Digital Dash Wiring For Usdm Cars

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 85 crx si
ok, heres the simple way to wire in a jdm digi dash into a us car.

if you buy one, or have already found one, make sure you get the plastic surround piece with it, because the normal one does not fit it. you may be able to mod the stock one to work, but i cannot verify this.

1 first remove the dashboard lower panel (two or three screws and a clip)

2 remove the heater control knob and lower panel, remove the heater control mount screws.

3 remove the upper screws

4 pull the instrument panel out, then disconnect the wire connectors.

5 remove the instrument panel

6 remove the four screws, then lift the guage assembly so you can reach the wire connectors

7disconnect the speedometer cable and wire connectors, then remove the guage assembly.

once you have pulled your cluster out, there will be three plug-ins , one small, auxillary connector , and the two larger connectors that are used on the stock unit.

you will be tapping into wires from all three connectors.

first, remove the black/yellow stripe wire from the large connector, you can get the pin out by using a paperclip, or similar small item. now install that wire into the six pin connector, into the only empty spot.

now , you need to find a connector for the lcd interface plug, it has a total of ten pins in a row, and any standard pin-type connectors will work, just use enough of them to cover all pins. i was lucky, as the previous owner of mine cut all three plugs with wires from the original car.

once you have some type of improvised ten pin connector, now the splicing begins.
all of the wires for the ten-pin come directly off of the three original plugs , just splice them in. i cut the wires, and used butt connectors. (please dont use those cheezy blue "squeeze taps" , because theres just not enough room for them) .

your wiring for the ten - pin connector is as follows, from top to bottom:

pin 1 :not used
2: red / black stripe
3: solid yellow
4: solid black
5: not used
6: solid yellow, same as 4
7: black / yellow stripe
8: yellow / black stripe
9: green/ pink stripe
10: green / blue stripe

note: my car is an 85 si, there are some wiring differences between the 84-85 cars, and the 86-87 cars. i do not know if this applies to the dash wiring or not. if the color codes are different for the 86-87 models, contact me and i will work up an itemized function list for the wires, instead of a color codes list.

as far as the physical installation is concerned, it bolts in just like your original, however, the speedo cable mounts to the opposite side (jdm) , so when you get ready to mount the cluster , you MUST disconnect your speedo cable from the transmission, pull it mostly through the firewall, run it over the steering column, and through the left dash wiring hole, instead of the right. then plug in the cable BEFORE you mount the cluster. once you get it mounted you can put it back into the trans.
it is a stretch, but it will work (you have to tug on it some)
the reason you must do it this way, is because once the cluster is in , there is no way to reach the back to mount the cable .

now your dash surround piece heater switch , and accesories switches are on opposite sides of where they go on a udsm car. easy fix, the mounting panels actually just mount onto the back of the surround with a few srews. romove them, and swap them places.

put it all back together and enjoy! you will have the second digital dash in a usdm car that works! wink.gif

btw: i rock!

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

My project needs your help
Parts wanted

nivek2002

I copied this into the FAQ with you as author, body and cosmetic (best place I though)

Kevin

d15a3power

Thanks EvilGearhead!

Now all we need is someone in Au or Nz to scour jyards for one massive group buy!
May thru November only.
Rust never sleeps.

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
after doing some research, i have found that even JDM cars do not have the proper wiring plugins for this cluster. looking into it some more, i have discovered that this dash wasnt even a factory option for our cars, it came standard equipment in jdm crx 1.6I cars only, which makes it even more rare than previously thought.

does anyone know the production total for 1.6I's? just wondering how many were even made...

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

Parts wanted

baxter

• Slowpoke with attitude
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 JDM CRX-Pro, '84 JDM CRX DOHC, & '84 JDM 1.5i
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (evilGearhead @ Nov 28 2004, 09:19 PM)
...it came standard equipment in jdm crx 1.6I cars only, which makes it even more rare than previously thought.

Er, no.

It was an option on the 1.5i (ie the EW engined car) as well. I have one with a factory digital dash and trip computer.

But yes they are getting very rare nowdays. Only a couple of years ago I used to see them a reasonable number of them, but not these days... sad.gif

EDIT: "1.6I"? I don't think there is such a model.
There was the '1.5i' - the EW engined 12-valve SOHC 1500; and the 'Si', the ZC DOHC 1600 engined car.
Perhaps 1.5i what you ment afterall?

