• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
I have finally gotten around to taking some better pictures of my homemade CAI. It is made from a 6" and a 3 3/4" lengths of black PVC plumbing pipe (commonly used for waste lines) a pair of 45 degree elbow joints, a K&N filter that will fit over the 3 1/2" outside diameter of the plastic pipe, some PVC glue and some tie wraps.

I started by removing the all of the stock intake *except* that last bit that goes into the throttlebody. You can see in this picutre that I have also moved my battery (not neccesary) to the passenger's compartment of the car. At the bottom of the picture you can see that I have removed the dust shield so that I draw cold air directly from under the air dam. THIS CAR IN NEVER DRIVEN IN WET WEATHER!!! Hell, I do not drive this car when it is damp outside.

Here is the CAI in two basic components

Assembled

And in the car

OK, so it in not Car Show Pimping Tight.
But it works.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

racelife

• need more speed!
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 86rex(bad comp), 90rex(blown head), 90teg(no engine), 90accord(wifes), 98civic 4dr.ex(dd) and a heap of broken 1st and 3rd gens.
as long as it works thats all that matters. function over form!

mesean13

• Ohne Scheiss.Somewhere in Germany.
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87'civicsi (ZC1)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Hey, one good thing is that i'm sure it keeps the air colder than metal piping would! smile.gif
Think before you speak, learn before you think, listen so that you may learn to think before speaking a bunch of shit!

No fried rice please!

B@T "El Argentino"

Thanks Scott.
I have some questions, how is it hooked up to the rubber hose? Does it just go over it? Does it stay in place without falling?

It looks easy to do and I dont see the point of replacing the stock rubber hose for a plastic one like other people do.
B@T 46 "THE DOCTOR"
[email protected]
user posted image
My "VOUCH" tread http://www.redpepper...44

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (B@T "El Argentino" @ Feb 23 2006, 03:20 PM)
Thanks Scott.
I have some questions, how is it hooked up to the rubber hose? Does it just go over it? Does it stay in place without falling?

It looks easy to do and I dont see the point of replacing the stock rubber hose for a plastic one like other people do.

thats kinda how i made my cai for my grand am. routed the filter right in front of my wheel. drove that car in all kinds of weather. only sucked up water twice and that was my fault. my strong american engine diddnt hydrolock.

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Thanks Scott.

Snake clamp holds the rubber hose over the plastic tubing, the tubing is held together with pvc primer and cement (its stronger than the plastic when it cures) And this would allow him to just set it in place without fear of it falling out the bottom of the car.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

SlaveSpawn

• 速いロケットはホ
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 何も Mitsu ? Honda Civ. ?
Thats looks pretty nice man but y didnt u just get some 4"-?" custom mandrel bent pipe at and a muffler shop, buy a seal kit. If ur concerned about heat use some heat wrap wet it down then wrap the pipe. I think I would have got an Apexi' cone too w/the middle funnel to get more air.

Posted Image

JEFFtheJ00la

• i was the first one to rent this monte, lol
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86crx soon to be b20b, 96Grand am sedan(9.22 1/8th), 79Trans am 403 to 350 in prog. , 03Dakota DD, 86 civic sedan si swap dd
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you really dont need any bigger than 3" or 3.5". and how is that filter going to flow any more than a k&n? its only a little 4 banger

Edited by jeff420, 23 February 2006 - 04:08 PM.

SportInjectedClubvisit my myspace SAHCR Member

if your offended by anything i post, you need to seriously get a life

SlaveSpawn

• 速いロケットはホ
  • PipPipPip
The K&N only gets air from the sides no direct flow since the front is blocked off, the Apexi does makes it easier to tube air into it.

Scott does have his tucked real good though, hopefully he's got it in the wheel well or tube'd.

Edited by SlaveSpawn, 23 February 2006 - 04:29 PM.

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
It is hard to see in the last picture, but I use tie wraps to secure the CAI.

The 45 degree elbow joint is wide enough so that the stock intake piece snugs right inside.

I did not photograph the filter to show that it draws air through the end as well.

Maybe the best part of all is that the black plastic piping sort of looks stock and has never drawn notice from smog inspectors.

I suppose I could have used mandrel bent pieces... but it never occured to me.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

SlaveSpawn

• 速いロケットはホ
  • PipPipPip
They prob don't notice since its tucked (can't see the cone) thinking its goes to a stock air box.

I was talking 1 piece or at least 2 or 3 piece mandrel bent pipe, pain in the ass but it look really sweet and u could stretch the diameter in certain parts. Then get all the angles and various diameters written down then we could take all the measurements to r local muffler shop and enjoy a nice Cai or u could sell them.

Edited by SlaveSpawn, 23 February 2006 - 04:53 PM.

87ClubRed

• Soon it'll scream...for now, just a hum...
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: '07 Mazda 3 GT / 87 CRX Si (Going under the knife)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Feb 23 2006, 12:50 PM)
Thanks Scott.

Snake clamp holds the rubber hose over the plastic tubing, the tubing is held together with pvc primer and cement (its stronger than the plastic when it cures) And this would allow him to just set it in place without fear of it falling out the bottom of the car.

I'm not sure this answered the question....or, maybe I'm just confused. Scott, at this point...

The 45 degree elbow joint is wide enough so that the stock intake piece snugs right inside.

...is it just friction that holds that section together? And it's secure?

squareback

• Nothing's stock at this house . . .
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 90 Civic Si, 89 Civic Si, 16 Pilot, 13 Ruckus
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (SlaveSpawn @ Feb 23 2006, 04:05 PM)
Thats looks pretty nice man but y didnt u just get some 4"-?" custom mandrel bent pipe at and a muffler shop, buy a seal kit. If ur concerned about heat use some heat wrap wet it down then wrap the pipe. I think I would have got an Apexi' cone too w/the middle funnel to get more air.

Posted Image

Just like with exhaust piping, you don't want the intake piping to be too big, or you could potentially lose intake velocity. 4" would be WAY too big for these little engines. I custom-made a CAI exactly like Scott's except that I used rubber elbows. It sounded much better, and I noticed significantly better throttle response. I drove mine in all weather and never had water issues.

Mike
No power . . . no weight

jerfguy

• Computer nerd
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: Two tone black '85 CRX si: Kragen CAI + CF hood + D16a1 + rear seat + smoked corns + side markers + mudflaps.
    • Image Gallery
I have got a cheap Kragen CAI and flipped the pipe arround to fit. biggrin.gif searching payed off. Anyways, I have noticed a loss in acelleration and nothing else realy changed. I loved my RAM intake. Great throtle response. So I will try another search and try and figure out whats the difference between the two.
QUOTE (1stGenRex @ Sep 25 2006, 08:54 PM)
I'd piss on her

QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Jun 16 2006, 01:39 PM)
you guys figured out my secret. i sell my ass for cash. i shake it at the butt-nekkid every night. *puts head down in shame*

QUOTE (JEFFtheJ00la @ Sep 26 2006, 08:46 PM)
lol. i hate to admit it but i wanted to grab his titty, it looked that good.

IZB16BR

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1988 Honda Integra
Dude, if it fits and it works, nothing beats a DIY CAI, i am planning on doing a custom CAI, from my short ram, on my integra, so im gonna go buy me some piping at Home Depot. smile.gif

G Make sure its safe from debree and from possible water. My $0.02