Fuel Smell In Vehicle...where Would It Come From?

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX HF
Usually right after I start the vehicle I can smell fuel inside the car.

What are the usual culprits for this problem?

Also, after I shut the car off it stinks up the entire garage with fuel smell. None is dripping on the ground or even off the motor. However, I can see that it is slightly wet by the back passenger bottom side of the carb.

Any tips would be appreciated.
l8er.

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Daveed @ Oct 19 2005, 05:35 PM)
Usually right after I start the vehicle I can smell fuel inside the car.

What are the usual culprits for this problem?

Also, after I shut the car off it stinks up the entire garage with fuel smell.  None is dripping on the ground or even off the motor.  However, I can see that it is slightly wet by the back passenger bottom side of the carb. 

Any tips would be appreciated.
l8er.

maybe a charkol canister?
05192012083.jpg

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
I have that smell and it comes from the old braided red fuel lines that connect the pump to the carb and the pump to the hard lines. I know that because I bypassed all of that stuff with new lines when I had my electric pump going. Those lines are almost twenty years old and probably have small cracks in them.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
what if I get the same smell right after I start it up, but I have a MPFI Si? Mak
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
you lost me now i was goign to say also the red fuel liine tha truns to the pump and to the carb are your trubles. i have had to use silicone to keep the joints form leacking the clamps and the hoses are woren out.

JDN14

On my 85 Si the fuel line behind the Driver's side door (where it exits to meet the fuel pump) rusted out...it was quite smelly, but i had a puddle. A small leak may give a smell and no puddle though...
93 Toyota Previa: Mid Engine, AWD people mover.

Computer

• Brian spilner racing team
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX DX, 03 MT IS300
    Garage View Garage
check the grommets that are in between the hard lines and the body, it may have worn a hole in those points and its leaking back into the car? or may have worn a small enough hole for it to not make a puddle (what that guy said ^^^)

Edited by Computer, 19 October 2005 - 09:18 PM.

86 crx

TAAGMANsCRXwithKYBs

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX si (Jackson), 84 CRX DX(Jake), 87 CRX Si (Jack)RIP
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
If it's like a pinhole leak and it's on the upward facing side of the grommet, it might only open up when there's pressure (like fuel being pushed through it) in the system. Result: fuel smell. I'd also check around the filler neck for the gas tank, as I had a fuel smell in a car once and it was caused by the rubber piece going bad in there.
TAAGMAN

There's only one basic difference between genius and stupidity... genius has its limits. - anonymous-

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Hungarian-English dictionary skit - Monty Python -

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Thanks for the tips. I'll check out those spots.

Last night when I got home I opened up the hood and heard a faint gurgling/hissing noise. I traced it to the mechanical fuel pump. Squeezing the line between the carb and the pump changed the noise but didn't stop it. Jiggling/squeezing the other two lines (fuel inlet to pump and fuel return) did nothing to affect the noise. There was no puddle or wetness anywhere around the pump or lines connected to it so I can't pinpoint the exact location of the noise.

I pulled the gas cap off the gas tank. This relieved some air from the tank and made the noise quieter but it didn't stop. I came out about a hour later and the noise had stopped.

Any ideas on what is going on with this? Thanks.

Tonight I'll check the hoses for leaks at the suggested spots. I'm guessing the tank cap is good cause when I remove it alot of air "whooshes" out of it.

Jamie...if the charcoal cannister is the source...how do you fix it?

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (JDN169 @ Oct 19 2005, 09:01 PM)
On my 85 Si the fuel line behind the Driver's side door (where it exits to meet the fuel pump) rusted out...it was quite smelly, but i had a puddle.  A small leak may give a smell and no puddle though...

I can see your point on that, as my car is without interior and I see where the lines go. How would I go about fixing that? I've dealt w/ brake lines before, but that was just for the rear-right fitting and it was only a 10" long section. If the line isn't it I'll try the advice the other posts suggested. Thanks, Mak
QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Smell pretty much disappeared after replacing the three rubber fuel lines in the engine compartment and the red rubber line going to the charcoal cannister.
Thanks for the help.

Doodson

• DOODSON
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1985 Racing Civic , 1995 Street Civic CX , 2007 Honda Civic 4dr, 1992 Racing Acura integra
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I was going to say the lines under the hood aswell.

One of mine fuel lines came part way off the carb and the smell was very strong until I got moving and the air blew it away

RARECRX

• Officially retired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 crx si,1985 CRX si, 2009 RS6,pimp'd out corolla,
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
you guys are all crazy!!!!! i got the thing to help you next time if you smell major fuel.... *** just get out of your car (at this point you are confused) you need to think... so light a cigarette then booooommmm!!!!! the firefighters will trace down exacly where that leak came from....simple ehhh.....and you guys look at me as a newb..LOL glad you found the problem....

Daveed

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
The smell came back suddenly mad.gif

All the fuel lines in the engine compartment are tight and no signs of liquid leaking. That mechanical fuel pump still gurgles for about 10-15 minutes after i shut the car off. The pressure is in the vapor line on the fuel pump side of the check valve. I am pretty sure this is where all the smell is coming from.

Anybody know how to fix this problem (other than the light a match method)?

crazi-85crx

imo it could be a faulty pump.

Edited by crazi-85crx, 29 November 2005 - 07:50 PM.