• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si NH-94M
    Garage View Garage
Hello all, newbie to the forum, picked up a sweet all stock '87 Si, 157k miles, needs a little tlc.

Both Outer CV Boots are shot, for now to get me through and on the road,
I got (2) of the "split" Motormite Dorman #03607 Speedi-Boot.
Understanding is the car sat a long while, the boots rotted, and has been driven very little since, no clicks or pops...
Was wondering if anyone else has used them and had any experience or opinions ?

I really would have rather just got new axles which are a much better value and the way to go,
but for right now with other items on the "to-do" list I'm unable to afford new axles,
which is what I would have prefered to do, just lack the funds right now.

Edited by PHAT87CRX, 06 February 2012 - 11:36 AM.

If it's got wheels or tatas, it's gonna consume time and money

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
I wish you lived near me, I would tell you NO, buy the OEM replacement kit and come on over. I could have them both done in about 2 hours for you.

But, seeing that your finances are tight, and you don't live near me, Sure, go ahead. But I haven't had much luck with them.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thanks for the generous offer.
Yeah, I'm sure once familiar with the process it's probaly pretty straight forward.
I've been wrenchin for years, just on old American iron rather than sexy foreign jobs.
Expanding my horizons I reckon, lol.

May I ask, by "haven't had much luck" do ya mean fit and/or function, or service life, or all three ?
Have wondered about the "integrity" of the mechanicaly fastened split seam.

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (PHAT87CRX @ Feb 6 2012, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
May I ask, by "haven't had much luck" do ya mean fit and/or function, or service life, or all three ?
Have wondered about the "integrity" of the mechanicaly fastened split seam.

I have "reluctantly" installed them for friends, and found that if you install them the way to keep from grabbing road debris, you end up slinging out the grease. I haven't seen or tried the "mechanically fastened" ones.

All boots are mechanically fastened, by definition. I need to look up the number of what you are asking. be back in a sec.
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

badpenny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Feb 6 2012, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have "reluctantly" installed them for friends, and found that if you install them the way to keep from grabbing road debris, you end up slinging out the grease. I haven't seen or tried the "mechanically fastened" ones.

All boots are mechanically fastened, by definition. I need to look up the number of what you are asking. be back in a sec.

Oh, well apparently, they have added nuts and bolts to help seal the seam, since I last tried the split boot.

1986civicsi

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: CRX w/d16 - HP CRX- 73 & 86 si projects
    Garage View Garage
Tried one on street car. only lasted about a week and fell apart. Ended up just replacing axle.

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)
I have tried these as well, after someone I know recommended them, bad idea, I ended up replacing it with a no seam boot. Because it was the outer I ended up replacing the inner boot as well because as far as I know you have to slip it on from that end (inner cv joint end that is). You could probably get both boots for $20-$25 shipped from Rock Auto, but might be easier buy a NEW, not remanufactured, CV shaft. I have found that remanufactured shafts don't last that long (~6 months for me). If there is no new option available I would definitely take the time to replace the boots.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Ya they are best replaced by Oem or aftermarket style that is seemless. I'm getting rid of my stock ones because I'm doing a b series swap. One axle is bran new with only 10 km on it and the other is used. I don't know what I would want for them.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
chedda_j - thanks for the offer, is it high shipping cost from Canada to USA ?

Thanks everyone, having second thoughts about the Speedi-Boots.
Have yet to open, pretty sure, hope I can return them.

Honda OEM Boots look to be still available, but man they're the same $ as new EMPI Axles !
Item 25 = # 44018-SA5-A01 = "CV Boot Set" - ? 1 Inner & 1 Outer for Right Side ? $43.60 + ship
Item 25 = # 44018-SB2-A91 = "CV Boot Set, L." 1 Inner & 1 Outer for Left Side ? $43.60 + ship

->? Any opions on which brand of replacement normal (1) Piece CV boots ?
Raybestos, Beck Arnley, etc ? from RockAuto, right around $40 for all (4) CV Boots by Back Arnley.
May soon be diving into rebuilding CV Joint driveshafts for the first time, $20 in Boots / side.
But man, EMPI New Driveshafts are about $60 each with shipping.
Sorry, sure this topic has been kicked around about a thousand times.

Edited by PHAT87CRX, 09 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
Its probably best to just go with the new shafts, for 60 a side, like you said, best bang for the buck without any extra bull shit work.

Boots from rockauto are as cheap as 3 or 4 dollars an end, but then again, your looking at having to remove bearing assemblys and you couldnt pay me to take those apart. What a pain in the A$$ when you have to regrease everything, get your hands filthy dirt, and try and get the new boot clamps to secure properly. I can be a cheap ass but I in no way would opt for doing boots.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
From opinions posted here and elsewhere, Split Speedi-Boots returned.
Reckon they have their place for use when in a pinch and need a temporary quick easy fix.

Have time, lack funds, mananged to get all (4) seamless OE Style CV Boots in Raybestos brand and
a pair of Beck/Arnley brand Rack Boots all to my door for less than the cost of (1) New EMPI or GSP Axle.
Surprised each CV Boot location has an individual part number, (4) different CV Boots.
Moog has different L & R Rack Boot part numbers, Beck/Arnley is the same part number for L & R.

