Rust Restoration, How Bad Is Mine?

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 Honda CRX Si

I knew about two of the places upon inspecting before buying, but found three more spots in the back/under seats. How bad is this?

I talked with Danny at NW Classic Honda, he said he may be able to snip replacements out if not ridged. 

Passenger side floor board, touching carpet

5rHZucU.jpg

cDVrEGP.jpg

LH4xQoQ.jpg

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 13 July 2014 - 03:39 PM.

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

Drivers side bad patch job:

0b6pZwo.jpg

Driver side, behind seat, before storage tray:

O9d8OyB.jpg

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery

I will be honest with you, that is bad. 

It can be saved, but you had better be good with a torch and welder. Guys in England restore this sort of stuff all the time... but this is the sort of rust that would be a "Non-starter" for us in California who think rust is a mild oxidation on a chrome bumper.

While you are under there, take a close look at the panhard bar mount.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
Luckily I have a choice of a professional restoration guy or a friend who has the skills/tools. Hoping for the best, as the rest of the vehicle is complete and goof shape for 268K. Road salt should be banned.
Sent from Nok Nok

LeonL

Fix it ;)

9473597118_abcc50015f_b.jpg

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
I'll be honest, that pretty bad. Mine looked exactly like that. I cut the rotted parts out, and started to weld in replacement panels.. Tore the car down more, and found a bunch of hidden rust in the wheel wells (not just the rear arches), on the panhard mount, and the torsion bar mounts.. A that point, I decided to scrap it, because it was way worse than my skill level could fix.
I do love seeing people's builds on here where they fix the rust, and fully restore the car
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
I'm going by the shop for a inspection. Hopefully its not too far gone, I don't mind putting the money into since I am keeping it and the rest is in great shape.
Sent from Nok Nok

Mark L

It depends on what you call fix. If you plan to keep the carpet from being wet the windows defogged you could patch the holes.  Of course the car will continue to rust.

These cars were a bit flimsy new.. Then they get rusty they really flex. 

This car has more rust than you think. Places where it looks like there is good metal is nothing more than undercoating and rust.

Removing the rust is a huge job. Unless you dip it you are not going to get it all. It is going to come back.

If it was me, I would find another shell. In the end it would cost more to properly fix it.

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
The problem with that is time and resources. Not to mention most likely any within a 500 mile radius of Nashville will have rust as well. Salt is used, and then the sea. The only way would be a car from out west, but then transport etc. The guy that does this does professional show quality restorations, it will be expensive but as I said, keeping this car and the time/hauling factor.
Sent from Nok Nok

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip
Will be a few months before I have it done, before winter. I will keep my eyes out for a good shell. On car-part.com what should I search for, no bodies listed. What would be a good keyword that may indicate they have the whole shell?
Sent from Nok Nok

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
How much money are you in for right now?

Let's say you have spent $1000 on the car so far. Is it worth spending twice that amount to save this car? That just the rust repair, not the mechanical stuff. How much will the car be worth when you are done?

These are not hard and fast numbers. Your experience could be very different. But the basic question is how much do you put in and how much do you expect to get out? Are you rich enough to put money in that you may never get out?

I am guilty of putting in way more than I can ever expect to get out. But that is ok for me as this car is my hobby and I do not measure enjoyment in dollars.

Just be aware of what you are getting into before you begin.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

oblivionnewtonjohn

• Professional novice
  • PipPip

I'm the same way Scott. On the first page you'll see my cafe racer I just built, had $11k invested and took a bath on it. But my love for these cars is greater, this car will stay in the family and be passed on to my children. A lot cheaper than 5 years of car notes in the end, and it will be a car tailored to my specs. I don't expect to recoup or sell it.
Sent from Nok Nok

Edited by oblivionnewtonjohn, 14 July 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Mark L

Go to autotempest.com and search craigslist.

This looks interesting. say 700 for the car and 500 to get it home.. Sell parts, sell old fenders and header panel. Scrap the rest for $.

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

staticchmbr

• Work in progress
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2x crx in the rust graveyard, 87 crx si (building), 2004 wrx
    Garage View Garage
after scrapping my last rusted car, I kept looking around for a new shell. A member from here, eric L, was selling a bunch of rust free cars he got from Arizona, and other states in the rust-free areas. Luckily he was from new jersey, so it was an easy transaction for me.. I'm still working on it, but I don't have to worry about rust.. just trying to prevent it in the future
valvecover.gif
87 crx si (in pieces)
If you don't live for something, you'll die for nothing.

cbstdscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Image Gallery
Out here in California it is possible to find rust free, unmolested 1st gens for cheap.

I suggest that rust belt people buy a one way ticket to LA and drive home.
Posted Image

Form Follows Function