Shutter, Popping Noise. Motor Mount?

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si

I've notice while shifting and accelerating around 2-2500k/40/44 MPH I feel a slight shutter, hear a metal popping/vibration noise from the glove box/center dash area. Motor mounts?
Sent from Nok Nok

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 15 July 2014 - 01:47 PM.

niccer

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '87 Civic Si, '11 F150 Ecoboost

If it is, it could be your rear mount that connects the subframe to the back of the motor/transmission. 

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

If it is, it could be your rear mount that connects the subframe to the back of the motor/transmission. 

There's only two mounts for engine correct? Only transmission I could find is this http://www.oreillyau...C2251&ppt=C0338 which would insert into the transmission mount? I assume the metal mount in most cases would be ok to reuse? Difficult to replace? 

I am sure at 268K, all of them need to be changed, though the engine is strong so leads me to believe a rebuild at some point, if done right, they should have swapped them. 

But then again, should have and doing are two very different things. 

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.
Weak motor mounts are a possibility but wouldn't be my first guess. They are pretty soft and allow lots of movement, for a reason. They are all readily inspectible to see if one is torn. There's more torque applied to the mounts in lower gears so I would expect more noise/banging around the harder you accelerate in lower gears. My guesses would be passenger side CV weak or worn or funky. Or a slippery, oily, or marginal clutch.

My gut feeling on a shutter-during-shift is a warped flywheel. But then again, it would be more prominent in first gear.

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
It's always more noticeable at lower RPM's while accelerating or if I drive a hair aggressive up to aggressive. Sounds like metal vibrating. I do not hear any clicks from the CV's, boots look new.
Sent from Nok Nok

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

I noticed this is more pronounced climbing hills, almost like a slight hopping feeling. Also seems the noise is centered around the shift arm/e-brake area.. 

I will check the mounts this weekend. 

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

"There's only two mounts for engine correct? Only transmission I could find is this http://www.oreillyau...C2251&ppt=C0338 which would insert into the transmission mount? I assume the metal mount in most cases would be ok to reuse? Difficult to replace? "

There is a separate transmission mount - the part you list in the URL above is for the gear shift mechanism - the original transmission mount part number is 50805-SB2-020 which is no longer available from dealer. Rockauto.com has them listed and I believe that these http://www.oreillyau...ivic&vi=1169186 are in fact the correct ones even though they state they are for an automatic. These are the same part numbers Rockauto lists for manual transmission. As far as replacement, the rear engine mount  is the most difficult (IMO) to get installed - all three require you to support the engine in some way while installing.

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

"There's only two mounts for engine correct? Only transmission I could find is this http://www.oreillyau...C2251&ppt=C0338 which would insert into the transmission mount? I assume the metal mount in most cases would be ok to reuse? Difficult to replace? "

There is a separate transmission mount - the part you list in the URL above is for the gear shift mechanism - the original transmission mount part number is 50805-SB2-020 which is no longer available from dealer. Rockauto.com has them listed and I believe that these http://www.oreillyau...ivic&vi=1169186 are in fact the correct ones even though they state they are for an automatic. These are the same part numbers Rockauto lists for manual transmission. As far as replacement, the rear engine mount  is the most difficult (IMO) to get installed - all three require you to support the engine in some way while installing.

Good to know, exactly what I was after. Thanks for the update

Dirtcircle86

• Speedy
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Drives: in circles. I did take a right out of turn four once and regreted it.

No idea on part #'s but the TEG rear is compatible.  The OEM TEG is a little beafier (more rubber) but has three studs on top.  One could be shaved off or pull the bracket and add the third hole.