1987 Honda CRX Si 1.5L F.I.
BECK/ARNLEY # 103-2670 - LR Boot Steering Rack
RAYBESTOS ..# 816-1241 - CV Boot OUTER LEFT
RAYBESTOS ..# 816-1242 - CV Boot OUTER RIGHT
RAYBESTOS ..# 816-2274 - CV Boot INNER LEFT
RAYBESTOS ..# 816-8018 - CV Boot INNER RIGHT

Yeah, the FSM appears to show the Outer CV Joint as non-removeable from the shaft
and the Inner has to come apart to install Outer Boots from the Inner end.
Will be interesting to see the condition of the CV internals.
Opinions / tips on keeping the Inner CV Rollers mated up with their respective slots ?
Checked out a few CV Joint videos on YouTube.
There's some greasy slippery dirty work in my future, will try and see it as "fun".
Jumpin' into this Honda fwd thing with both feet, might actually learn somethin' new.

Any tips gettin' Lower Ball Joints and Outer Tie Rods seperated without damage ?
Without having the special Honda Tool ? Few love taps from a hammer on the sides
of the tapered receiver portion have worked in the past on other vehicles.

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
--> Update:

Got both drive shafts out last night to replace all (4) CV Boots, took apart the shorter passenger side one first.
The inner joints are the roller type, in the FSM it says to keep the Rollers mated to the same Grooves.
Do you all mark the rollers and grooves, put'em all back in the same locations ?

Boy, the thicker inner Spider Retaining Snap Ring can be a bear since it has no "ears" or "holes", any tips ?

On an '87 CRX Si, does the ball type Outer CV Joint come apart from the shaft ?
The FSM says that the outer ball type joint is non-removeable on an Inner Ball Type Joint drive shaft
but it is unclear about if the outer Ball Type Joint is removeable or not on an Inner Roller Type drive shaft.
The outer Boots are what were both busted and would really like to get the Outer Ball Type Joints
off the shafts and apart to thouroughly clean and inspect before re-assembly.
The driver side outer boot busted right at the small end right next to the band clamp.
It was still full of grease and moves freely and smoothly.
The passenger side outer boot was ripped in half right around the middle of the CV boot.
That side still had some grease in it, but not as much, and was just a little bit "stiffer" and less "free".
Reckon the p/s lost more grease and had more "exposure" since the boot was busted in the center.
No visible rust, felt through the grease between fingers, almost no grit, but a little here and there.
It was like this when I bought the car in late January, and it has not been driven since purchased.

Man I hope the outer ball type joints can be removed from the shafts.......

On the longer drive side shaft, it enlarges to 41mm diameter along the center.
The shaft is only about 26mm diameter out at the outer end where the small end of the outer boot sits.
If the Outer joint doesn't come apart from the shaft, that new Outer Boot meant to fit snugly
on a 26mm shaft will have to be s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out over the 41mm dia mid-part of the shaft !

Please tell me the outer ball type joints come off of the ends of the main shafts.......
Are they held on the shaft with a Spring Clip maybe like how the inners are held into the transmission ?

Thanks everyone for all the patience and help, it's really appreciated.

ncdogcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si, 2012 nissan altima, 82 dodge truck
I personally find it cheaper just to replace axles. Like someone said 60-65 bucks new ones can be bought.

PHAT87CRX

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage
I agree, but a pair of new axles with tax & shipping ends up $150 or more.
Working with a limited budget for right now.
Got all (4) CV Boots & (2) Rack Boots for only $57 to my door.
Car has 157k on it and I think the original oem "two red stripe" drive shafts.
Inner boots were still intact and had honda part numbers on'em and the bands.
Outer boots lacked the Honda part numbers, musta been replaced before.
Hmmm, guess that suggest the outer CV Joints come off the end of the axles.....
Found videos on youtube showing the outer CV Joint coming off the Shaft, but it was a '91 iirc.
From folks wackin'em with bfh to knock'em off, to special tools that clamp the main shaft
and then use the axle nut to draw the outer CV Joint off the shaft / spring clip ring.
Also found a place on the web that sells a pair of replacement outer CV Joints / Boots for $50,
and the new outer boots came with a replacement spring clip, which both also suggest they come off.
Like to know "where I'm going before leaving" and avoid destroying something serviceable unnecessarily.
All new stuff for me, curious to investigate and learn as much as possible, having fun actually.
Just a noob, green to fwd and hondas, excited, and jumpin' in with both feet.
Thanks, I agree, and could have been done and driving already.

gustav129

• At a racetrack near me....
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 1981 CP Mustang, 1987 Civic Si - R.I.P., 1974 IH Scout II
    Garage View Garage
Try NAPA, I just got a price quote for $45 each new axle. (but I'm a tech at a Ford Dealership, so I have a little bit of a discount)
Posted Image
Under steer is when you hit the wall with your front end.
Over steer is when you hit the wall with your rear end.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you move the wall.
RGL Motorsports #129