• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

f20bcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 honda civic hatch b20
    Garage View Garage

Has anyone ever thought of getting the rear end of a 86-87 AWD wagon and putting it into a 3G hatch or even a 1g CRX? would the rear sub frame of a AWD wagon bolt up or the rear end bolt up? Id like to look into the possibilities of doing it in the future and a adding a manual 2001 crx awd B series trans to my hatch and converting it AWD. Has anyone tried it?

B20 86 CIVIC IN CONSTRUCTION

f20bcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Guess its a unheard of topic?  :blink:

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage
It's been spoken of. You will need the front subframe form the wagon, graft the entire rear section from the wagon, and raise the tunnel.

f20bcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

That's to much work lol. Has anyone done it?

sedanman

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 84 crx dx 88 sedan 93 sedan
Any thing can be done with a cutting torch and a welder

Its not a bolt in procedure

And the people that build one off machines don't usually write a thread about it.

But you sound like your heading in the right direction it can be done if you put your mind to it

f20bcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Yea its not bolt in. But I love the sound of a AWD hatch with 700hp. I will deff want to look into it I do have to tools and time to do it. My main concern is figuring out if I could sent 60 percent of the power to the rear wheels since Honda AWD system only send 10 percent

mfvmx

Yea its not bolt in. But I love the sound of a AWD hatch with 700hp. I will deff want to look into it I do have to tools and time to do it. My main concern is figuring out if I could sent 60 percent of the power to the rear wheels since Honda AWD system only send 10 percent

So your plan is to take a rear end designed for 8ft-lb (10% of 80lb-ft) and put 420hp (60% of 700hp) through it?

Edited by mfvmx, 03 April 2016 - 07:46 PM.

f20bcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

If not 60 percent at least 50 percent to the rear wheels. A lot of people who do the ef,eg, and eks awd conversions with the crv drive trans have boosted b series builds or d series pushing 3-400hp. I have read on  some they were able to modify the power delivery to the rear wheels to 50-60 percent. I am wondering if that takes a special differential on the transmission or how hard it would be to achieve that .

f20bcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Im also aware that the rear end probably needs to be upgraded but that shouldn't be so hard should it?

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

I know a guy with a stage rally AWD Del Sol that he made using CRV parts. He's had trouble with the rear diff. I haven't talked to him lately, so I don't know the out come. Just put another complete engine, tranny, axles unit in the back, reliable 4 wheel drive, Dave

GeezRX

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: Only loaners at the present time!
    Garage View Garage

I think I remember an article in an old Road & Track (?) about a CRX buildup with OE engines front and rear.

"Old and usually in the way" - Check out my '86 3G build in "VIEW GARAGE"

rallyxcrx

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx

Yeah, I was petty sure I saw the same article, or at least dreamed it, Dave

f20bcivic

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    Garage View Garage

Well Seems like the drivetrain wont like the strain looking into it. Did quite a bit of research online most AWD civics don't have such power like id like to use Most set ups are all motor or low hp boost. Then found a few saying they had issues with high hp anything over 400 seems like to much issues. I am just going to get some good slicks for my hatch already have the BC suspensions set up and traction bars set up so with good slicks I shouldn't be to worried.

kedwards

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: '04 MINI Cooper, 2011 Honda Fit

I have 2 of the 4WD/AWD rear axles available, 2 3-piece center driveshafts (one with the viscous coupler and one without), as well as one transmission with cable shifter. http://www.redpepper...ic=37758&page=3

Keith A. Edwards
Suffolk, VA
1.75 1st gen. CRXs
former ECHC H5 Champion