Welding Manifold To Turbo?

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

joshuagore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si
I was thinking instead of a adaptor plate just welding the manifold straight to the turbo. Any thoughts?'

Ohh this is a garrett t25.

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
I have seen it done, but it is not recommended...you are going to have a lot of stresses created during the welding process and if you FUBAR it - then what do you do? Also, how are you ever going to service the turbo if you weld it?

Kirk

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
And if the manifold is cast iron, good luck.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

Airjockie

• I LIKE RED (spray-paint)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
Mines welded....there is a trick to it.

Since the mani you will more than likely use is going to be cast, and the turbo enhaust inlet will more than likely will be cast also.....so both materials are cast iron...which is going to be a difficult item to weld. I got lucky...I made a freind where I work that is a professional welder, so I paid him $50 to just weld up the mani to the turbo inlet. Cast welding is nothing new...it's just a more of a pain in the a$$ to do. The person that did the welding is an FAA approved aircraft parts welder, and has been doing welding jobs for many ages....and he really knows his stuff. He heats up both cast pieces to equal temps to properly expand the the cast to the temps that it will see during operation, and then he runs his first bead of weld to the chanflered area that he ground down to make it a flush weld, so now the material is super hot, and the expansion is going into overtime, then he ran 2 more beads to the surface area and over the original bead on both sides of both casts, then he chipped off the slag, let it cool slowly, no water cooling becouse that would shock the weld and the cast, and then he inspected it for any defects or cracks...and it came out perfect.

As for the point of serviceing the turbo...even with the mani and the turbo inlet welded together, servicing/cleaning is easy....since the aluminum housing for the turbo and bearings do sepperate from the turbo exhaust inlet via a v-band clamp....at least on the TD04 turbo I have does.

Plus this is the junkyard set-up, so the mani and the turbo came from the junkyards...so that makes it cheaper in the first place....I would not do this to an expencive turbo that I would have bought...if I had the money. But if this is going to be your first time turboing a 18 year old car, expect things to break...these are strong engines, but they are not bulletproof...unless you rebuilt them to withstand gobs of power...then if you spent the time to rebuild the engine, and spent the money for the turbo...then get an adapterplate made up.
87 CRX SI, Wide body, and still not running...RB25DET?!?!?!
74 260Z....going to get rebuilt soon....
07 Subaru outback...Daily Driver...

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
QUOTE (Airjockie @ Sep 26 2003, 01:44 PM)
Mines welded....there is a trick to it.

Since the mani you will more than likely use is going to be cast, and the turbo enhaust inlet will more than likely will be cast also.....so both materials are cast iron...which is going to be a difficult item to weld.  I got lucky...I made a freind where I work that is a professional welder, so I paid him $50 to just weld up the mani to the turbo inlet.  Cast welding is nothing new...it's just a more of a pain in the a$$ to do.  The person that did the welding is an FAA approved aircraft parts welder, and has been doing welding jobs for many ages....and he really knows his stuff.  He heats up both cast pieces to equal temps to properly expand the the cast to the temps that it will see during operation, and then he runs his first bead of weld to the chanflered area that he ground down to make it a flush weld, so now the material is super hot, and the expansion is going into overtime, then he ran 2 more beads to the surface area and over the original bead on both sides of both casts, then he chipped off the slag, let it cool slowly, no water cooling becouse that would shock the weld and the cast, and then he inspected it for any defects or cracks...and it came out perfect.

As for the point of serviceing the turbo...even with the mani and the turbo inlet welded together, servicing/cleaning is easy....since the aluminum housing for the turbo and bearings do sepperate from the turbo  exhaust inlet via a v-band clamp....at least on the TD04 turbo I have does.

Plus this is the junkyard set-up, so the mani and the turbo came from the junkyards...so that makes it cheaper in the first place....I would not do this to an expencive turbo that I would have bought...if I had the money.  But if this is going to be your first time turboing a 18 year old car, expect things to break...these are strong engines, but they are not bulletproof...unless you rebuilt them to withstand gobs of power...then if you spent the time to rebuild the engine, and spent the money for the turbo...then get an adapterplate made up.

Airjock has it right... you need to find a shop thats reputable in your are and get it welded up.

A friend ghetto welded hsi, but he never got around to accualy gettint he turbo on.. he was having problems getting his chips to burn so he never put it on his only running legal car(CRX)

I still wonder if he is gonna get it running... hes gonna have to weld it better or get an adapter plate... he doesnt want an adapter plate due to the fact that he's using a 13b and hes trying to use the stock exhaust 02 housing and it wont clear the front sub frame of the 2nd gens with an adapterplate.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

joshuagore

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1987 Civic Si
I have a cnc machine shop so I just made an adaptor plate. 3d Machined it so it went from the circle to the rectangle smooth its nice.

josh