Edited by baxter, 29 November 2004 - 04:45 AM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
Added to the FAQ file!

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
found out something else that might help today,
you dont need to rig up a ten-pin connector , inside the electronic heater control, there is the EXACT connector that you need.

so just get a spare heater control from your local salvage for ten bucks or less, and youre set.

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

Parts wanted

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
yes there is a 1.6i its the dohc jdm and edm cars.

5150CRX

• some people tell me that I need help......
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx,94 teg,75 bmw 2002, 91 crx si(sorta)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
good info and about time sum1 filled us in smile.gif
Aidan
5150 Autosports
15110 E. Nelson #C
Industry, Ca 91744
(626) 806-5150

www.socalracer.com

IfTakumiDroveACRX

• Can't stop the greatness in motion....just you wait...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 85 crx Si two-tone black/grey, 72 Datsun 510 with an experimental rotary swap (the engine is a 12a and 13b hybrid), Infiniti G35 sedan on air suspension rolling on 19" G-Corp's Estatus wheels and various Garson/D.A.D accessories
    • Image Gallery
I really need one of these man !!!!! damn it if eBay doesn't have one ! hahahahahahaha
user posted image
www.implicit-autosports.com - Proud Distributors of Monkeyz-Tek Performance Parts

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
I noticed some inconsistancies....

you have:
pin 1 :not used
2: red / black stripe
3: solid yellow
4: solid black
5: not used
6: solid yellow, same as 4
7: black / yellow stripe
8: yellow / black stripe
9: green/ pink stripe
10: green / blue stripe

Mine is:
1- yel/red
2- red/blk
3- yel
4- blk
5- yel/blu
6- yel
7- blk/yel
8- yel/blk
9- grn/blu
10- grn/red

Now, are your colors the colors on the brown 10-pin harness, or the colors where the wires from the harness are supposed to tap into?

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
Ok, on my 87:

brown 10 pin connector:
I matched all the wired up to wires of the same color on the other 2 harnesses. I have a yel/blk and a yel/blu left over not hooked to anything. Not sure where they go, but the cluster works!

On the smaller connector:
Moved the black over one spot and spliced it to a blk/yel wire

On the large connector:
I didn't change anything. Now, one light is on all the time. I duuno what it is. the symbol is a circle with a line on either side. Also, the oil light flickers on and off. All I can assume is a loose connection, but I know my car is tight. Might be a mis-wire....

Fitting the stock cluster hood....
Um, it does not fit. There it interfearance at the lower edge and it won't line up properly at the top. sad.gif I rigged it in there, but there is a 3/4 inch gap at the top. With some trimming it will probably fit, but I am going to try to get the hood from the guy I got the cluster from first...

Edited by MrDisibility, 08 December 2004 - 02:24 PM.

evilGearhead

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
did you pull the black / yellow wire from the large connector and stick it into the extra spot in the small one ?

the round symbol is the brake light (looks kind of like a drum and two shoes)

My how-to's
JDM digital dash
JDM power windows

Parts wanted

gen1teg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 82 DeLorean DMC-12, 83 DeLorean DMC-12, 87 CRX ZC, 88 Prelude 4WS, 89 Integra ZC, 2013 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
Finally got mine working flawlessly in my '87 Si. I moved the blk/yel over to the smaller connector. but for the 10 pin I found some differences:

1 yel/red (do not connect this to your dash harness, it is in fact a vss(!) signal, perfect for my blacktop swap! If you connect it to your yel/red, your oil light will fash your vss signal, and the speedo will work intermitently)

2 red/blk (illumination signal)
3 yel
4 blk
5 yel/blu (do not connect)
6 yel
7 blk/yel
8 blk/yel (do not connect)
9 grn/blu (do not connect or your trunk open light won't work)
10 grn/red (do not connect or your parking brake light will stay on)

Hope this helps someone.

Justin

Edited by gen1teg, 09 July 2005 - 05:11 PM.

82 DeLorean DMC-12

83 DeLorean DMC-12

87 CRX w/89 Blacktop ZC Conversion
88 Prelude 2.0 4WS
89 Integra LS ZC

13 Mercedes-Benz C300 4MATIC

terrafox

Is anyone able to get the digi dash?

R.
If you need EDM stuff - Just ask due to popular demand I will also state that I am willing to look for EDM parts nomatter what car its for, example: Vw/Mazda/BMW

EDM SALES TREAD HERE

I need race/performance parts if you have any PM me