119 replies to this topic

Guest_-TJ_*

• Group: Guests
more exciting progress.

rollz87civic

• VOOM VOOM NO VTEC!!!!!!!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 civic sedan(sold) 1987 civic DX(sold) 1992 civic SI(sold) 1985 civic wagon 4wd(sold) 1986 civic std DD(Sold)1986 civic dx(sold)
    • Image Gallery
nice:)
SACHR member be hate for who you are not loved for who your not.

Posted Image
Member in the Carburetion Nation

RIP GLEN

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 84' Honda CIvic HB, 93 Honda Accord EX Wagon
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (strudel @ Sep 7 2006, 01:05 AM)
His own personally handcgafted models. I think if you look in http://www.redpepper.../gallery/v/-TJ/ you can see his initials on them. JS

Where can I get a set of those cam gears?

cbb4bf8a-8fb9-4b3f-9246-c8a7778a62a1_zps

Build Thread

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (strudel @ Sep 7 2006, 01:05 AM)
His own personally handcgafted models. I think if you look in http://www.redpepper.../gallery/v/-TJ/ you can see his initials on them. JS

You should make a tutorial on how you made those cam gears.

Build Thread

Guest_-TJ_*

Heh, heh...
Step 1: Design 3D model in AutoCAD.
Step 2: Have machine shop buddies convert .DWG file and upload into Fadal machining center.
Step 3: Watch chips of 7075 fly.

These are the only 2 ever made. If I would have had to pay, it would have been $400 for the pair. Setup & machine time is costly, but the per-unit price comes down when the number of units goes up. Unfortunately, there is never enough demand for me to really consider going into production. I tried that a few years ago with B-series and ZC cam gears. I made 10 sets. It took more than 2 years to sell them, with barely any profit.

Technically it would have been possible for me to make them on my old manual knee mill, but would have taken about 10x longer.

**Oh, and I made some minor updates in the primary project post

Edited by -TJ, 17 October 2006 - 09:50 AM.

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Where did you get ARP headstuds for this motor, I was looking around for them the other day for my race car but couldn't find any.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

1gcvcb18

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Do you have the 3D model design in AutoCAD and what material did you use?

Edited by 1gcvcb18, 18 October 2006 - 08:55 AM.

Build Thread

Guest_-TJ_*

QUOTE (Maine_Honda_Racer @ Oct 17 2006, 01:28 PM)
Where did you get ARP headstuds for this motor, I was looking around for them the other day for my race car but couldn't find any.

After lots of measuring (block depth, head thickness) and a bit of time on the phone with ARP, we determined that the closest head stud kit was ARP P/N 208-4303. This is the Acura Integra GS-R (B18C1) kit. You will have to cut one stud short to clear the cam (you know, there is one pad that sits higher than the rest). It's no problem, there is plenty of thread and the nut has full engagement.

QUOTE (1gcvcb18 @ Oct 18 2006, 06:54 AM)
Do you have the 3D model design in AutoCAD and what material did you use?

I just looked. For some reason I don't have the 3D model, but I do have a flat 2D drawing of the aluminum insert. However, I know this drawing is not 100% accurate. We made some changes on the fly at the machine shop because I had the inside of the gear confused with the outside (unless you make note, they could go either way because the UP mark and horizon marks are on BOTH sides of the gear....)

As for material - the gears themselves are factory stock 1986/1987 D16A1 cam gears. The adjustable insert is made from 7075 aluminum. Here's a more informative picture of how they were made:

Maine_Honda_Racer

• Can't stay off the race track!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1993 Civic EX Track Car, 1987 Crx Si Ice Racer, 1990 CRX Si Track Car, 2004 Dodge Durango
Thank you! I intend to put these and a metal headgasket into my race for next year. I am sick and tired of replacing headgaskets a couple of times a season.

Ben

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fact, I rock out an RPR decal!

Guest_-TJ_*

Happy to help! Who makes a metal head gasket? biggrin.gif

Guest_-TJ_*

Dual Masters pedal re-do finished - see bottom of 1st post in this thread.

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
Nice job TJ cool.gif ! What I would give to have some of the machinery you have available to you.

That's very similar to what I figured I would have needed to do a few years ago when I tried to run my car with a larger M/C (sans booster of course). I was planning on moving the pushrod attachment point up though.

One thing I've wondered about concerning the brake pedal arm. See the 'S' shape it has looking straight on at it? I've often wondered if it flexes any when pressed upon with a large amount of force. Ever thought about that?

So, when are you going to get around to mounting some black gel coated fiberglass parts? wink.gif

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Guest_-TJ_*

QUOTE (jsgprod @ Oct 27 2006, 04:15 AM)
Nice job TJ  cool.gif ! What I would give to have some of the machinery you have available to you.

That's very similar to what I figured I would have needed to do a few years ago when I tried to run my car with a larger M/C (sans booster of course). I was planning on moving the pushrod attachment point up though.

One thing I've wondered about concerning the brake pedal arm. See the 'S' shape it has looking straight on at it? I've often wondered if it flexes any when pressed upon with a large amount of force. Ever thought about that?

So, when are you going to get around to mounting some black gel coated fiberglass parts?  wink.gif

Jay

Thanks Jay, the machinery is nice to have, but then there is always that something else that you need!!!

The brake pedal's S shape & flexing did cross my mind, but I look at it this way - Kirk's old racecar had the exact same setup, except the pivot point was not moved, so he had to use A LOT of leg to slow down, which explains why he's so fast cool.gif . By moving the pivot closer to the pushrod, I'll need less effort to do the same braking. So, my logic is that if Kirk's pedal lasted as long as it did with no trouble, then I should have no trouble, right!?

I plan to put the body kit on once all the mechanical is sorted out. The car is pretty much ready to drive except we got 6" of the white stuff yesterday...

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (-TJ @ Oct 27 2006, 08:27 AM)
The car is pretty much ready to drive except we got 6" of the white stuff yesterday...

laugh.gif tongue.gif Yeah, I saw that on the news this morning. We had a cold front come throught\ here this week too...I think I had to put my jacket on one morning. cool.gif

It was in the 50's. laugh.gif

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

Guest_-TJ_*

QUOTE (jsgprod @ Oct 27 2006, 04:00 PM)
laugh.gif  tongue.gif  Yeah, I saw that on the news this morning. We had a cold front come throught\ here this week too...I think I had to put my jacket on one morning. cool.gif

It was in the 50's.    laugh.gif

That's harsh.

Another update in post #1