Blacktop Intake On Crx Si

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

manag00

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members

hello all,

I am in the process of upgrading my engine and I would like to get a more free breathing intake.

Im thinking to use the blacktop intake (88,89 integra) with Cheddas adapter plate.

My questions is: What kind of changes/work would allow for this swap? do i need to change anything or just bolt it up and go?

Thank you

Liviu

rustycivic

• ol Dusty
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 91 Integra sedan, B20V for the daily, 87 CRX Si for play and a 97 Oddysee for the family stuff
    Garage View Garage

Hey Liviu, it's Dustin. I think the chedda's adapter is to run a 88+d series SOHC intake manifold, the z6 being a better option, the y8 is considered the best D series intake but the bigger plenum might have clearance issues especially with the added adapter plate. The main advantage to the newer ones is that the throttle body is significantly larger. If you look into the stock Si TB you'll see this...

9D89F946-2679-4CC0-A926-ED3910B37AC0_zps

As opposed to say a 56mm TB on the z6/y8 which would just be one plate, with a couple bypass holes for idle control etc vs the above contraption that looks like really the TB is a 35mm plus I'd assume some or all the air getting thru those other ports but still that whole thing looks to be about 56mm with a bunch of restrictions in the way. 

manag00

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thanks Denis,

But if I were to install the z6/y8 intake manifold, what other modifications are needed to make it work with my engine? other than making sure that it clears the firewall?

PuddleSkipper

• Ecomodder/Hypermiler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Si, 89 Civic LX, 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 84 Civic 1500S (R.I.P.), 85 Wagovan (R.I.P.), 84 Civic GL (R.I.P.)

No worries on it hitting the firewall as long as you are using stock motor mounts. Look at the clearance now and then add 1/2" or whatever thickness Chedda's adapter is. That motor sits pretty far forward in the engine bay and when Hasport designed the AFD2 newer D series swap mount they actually move the whole motor back a couple of inches. IIRC you may need a wire harness from whatever car you decide to take the intake manifold from if it is a different OBD. Right now you are pre-OBD but the connectors are all pretty much the same as OBD0 cars. OBD1 have some different connectors, I don't remember which ones, but some are the same just gray instead of white. And OBD2, which is what the Y8 manifold is has some different connectors as well. All the components/sensors work in the same manor, they just have different plugs on the end. You'll have to just go through them one by one to figure out which ones you need to change. You will need the fuel rail because it bolts to the intake manifold, but the stock FI hose should bolt to it. Other than that it's vacume hoses and stuff. Some stuff on the manifold you won't use, like on the Y8 the map sensor is on the TB but yours is on the firewall so you can just buy or make a block off plate. Also not sure about stuff like the idle air control valve, you may be able to wire it in, i believe the old idle air control valve was vacume operated. Take your time, ask lots of questions, and do a good job. If you do it you should do a write up and it would make it easier for others to follow your footsteps. :)

manag00

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Thank you PuddleSkipper. I am leaning towards getting an 88 integra blacktop intake manifold complete with injectors and TB and looking to see what kind of modification I would need to get it to work. I will write a write-up of the steps i took to make it work.

Thank you