Ew/d16 Hybrid

• You cannot reply to this topic
89 replies to this topic

crazi-85crx

i know it's been a long time since the last post, but i have a question.

CAN i use the stock EW block? so i don't have to go through the hassle of having it bored and putting in the teg pistons. and if not, WHY?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Oct 29 2005, 07:57 PM)
i know it's been a long time since the last post, but i have a question.

CAN i use the stock EW block? so i don't have to go through the hassle of having it bored and putting in the teg pistons. and if not, WHY?

The idea is to use the EW block - the reson for boring it and putting in the Integra pistons is to have the valve pockets (four in the Interga piston) to match the four valves in the Integra head. Also, the Integra piston has a higher compression height than the EW series pistons. You could probably run the EW series pistons and not have interference between the piston and valves, but the compression woudl be low.

The D16A1 has a combustion chamber volume of ~43.8cc - the EW Si head ahs a combustion chamber volume of ~33.7cc.

Kirk

crazi-85crx

thanks for the fast reply. i probably will swap in the teg pistons, it's just easier the other way... can it be done.

so now that this is settled, how do i take the pistons off the connecting rods?

Edited by crazi-85crx, 30 October 2005 - 12:45 AM.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
You'll need a hydraulic press to seperate the wrist pin out of the rod/piston assembly. The machine shop you would use to bore your block for the Integra pistons should be able to do it, no problem.

Kirk

Edited by gtpilot, 30 October 2005 - 04:42 PM.

bigperm

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: twin webber hydra powered 1985 CRX
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Oct 30 2005, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (gtpilot @ Oct 30 2005, 04:42 PM)
You'll need a hydraulic press to seperate the wrist pin out of the rod/piston assembly.  The machine shop you would use to bore your block for the Integra pistons should be able to do it, no problem.

Kirk

ok thanks.
back to the EW pistons dry.gif , do you know what the compression ratio would be? is the level so low that i actually lose power campared to using the EW head? because if i'm running with 4 motorcycle carbs, won't the low CR be okay?

you can't use reuse your pistons. they don't work at all with the teg head. take a look at the difference between the ew head and teg head and you'll see what i mean.

Edited by bigperm, 31 October 2005 - 02:11 AM.

me mechanic... ooga booga. me hate electrical problems... ooga booga ooga booga... burp... fart!?!?...

bigperm's hydra project

crazi-85crx

QUOTE (bigperm @ Oct 31 2005, 12:15 AM)
you can't use reuse your pistons. they don't work at all with the teg head. i'll find some pics to show you what i mean.

okay thanks, it's just that i'm having a hard time seeing why not.

bigperm

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Oct 30 2005, 10:22 PM)
you can't use reuse your pistons. they don't work at all with the teg head. i'll find some pics to show you what i mean.

pics:

ew head

teg head

Edited by bigperm, 31 October 2005 - 02:11 AM.

me mechanic... ooga booga. me hate electrical problems... ooga booga ooga booga... burp... fart!?!?...

bigperm's hydra project

crazi-85crx

okay, so what does that mean? the pistons will hit the added valve?

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (bigperm @ Oct 31 2005, 01:10 AM)
QUOTE (crazi-85crx @ Oct 30 2005, 10:22 PM)

pics:

ew head

teg head

The top picture is actually a CDM PE3 DX head (note the "double d" shape of the combustion chamber) - the sister of the USDM PE7 Si head...

The real difference in using the Integra piston is its compression height is 1mm taller than the EW series pistons - it sticks out of the EW block by 1mm as it does in the Integra block. This is due to the large volume that the Integra combustion chambers have - you need the dome to get the compression back up.

So, if you use the EW series pistons and the Integra head you will most likely not have valve to piston interference as the EW series pistons are 1mm lower in the bore. The resulting CR would be about 7.4:1 - probably good for boost but not much else.

Kirk

bigperm

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Image Gallery
well put. what i'm trying to say is that even though it's easier to reuse your pistons and even if you are trying to keep the budget down, you really need to get those new pistons in. performance wise and reliability wise, you be glad you did.

which takes me to my next point...

at a machine shop, you can get your engine bored, honed, cleaned, new pistons pressed on the rods with new rings, new main and rod bearings, and everything put back together with a 90 day warrantee for $400-$500, depending on the labor rate. that's essentially a new bottom end for a very reasonable price. worth considering...

bigperm's hydra project

stevo911_

• I'm Canadian, Eh?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2000 Civc Ltd Edition w B16a swap
bringing back an uber old thread, but i still really like this idea, do you guys know if theres any way i'd be able to kick the compression ratio up to around 11:1 or 11.5:1 (any other pistons that could be used etc..)?

hatchbox

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 DOHC Si 1600 Hatch, 86 DOHC turbo Si 1500 Hatch & 86 CRX EW4 Si
I know this is a old thread but it so interseting to me right now because it looks as if I'm going to be doing a head gasket job on my daily driver. So what a better time to do some thing like this. The thing that seems to make this such a big deal breaker for a lot of people is that the EW or D15 3 valve pistons won't work well with the d16a1 head and that you must over bore from the stock 74mm to 75mm to put in integra pistons. So off to google I went and happend to stumble opon some 74mm 16 valve piston for a suzuki cultis. They are not vitara pistons which do fit in to the later d16's to give builders a low compression for boosting. However I did find out that the cultis has a compression ratio of 11.5 to 1 with a 36.5ish combustion chamber volume if I recall correctly.I also found that like the vitara pistons the wrist pin is 19mm. I found most of my info on the team swift forum. I haven't been able to source a cheap piston set. But maybe if I point some of you in the right direction we can source a cheaper set and see if we can make this swap cheaper, easier and with the possibility of a in car build up IE no or little machining required. Here is a link http://bdmotorsports...products_id=395 to new 11.5 to 1 pistons so you can see what they look like. The other thing that I was thinking about was the 1 longer head bolt need to go through the d16a1 head. The soution that gtpilot had with drilling out to make the bigger 11x1.5 integra stud fit may be to much for some to handle as well so I plan on looking at some of the newer D series head bolts to see if they would come close to the right length as they are the same thread as the EW block 10x1.25. The other thing that I was hoping is that gtpilot has the plans for the second tensioner pulley bracket he had machined. If these things work out this would turn into the next hot swap for us. So please help me in getting this thread going again.
Get more bang 4 your buck.

ef91

• 87 stock box
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 black hatch si, 91 red hatch si
    • Image Gallery
hatchbox, i've always like this thread but it seemed kinda of pricey just to swap a head and to bore out the block just to run teg pistons and stuff... and the head swap and pistons made almost the same power as a just a whole d16a1 swap... i like where this is going now and i would like to do this swap in the future... don't know everything, learning every day see if i can help out..... thanks for bringing back...

colin

hatchbox

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I just found another supplier for cultus pistons this morning that was cheaper than the last one I had a link to but I have to ask if they can get the stock size. All the pistons they sell on their web site are over bore. Anyways here's a link to that one. http://www.suzisport.com/shop/ By the way if I could come up with a engine code for this hybird it would be EZ1 the combo of EW and ZC1.

hatchbox

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Looks like the cultus pistons are out of the question as far as being afordable so I think that I may try the swift dohc 16v pistons. They are lower compression than the cultus but at least that engine came to the states and piston sets are available for around $150. The things I need to know now are how tall the EW block is, how long are the EW rods, how thin of a head gasket can you get, and how far can you shave a D16a1 head down. The reason I'd like to know all this is so I can see just how things will look on a compression calculator. Things I know so far 74mm bore, 86.5mm stroke and the swift pistons have a compression height of 29.1mm with little or no dome.