I Think My Crx Wants A Pool

• You cannot reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX DX
It has been raining for the past 3 days here in Gainesville, FL. I have noticed that there is water in my spare tire area after I drive somewhere. I have not noticed this to be a problem in the past, but I am sure that this has been going on for a while. I do not know where this water is coming from. The mat seems to be dry, so I do not think it is coming from above. I think it might be coming from a missing plug, the metal piece that goes in the middle of my spare tire to hold it in place, or last the plugs which the plastics pieces goes though the grommet and the back mat helps cover (this was a random guess). Is this a common thing? Should I drive around town and have my fiancé look in the back as I drive over puddles? Or should I let my crx have a pool?

1987 Honda CRX DX

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
It is coming from the tail lights.

Water runs down the sides of the hatch, onto the tail lights that have 23yo weathered foam for seals. Pooling up on those and seeping inside, running down the inside and into the spare wheel area.

Replace those seals, and your problem will be gone. (not sure if Honda still carries them, but you can make your own out of 1/4" closed cell foam, find something similar density to original)

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
i wouldnt plug that hole at the bottom arrow. its a good drain if it does pool up. the tire holder shouldnt leak... or have a hole
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

Vicious

tail lights like was stated above wink.gif guaranteed

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
http://www.hondapart...s...&quantity=0

So i need part #4 = $17.89? I thought i saw a how to make your own taillight gasket on here somewhere, maybe that was another gasket of some kind.
1987 Honda CRX DX

Vicious

yes sir that's what you need to replace. in all honesty i'd just go to a hobby shop and pick up some foam and make your own. it'd be cheaper than buying both from the dealership. and you'd have material left over if you ever need to make more replacements.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Success is about standing out, not fitting in.

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
QUOTE (Vicious @ May 21 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes sir that's what you need to replace. in all honesty i'd just go to a hobby shop and pick up some foam and make your own. it'd be cheaper than buying both from the dealership. and you'd have material left over if you ever need to make more replacements.

x2
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
Just got back from Michael's and i purchased some foam and some crazy glue. I am making a printable template, so all can enjoy. I will post a little write up tomorrow. Thanks every one!
1987 Honda CRX DX

C8V6C

Yep, that is what it sounds like....if you have ever taken the taillights off, you know what foam "gasket" we are talking about...

844b096b-9fda-4214-b621-217bc4a6dce1.jpg

dkyk25

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
QUOTE (ydennek @ May 21 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got back from Michael's and i purchased some foam and some crazy glue. I am making a printable template, so all can enjoy. I will post a little write up tomorrow. Thanks every one!

did Micahels have foams 1/4" thick?
since Majestic Honda didn't have them I checked Michaels for some foam but didn't find any.
So I went to Home Depot and bought some pipe insulation.

also, I don't think you need glue for these gaskets.
Recyling is not the answer. Using less to begin with is.

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
No, no glue. You slide the gasket onto the tail light studs, and then reinstall the tail light. Done. smile.gif

Also, I think I made a post about making some of these a couple years back. It's straight forward though. Lay old gasket on new foam, trace, and cut out. Done.

Just make sure it's closed cell foam, use the other stuff and you'll just make things worse.

1styearSI

• first year SI
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 civic SI SOLDI, 92 accord ex SOLD,84 yamaha virago 95 FIREBIRD FORMULA RAM AIR,2014 civic lx
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
can't you just use the 3m stuff that kockabox used on his build??

1styearSI

• first year SI
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 86 civic SI SOLDI, 92 accord ex SOLD,84 yamaha virago 95 FIREBIRD FORMULA RAM AIR,2014 civic lx
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
also the si drain tubes for the sun roof shrink up sometimes or come off and that could also be the source of the leak the roof drains go to the back of the car by the tail light's

EuphoricBlue

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
QUOTE (carlsandrewsjr @ May 21 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
also the si drain tubes for the sun roof shrink up sometimes or come off and that could also be the source of the leak the roof drains go to the back of the car by the tail light's

Don't forget to point out that the sunroof drains are at the front and wouldn't create pools at in the spare wheel compartment. (AFAIK)

But it is a good point that it should be checked that they aren't clogged/racked/leaking.

QUOTE (carlsandrewsjr @ May 21 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
can't you just use the 3m stuff that kockabox used on his build??

In reference to this thread: http://www.redpepper...mp;#entry196680

Yes, you could use that. You could use a lot of stuff. Mine was simply what I used and is a method that is similar to OEM, but no way is wrong if it stops the leaking.

ydennek

• Kennedy
  • PipPip
I made a quick template of the gasket last night, going to see if it fits before i go off to work.

1987 Honda CRX DX