Budget Friendly Medieval-pro Kits

• You cannot reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    Garage View Garage
Hi guys. many of you are familiar with our awesome Medival-Pro damper kit developed by Heeltoe in conjunction with Tein USA. Alas, at $1270 a set, these are priced well outside the range of the casual buyer. Even with more than 60 kits sold to date, we know a lot of you are longing for something a little more budget friendly for street use.

I have been working with Function/Form Autolife for the last year or two on a "spec" kit for TSX and TL applications that are our bread-and-butter. Having come to work with them has opened the door to us producing a damper kit for the torsion-bar crowd that is not only of good enough quality for us to support, but is cost-friendly as well.

Of course, the economies of scale will come into play in the pricing. Kits for these cars SHOULD cost less than many applications on offer here, but due to the volume we are expecting being lower I am not sure that will come to fruition. That being said, the pricing should be really attractive:

A Type-I kit, non-adjustable for dampening, front strut, rear coil-over damper would run around $599.
A Type-II kit, adjustable for dampening front and rear, would run around $899.

Our tuning of the Type-I kit for the 04-08 TSX and TL has proved that we are able to get the valving good on a non-adjustable kit, so we think this will be the primary option for people. All kits would be shortened dampers, with ample travel at reduced heights. The front would likely be an adjustable length damper tube as well, giving even more tractability to the height range.

NOTE: These kits are not to be considered as performance alternatives to the Medieval-Pro Damper kit made by Tein. If you are looking for performance in Auto-X or on a racetrack, the Tein MPs are still the best alternative to Koni double-adjustables you can get. These F2 kits will be your alternative to KYB/Tokico with Ground Controls or other springs.

Before people are tempted not to hold their breath for us to take action here, consider the facts:
1) We are dedicated to this community and have come to the plate with home-runs on a pretty wide variety of products.
2) While others have stepped up to challenge or usurp us, we are still here.
3) We actually have the resources to complete this project.

So, that being said, let's get an interest thread going here please add your name to the following list if we can count on you for a 30% deposit in the next 60 days.

Riesh

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: Civic 1.5i GT 1985
1. Riesh
'It's better to burn out than to fade away.'

exartist

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
I'm in, probably for a Type-I.

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Do this....

1. Riesh
2. exartist

Rampage

• I bleed motor oil.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Moderators
    • Drives: The Si (86 Civic Si D16A1 blacktop) The Blackbird (87 CRX Si Bone Stock) Cherry II (86 Civic 1500S Mostly Stock)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
1. Riesh
2. exartist
3. Rampage

Finally I have some room to play with on my credit card. Marcus, please email me the details when you expect some payment and I will be on board this time. (voting for Type I)

[email protected]

Cheers,
Mark

SportInjectedClub

I don't frequent the boards much anymore, but i'm a wealth of knowledge. Email or PM me if you're stumped!

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Cool! It's not a vote though, we will have both kits available. I think the Type-I kit will be I think the most popular one. For the Acuras it outsells the Type-II 10-1 easily, maybe more.

E-AT_me

• go ahead. eat me..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Civic Si, 1991 Civic Si, 2001 Saab 9-3, 2007 Saab 9-3 Aero, 2003 Honda Pilot, 2009 Ducati Monster 696
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
happy with my koni yellows, but really happy to see you bringing great products to the market for these out-dated and forgotten cars.
1986 Civic Si; b16a is in.. just gotta get it running..
longest swap ever..... :(

dtpten

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 hatch with d16a1 brown top wiring almost done! Daily driver 2011 CRZ
    • Image Gallery
this is good, i was really happy with my FF type 1 kit for my EG sedan, so this is something i am interested in.
thanks for the hard work!
just had two fillings done plus other stuff, i owe the dentist as of now
in a month ill probably put my name on the list.

dtpten

ballade

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1985 CRX Si B16A / 1992 Integra RS B18C
    • Image Gallery
Wow great news. Thanks for the support for these old (not so popular) cars

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
So, dtpten and ballade...add to the list now? It isn't a commitment at this time...

jjamiemmark

• Spit pop bang
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 86 CRX,91 CRX SI
    Garage View Garage
1. Riesh
2. exartist
3. Rampage
4. JJamieMM

Wow I have been waiting for this for a long time.
05192012083.jpg

zakats

• 1980's birth control, brought to you by Honda.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: The work car, way more than I'd care to admit
    Garage View Garage
Will you stock them or do production runs? What sort of time table will you be working with?
He who dies with the most toys, wins.

ArnyBoy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 86 Si Straman #108 92 NSX sold:( 13 ILX 06 Honda Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
hey marcus I have the illuminas now would these kits give me any advantages in terms of adjustability or better handling? I have the car lowered now to about 1 inch to being level with the fenderwell. I like to have adjustability, which kit would be best for me in your opinion? I don't track the car much yet and it does see the drag strip a few times a year. but yes I'm interested.

I pitty the fool...

MrDisibility

• Heeltoe Auto Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (zakats @ Feb 29 2012, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will you stock them or do production runs? What sort of time table will you be working with?

Well, sorta both. We will do a run and hopefull yhave stock after that. There will probably be an incentive to pre-order. I expect we could have parts in customer hands by around May/June (this is taking into account some back and forth shipping to prototype parts, installing on my car for testing, etc)

QUOTE (ArnyBoy @ Feb 29 2012, 06:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey marcus I have the illuminas now would these kits give me any advantages in terms of adjustability or better handling? I have the car lowered now to about 1 inch to being level with the fenderwell. I like to have adjustability, which kit would be best for me?? in your opinion. I don't track the car much yet and it does see the drag strip a few times a year. but yes I'm interested.

The main thing you will get is more travel for more lowering if you want it. The Type-II kit would be the firmness adjustable one, so there would be a higher cost, but you'd again have more adjustability in the front and rear heights and presumably better body control. I have the illuminas in my car now and while they are pretty firm they don;t have good body control IMO.

ArnyBoy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 CRX Si 86 Si Straman #108 92 NSX sold:( 13 ILX 06 Honda Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
Do you have a rough Idea what would be included in the type II kit? rear spring options? spring adapters? coil overs? if you had a photo of the prototype that would be awesome too. was just wonderin cause the MP kit looks quite savory when you approach 1g for a setup.

I pitty the fool...