Insight Brakes

• You cannot reply to this topic
10 replies to this topic

Fennec

• I-5 traffic dodger
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84 Civic 4dr (hibernating), 83 Civic Type S (daily masher)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Here's the old post: Insight rotors I got the idea from that post last year.

I'm gonna swap over from Civic brakes to Insight brakes. If you don't know already, the Insight brakes are made from aluminum alloy. The entire assembly (bracket, pads, bolts, caliper) weigh only 5.5 lbs. I haven't had a chance to weigh the stock stuff yet. I don't know if anybody has tried this already....

I got a set of '00 Insight calipers off ebay. Just looking at them next to the stock Civic calipers I can tell they must fit. Bracket bolt spacing is the same. Also, the rotor's (according to Napa's catalog) are the same part #'s and dimensions. I will get pics up when I get my camera back.

The piston diameter looks similar, but the pad that the insight takes are a little longer. So that means NO performance pads available yet for these brakes, that I can find.

Some interesting facts about the Insight that I learned:
-MT cars have different brakes (weaker) than the CVT parts (prolly due to more stopping power necessary for CVT)
-the body is all aluminum unit body HAND WELDED, just like the NSX
-suspension arms, knuckles and brakes (f/r) are aluminum
-there is a physical on/off switch like a house switch for the IMA (integrated motor assist, this is the hybrid system)
-engine is a 3cyl and has a timing CHAIN not belt
-the IMA is sandwiched between the tranny and engine, super thin
-exhaust mani is CAST into the cylinder head, not separate from the engine, so basically one hole from the engine for exhaust
-intake mani is made from plastic
-oil pan made from mag, also the valve cover (or maybe plastic not sure)
-tranny is set on the driver's side (unless the pics are mirror image)
-steering is electric, not hydraulic (hmm NSX again...)
-curb weight is 1900 to 2000 lbs

These things are engineering marvels, I don't know why everybody knocks them! mad.gif I would cop one if I could find one for 4k...
HONDA: What else is there?
user posted image

user posted image

Buy/Sell with Confidence (vouches)

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Keep us posted, dude. I've always liked the Insight and played with the idea of buying one, but couldn't reason getting another 2seater car.

1stGENcrxLOVER

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: white 2004 civic ex 2dr. black 2008 odyssey touring. blue 2007 ford f150 xl
'' exhaust mani is CAST into the cylinder head, not separate from the engine, so basically one hole from the engine for exhaust ''

the 06 civics 1.8l is the same way

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
too bad those would be illegal for SCCA soloII SP.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Fennec @ Sep 22 2006, 05:31 PM)
So that means NO performance pads available yet for these brakes, that I can find.

Check with Porterfield. They may not list anything for the Insight, but they will make up a set of pads for you. You pay a bit extra for quality perfromance pads like Porterfiled, but you get what you pay for.

But you have to have a need for performance pads. Unless you drive like an @sshole on the street, OEM style pads are fine. But if you race... then the extra expense is justified.

BTW- the Insight seems to be the body of choice for Import Drag Racing, a lot of teams are using the shell. And the shape is definately CRX inspired so I consider the Insight to be a 4th Gen CRX.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Sep 23 2006, 09:06 AM)
BTW- the Insight seems to be the body of choice for Import Drag Racing, a lot of teams are using the shell. And the shape is definately CRX inspired so I consider the Insight to be a 4th Gen CRX.

Scott

Wouldn't it just be the 4th gen CRX hf? Strictly being an economy car?
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Screech

• Project CI2-VIC Team Lead
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 16 Ford RS, 84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2), 98 Civic EX
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
It could the the 5th, Del Sol is already the 4th.

Screech
------------------------

16 Ford RS (2.3l, DS)
84 Civic 2000S (B20Z2 2.0l, SMF)

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Screech @ Sep 23 2006, 11:29 AM)
It could the the 5th, Del Sol is already the 4th.

BLASPHEMER!!!

tongue.gif

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Yeah, I tend to forget about the del Sol.

What we forget is that the orginal CRX was designed to maximize fuel economy using the technology available at the time and was never intended as a performance car. That slot in the Honda product line was the Prelude or Quint (Integra). But slip the Quint engine (D16) or the Civic engine (EW4/5) into that slippery little Civic spin-off and you get the 1st Gen CRX we all love.

Scott

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

Fennec

• I-5 traffic dodger
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 84 Civic 4dr (hibernating), 83 Civic Type S (daily masher)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ok I got everything to bolt in last night. The brakes fit perfectly with no clearance issues. I wish I could get some pics up for ya guys, well looks like I won't get to my camera until wednesday.

Some things I noticed are that the Insight calipers share the same diameter piston as the 86 integra calipers I have in my garage. So I was wrong about their piston size, it is a little bigger than Civic's. So that means pedal travel will increase a little, along with clamping force? I'm not a physicist though, so maybe someone will correct me on this...

I think I know the difference now exactly between the MT insight brakes and the CVT ones. CVT ones share the same caliper but different bracket. In fact, the CVT should take the same shape pad as the civic's, according to hawk's pad catalog.

I just might be buying a loaded caliper for the CVT at the parts store and trading in these brakes. The brackets (still made of cast iron) on these are rusted to shit anyway(on a 6 year old car can you believe?). Then I could always upgrade the pad later on in the future if i decide to.
HONDA: What else is there?
user posted image

user posted image

Buy/Sell with Confidence (vouches)

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Very cool! I want to do Insight rears on my car.

According to a friend, you can get Hawk HPS and Porterfield R4S for the Insight calipers. The pads are different for CVT and manual, apparently.

Tom
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"