K Swap Knowledge Dump

• You cannot reply to this topic
384 replies to this topic

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si K20Z1
Not calling this a guide as Im still in the process but I figured since the site is back up we could get a thread going for searches / archives. 

Here is a parts list that I compiled. I could be missing things I will update as things come to. I will post snippets under parts as need

Motor / trans / ecu / harness  - Any of the classic K series family will technically work. The ones with 'real' ivtec would be highly preferred. 02-06 rsx type s,  06-11 civic si, 04-08 TSX(K24). The k24 will fit but for hood and ground clearance the k20 may be better. IMO the 02-04 rsx is the best choice of the lot #1 it uses vss similiar to the 88-00 hondas that give you the best chance of figuring out the speedo. The 05/06 rsx uses a different signal that will require a converter or modern cluster swap. #2 The wiring and wire harness availability is most straight forward on the 02-04 rsx. #3 Follows #2 with Kpro working best with the 02-04 rsx type s ECU. I HIGHLY suggest a donor car to acquire these parts. I got a wrecked 04 type s from copart for $1500. These swaps go for 3-4k from the big name motor depots. I also got shift cables, accessories, and a giant bucket full of honda nuts and bolts. I also sold back at least $700 worth of parts from the rsx.  Junk yard hunting is also an option. You will want an unmodified/cut engine harness as it will be replacing the one in your bay / interior. 

Mounts - Mounts are tricky at the moment. Chedda is revising his K mounts and hasport ETA is unknown. Brian has said sometime between April and end of summer. Im sure you could reach out to Jordain and express interest / follow his progess on the revision.  You will need to hammer / massage the Passenger rail right under where the battery tray used to be. You may or not also need to clearance the driver said rail where the tip of the k20 transmission will be. I can try to post pictures of this later.

Axles- Insane shafts offers 500 and 1000hp axles for this swap. Its not on their website. Email them to order. Theyre very responsive. You will need new hubs. See next bullet point

Hubs - You will need 91 crx Si Hubs/bearings. These can be found on ebay or Karcepts 32mm. You can use your stock knuckles BUT there is a good chance you will have to shave / grind the front of the knuckle 1-2mm.  Some people report they are direct fit. I had to grind my knuckles on my 87 crx si. As far as I can tell there is no rhyme or reason to who has or hasnt had to grind their knuckles. 

02-04 RSX type S ecu with Hondata k pro - The kpro unit installs on top of the rsx ecu. You CAN use just the rsx ecu but you will probably be fighting emissions codes and you will need an immobilizer bypass(offered by ktuned) UNLESS you use a jdm type R ecu (no immobilizer)

Conversion harness - Rywire / Ktuned / HR  make a 'standalone' conversion harness that IMO is by far the easiest way to wire the swap. The harness connects to the ecu and type s engine harness and you need to connect about 8 wires yourself to the car. 

Shifter box - 3 main options. Ktuned / hybrid racing rsx shifter, Hybrid racing no cut shifter, stock rsx. If you want to maintain the center console and shift boot, the hybrid racing no cut is the only option. It is not no cut on our cars. You will have to cut the crown of off the shifter tunnel and cut/hammer some of the tac welded heat shield underneath the car in the tunnel. It does bolt in after that though. The other 2 options require mounting plates and drilling holes in the firewall for the cables. 

Shifter cables - Stock / Ktuned / Hybrid racing

Clutch - The k20 uses a hydraulic clutch. Hasport makes a conversion kit with mixed reviews. You can also make your own. There is a user on the facebook group who offers / offered to do this for people.

Throttle body/cable- After 2006 honda switched to drive by wire. Stick to 02-06 throttle body/cable setup

Header - You will need a swap header. RSX headers will NOT work. They dont bend sharply enough. The PLM 4-1 swap header or skunk2 alpha 4-1 are your best bets. You want something that bends tight, drops down, then tight to the tunnel. Im using the PLM ramhorn style and it fits but requires relocation of the fuel filter.

Radiator / coolant hoses / heater hoses -  You will need a tucked style radiator (Speedfactory, sheepey, etc). The hoses for the rad and heater need to be figured out (AN, custom, swap hoses, etc)

Fuel rail, FPR, filter,  fuel lines, fittings - Im in the process of doing the fuel setup right now. The k20 has a returnless fuel system while ours has a return. Ktuned / Hybrid racing offer a rail for this. The lines, filter and fpr need to figured out. AN probably your best bet

Fuel pump - Walbro 255 inline fuel pump is close to being a direct bolt in. I would not run your stock 30yr old pump

A/C & P/S delete - Ktuned/hybrid racing etc make an ac / ps delete kit. Or you can use an ep3 idler pulley and belt

Gauge cluster temp sender - Ktuned and HR offer a temp sending unit that bolts on the head to send a temp signal that our cluster understands.

