Project "crxxx

• You cannot reply to this topic
63 replies to this topic

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 85 crx si, 86 crx dx (deceased)

UPDATE TIME

The white crx was great, but at the end of 2011 I decided to move to china.  I left the crx with a family member, and it got t-boned!  :mellow:

After much scheming I managed to return the US two months ago to a brand-new-to-me '85 si  :lol:  I bought it from rpr member MakDiesel (rather, I had my family buy it when traveling cross country, thanks dad!)  Yes yes, merry christmas to me.  

I just hit 260xxx miles.  The tires were cashed so I got some of that fresh craigslist rubber, on vw cabrio wheels.  Perhaps not the coolest, or lightest (32# per rim/tire), but the tread/$ was pretty good.  These wheels are 57.1mm to the honda 56.1mm bore, so I used some fancy rings to be safe.

DSC04005_zps68c46b65.jpg

I'm happy to be in this car, and I am formulating a gameplan this very moment  :ph34r:

MichaelStar

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2003 Jaguar S-Type R
Very nice! Love the louvers

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

This summer my header panel has been cracking and flapping on the highway, so I did a bit of ziptie stitching.  Cheap ass, reminds me of frankenstein.

P40831-133838_zps15c4eac9.jpg

Speaking of surgery, I've just about readied my pile of parts.  So far I have these integra parts:

'88 d16a1 rebuilt engine/trans ~20,000 miles ago

intake/exhaust manifolds

axels, hubs, calipers

ecu and harnesses, engine and bay to ecu, no under-dash

shift linkage

trans mount/bracket, timing side mount/bracket

speedometer cable

Still need to find:

vss module from EF dx cluster

fuel injection control box???? do I need this?

Is there anything I am overlooking?

P40831-134125_zps435ace6d.jpg

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Just a small update.  I acquired an 85si wing, in pretty rough shape now but I will eventually refinish it with the leatherique brand filler and plasti-dip technique.  Also acquired this prelude high power radio.  I got it with the whole bezel surround/glovebox, but plan on doing something like this with it.  I have access to lasercutting and 3d printing at work now, and know how to do all that so I should be able to make it look nice.  Just need to order an oem stereo pigtail and hook it up.

IMG_1557_zps9201f922.jpg

Also still looking for a few d16a1 parts.  Planning on swapping in next spring/summer.  This engine apparently has CDM camshafts.  Did canada get d16a1 or zc? or both?  I know I should just count the cam gear teeth but the engine is not where I'm living.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Small update, cut a piece of plastic for the equalizer face.  May use this textured or just flat.  At any rate this one got a bit scorched so a new one is in order.

IMG_1564_zps78d48294.jpg

IMG_1560_zpse1e024ff.jpg

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

I have just a couple questions about doing a blacktop swap:

1.  I don't have the integra MAP sensor (its in the emissions box right?), can I use the crx unit?

2.  People have told me I don't need the emissions boxes, but I can't find any info on how to delete it, esp. regarding vacuum lines.  Any resources for that?

3.  I have both shift linkages and I recall reading that a combination of the integra and crx pieces keep the shifter in the same spot, but I'm not sure which top/bottom combo it is.

I plan to get going with this next week!  Will post pics!  Thanks!

lordame

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: AH53GT

Love what you do with the white crx !

Pretty syre you will do better with the blue.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Today I did a fair amount of prep on the integra integra knuckles.  Nothing pic worthy, main thing was pressing out the old bearings.  I'm waiting for some extended studs before pressing the new bearings in with this method: 

http://honda-tech.co...cement-2685054/

Just waiting for better weather to pull the EW!

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
P50607-193339_zpsflo46tx1.jpg

Mounts are curing for the next couple days as i sort through the wiring.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
P50609-183137_zpsku4un3hw.jpg
i went ahead and got some extended studs! still working on wiring, starting to drag my feet a bit...

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
im not sure if thus will work but i went ahead and did it just to see. no, i didnt test for pulse with an ohmmeter which i should have done.

i have an 85 si cluster, and here is the speedo bit on the right compared to 86-89 integra bit on the left:
P50613-145545_zpsto4jgipx.jpg

well the number size and placement is all wrong, but i noticed the vss module is very simple, module is flesh colored:
P50613-145606_zpsoyw650yk.jpg
P50613-145628_zpsraelnvvf.jpg

here it is installed in the crx unit. the screw holes nearly line up perfect, although i couldnt remove a screw so i had to tie one side in place. the distance of the 'electronic bit' is the same on the crx unit as it was for the integra:
P50613-152941_zps8hjwnush.jpg

now i have the denso unit which is why i couldnt find the proper ef dx part, they all seem to be nippon seiki. so of course the NS integra vss doesnt fit my denso housing, so i had to open up the area, just drilled and filed:
P50613-153236_zpsiscwgdc4.jpg
P50613-155053_zpsxq1du784.jpg

so i will see if it is that simple. its just reading a magnetic field or something right? both speedo units had a painted/marker mark on the 'wheel' bit which makes me think that it could be this simple.

anyways, that point is still a bit far off. ive got the engine in, shifter linkage connected, radiator hooked up. my wiring is a mess and my main problem is with the different guides for blacktop wiring.

im planning to leave out all integra diaphrams and follow this method:
http://www.redpepper...showtopic=23799

it looks like a car but the electronics have me twisted up. ive got work monday and tuesday, then back at it next week.

any general wiring tips would be very helpful, thanks

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip

Ok  believe I have the wiring changes in order, but I've got issues.  Part of it is that this is my first swap and the other part is that the car already had some confusing wiring mods like extra grounds, custom fan switch, spliced harness parts, etc.  Here are my immediate problems:

When I turn the key one click to power accessories the key the fuel pump is not engaging.  I get oil light, ebrake light and battery light.

I when I turn the key for ignition I only get a springy plunk sound when I release the key whether it was held long or short.  I have tried switching the extended coil power/rpm wires from the EW coil location with the same result.

I have grounds from the trans, chassis, valve cover and thermostat.

Any ideas, thanks!

anjin

• redlinefever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 83 crx - kakaburra,83 gen1 Noir, 87 EF7 Glasstop crx, 83 gen 1 rebuild replica mugen racecar
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage

I'm a few weeks behind you on a blacktop swap. Still putting together the motor harness from a mixture of sources. However, here's my thoughts.

Fuel pump power comes off the main relay.  You shouldn't have touched that part of the circuit, so I'd try the normal trace back until you find voltage. You might check that the ecu is getting voltage as well - same arrangement for power supply.

When you say turn for ignition do you mean one click after accessories (Ignition II), or right through to start. Assuming the latter from your description, that means the starter motoror its coil  isn't getting sufficient volts.  So my quick check list would be battery voltage, fuses, is power getting to the starter motor coil, and is power getting to the starter motor itself. After that it is a trace back again to find voltage.

anjin aka Ian

"I can't believe it - Ive just been passed by a sh!tbox"

MakDiesel

• She'll do 80 mph in 2nd gear and 45+ mpg, not simultaneously
  • PipPipPip
    • Drives: '89 CRX HF-Z1 ~ no carpet, no A/C, no muffler, earplugs optional '97 Hatch DX-Y5 ~ Roll cage & lean burn
    • Image Gallery

So glad to see this old girl getting some new life & a new heart.  Still miss this car.

QUOTE (therealtime)
i see you did a world class rape on the rest of the vehicle lol.

P-Tail

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
Haha yeah! The EW was at 275k miles, burning a bit of oil but otherwise it was fine. Im going to miss the HF gearbox big time, that was a great mod!