams at TDC then mark the gears with a dot of paint. The timing belt will hang off the end of the F22 gears by about 1/16". The 1/16" overhang will not be an issue and will not rub since the crankshaft gear keeps the timing belt aligned. Always lay your old gear over the top of the new gear to double check the timing marks, diameter and tooth count!

F22 gears will not work on any 88+ CRX DOHC ZC (what most people are referring to when they say "ZC") since these motors use a 34 tooth cam gear and 17 tooth crankshaft gear like the B-series motors. The JG Engine Dynamics "ZC" and D-series cam gears are 32 tooth gears and only fit the 88+ Honda motors, but Skunk2 and Megan Racing offer a similar 6 bolt design for the F22.

Edited by lxndr, 01 February 2007 - 03:38 AM.

crxbruddah

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx straman convertible, 93 integra
Great info! I'll be saving this! Thx lxndr!

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Now, before you get all excited about your new cam gear.... what do you expect it to do for you and your engine? No, it won't do that.

On DOHC engine, dicking with cam timing can give you a bit more perfromance by changing over lap between intake and exhaust valves. On a SOHC engine like the EWs, all you can do is change the point of peak hp/torque up or down the rpm range. There is no relative gain to be had.

The only real reason to have an adjustable cam gear on the EW is to compensate from changes in head height that comes from shaving the head. In other words, save your money for a head job (power is made in the head) and get the adjustable cam gear then.

Scott

BTW- I have the three bolt AEM cam gear and have had no problems for 7+ years.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

crxbruddah

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 crx straman convertible, 93 integra
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 1 2007, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only real reason to have an adjustable cam gear on the EW is to compensate from changes in head height that comes from shaving the head. In other words, save your money for a head job (power is made in the head) and get the adjustable cam gear then.

Scott

BTW- I have the three bolt AEM cam gear and have had no problems for 7+ years.

Thats exactly what I'd need it for...I know a few others that use the 3 bolt AEMs also...and they haven't had problems either.

Les

I'ma in the Carburetion Nation

dcostello

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thank you for all of the input, lxndr… that was the best information so far. Just to let everyone know I am basically trying to take a CSP CRX engine to the limit by decking the block and head which is the main reason for this part and question. Also with the little lightness I hope to gain that 1 hp because I need all the help I can get against the Miatta’s.

Thank you all again,

Edited by dcostello, 02 February 2007 - 01:36 PM.

Dan Costello
51 FSP
Nebraska
86 Civic Si