While not technically required for the swap. Upgraded torsion bars are a no brainer while the suspension is apart for the swap. 27mm or higher highly recommended. 

100386361_10104598784106742_758463873262

Edited by Mag00n, 28 May 2020 - 11:19 PM.

dms04

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: AJ civic

Following!! thanks for the share!

CSPCRX

Good info. I am local and working with Brian at Hasport on a K swap kit. He said he has test fit the K20 and K24 dozens of times in our cars and it actually fits better than in the 88-91 CRX. Our engine compartment is actually taller. He feels hood and ground clearance are a none issue even with a K24.

He just mentioned it on one of his Vtec Academy videos. He’s shooting for something to be done by this summer. We may use my car or he said he would mock up all the mounts in his then do the install in mine.

As I learn more I will share more.

Victor
86 K24 Powered CRX SI (SMF Solo2, HPDE-4 NASA & TA-A Time Attack

85 CRX DX totally original
07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Good info. I am local and working with Brian at Hasport on a K swap kit. He said he has test fit the K20 and K24 dozens of times in our cars and it actually fits better than in the 88-91 CRX. Our engine compartment is actually taller. He feels hood and ground clearance are a none issue even with a K24.

He just mentioned it on one of his Vtec Academy videos. He’s shooting for something to be done by this summer. We may use my car or he said he would mock up all the mounts in his then do the install in mine.

As I learn more I will share more.

Good to know someone local is in talks with him. Chris and I have spoken to him as well. I dont blame him for how long it has taken. The demand hasnt been there. 

CSPCRX

Looking at your list. May also want to list the TBs that are cable.  I believe some have changed intakes to get around this or use an adapter plate.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage

I may be am very out of the loop on the state of k swaps and getting iVTEC to work with non-stock engine managements, but couldn't you just leave most of the factory harness in place and run the engine on some modern megasquirt as a standalone engine management?

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I may be am very out of the loop on the state of k swaps and getting iVTEC to work with non-stock engine managements, but couldn't you just leave most of the factory harness in place and run the engine on some modern megasquirt as a standalone engine management?

Not too familiar with megasquirt but you are essentially running it standalone. You run the rsx engine harness into the rsx/ecu, the rywire harness is a bridge for o2 sensor, ignition, fuel pump, tach, speed, starter. You could run a K in just about any car with this setup. I dont think there is anything not modern about k pro. 

Edited by Mag00n, 03 February 2020 - 03:43 PM.

mattiep

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 05 Volvo Xc70, 87 Honda Civic Wagon, 65 Chevy Bel Air, 69 Volvo P1800 S

Also remember guys when doing k swaps stick with certain years 02-04 are k pro compatible, 05-06 can't be mixed with 02-04 with out issues. 05-06 can be tuned with ktuner but kpro is much nicer to have. also any engine harness will work as long as its 02-04 MANUAL harness. 02-05 ep3 civic si's can be used as well. rsx base ecu with immobilizers will throw codes for intake manifold functions. 02-05 ep3s don't have that issue, so their another good option. even a base k20a3 would rock out in our cars. My 96 civic hatchback with k24a4 and ep3 5 speed header, intake, exhaust, and a hondata reflash for the ep3 rolls out very nicely.

Life your life to the fullest, each and everyday is not guaranteed 

CSPCRX

Brian mention the swap again on his youtube channel last night. He is going to us a Civic hatch that was a very close friends of mine, who passed. Years ago when Brian first started doing the ZC swaps he used his car for some pictures and did a brown top ZC swap in it. After he passed he bought the car from my friends widow since she had no use for it and Brian was familiar with the car.

If you guys have YouTube accounts you may want to post your support for the swap in the comment section.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage

If you guys have YouTube accounts you may want to post your support for the swap in the comment section.

Link to the channel?

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

CSPCRX

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

I was at Hasport today and talked with Brian some about the swap. He said he might bring it up on tonight’s video so if you can chime in and show your support do so.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

Mag00n

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I was at Hasport today and talked with Brian some about the swap. He said he might bring it up on tonight’s video so if you can chime in and show your support do so.

Hes supposed to be showing off the passenger side mount maybe this week. We'll see

CSPCRX

I talked with him Friday. We came up with our parts list for my K swap. Working on sourcing items. See what he shares Tuesday night.

Motor is going to be a 2002-2008 JDM Accord Types 3 lobe K24A2 (local guys says he will have some in 4 weeks)

Trans is a 02-06 DC5 Base RSX 5 speed W2M5 that I am installing a KAAZ LSD in.(ordered today and should have these in a few weeks)

ECU will be a Hondata K-Pro

These are the big items, lots of small parts going into this obviously. Right now I am sourcing all of the items on my list so when the mounts are ready we can do the swap.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily

CSPCRX

Brian mentioned the mounts again on VTEC academy says they are on his top two to make.

Victor

07 Harley FXST Softail

2021 Tacoma Tow/Daily