Wheel Shopping? Check Out Link.

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

84DXReySiR

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1984 Civic Hatchback DX
Not quite catered to 1G CRXs or 3G Civics, but this link is pretty cool for other makes and models if you're in the market for some rims. Not much selection in rims, tho' but it allows you to select styles of rims they do carry, sizes and you have the option to lower and raise your particular vehicle. Check it out.

Joshua

http://www.autowaretech3.net/swonline/dvinci_low.htm

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
In the rush for bling, many wheel shoppers forget to consider the IMPORTANT factors in making a wheel purchase decision.

Offset
Weight
Diameter

Offset for Honda is 38mm. You can fudge a couple millimeters in either direction, but the ideal is to stay with the Honda offset.

Weight in your wheels is a performance robber. You may think that a pound or two could not make much difference......WRONG!!!! Every ounce counts.

Diameter is perhaps the misunderstood factor in selecting wheels and tires. Bigger IS NOT better (Thank God there is at least one place where that is true). A bigger wheel and tire will SLOW your acceleration. A smaller wheel will increase your acceleration. Think of the gears on a 10-speed bike and that is how the different wheel sizes work, sort of.

If you are after da bling, slap those 16's on your car. If you are looking for speed and handling, get 13's. 13x6 fit nicely under a 1st Gen's fenders and you can get fine performance rubber to fit.

Scott
Posted Image

Form Follows Function

87sirex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 crx si
you can get 16 inch wheels and put 205 40 tires on them and the diameter on the outside edge of the tire is the same as the stock set up. You can also get light weight 16s to keep weight at least at the stock level. So you can have the bling factor without any loss in performance. actually you will probably have a gain due to the agressive tread patterns of high performance tires.

oldschoolsi

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
I went for blng blng factor y0! 16 inch Konig Rated R's sport 205/40 series tires ph34r.gif

BlankReg

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 civic si hatch, '92 civic si hatch
i believe that 15 inch wheels with a 50 profile are about the same as well.

87Hybrid

• Too Many Projects Too Little Time
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado, 1987 Civic hatch, 85 Civic Sedan, 76 Blazer,2000 Jetta
    • Image Gallery
you can get 16 inch wheels and put 205 40 tires on them and the diameter on the outside edge of the tire is the same as the stock set up. You can also get light weight 16s to keep weight at least at the stock level. So you can have the bling factor without any loss in performance. actually you will probably have a gain due to the agressive tread patterns of high performance tires

Everyone sit down for this I am going to agree with Scott!

Even with light weight 16's you will not find a tire that is lighter than a narower, but taller tire in a 13". even if you can keep the whole setup weighing the same you are robbing power because the power is applied in the center of thecircle not on the edge. If you need proof go to a playground with 5 freinds and get on the merry go round with an open center. if your 5 freinds stand on the bars close to the center and you get in the middle and turn the merry go round it will be quite easy almost like spinning it with no one on it. then have you freinds get on the outermost part where the kids usually sit and spin it once again. It will take considerly more effort to make it go just as fast. To prove it even better have only 3 freinds on the outer ring as you try to spin it and 2 near the center and it will be easier than with them all on the outside but harder than when they were all in the middle. There is no total weight differance but a major weight distribution differance. It will also be harder to stop with more weight on the outer rim.
"AAAHHH Teamsters, If only I could be as lazy and surley as a Teamster."  Homer Simpson

87 Hybrid hatchback and 85 sedan.
user posted image
user posted image
SportInjectedClub

DSK 86CRX

• Team Tach-Out MotorSports
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 1986 honda crx hf/si and my 86 civic hatchback si
    • Image Gallery
anyone here know if the rota circuit 10's fit? im really thinking of getting those in 15's. so if anyone can help that would be great.

bryman10

• Sterno
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 2006 Acura TSX 6MT, 2012 Honda Civic LX sedan (wifey's); 1996 Toyota Celica GT convertible (for sale)
    • Image Gallery
Ok, .....gulp.....sit down for this guys.....
I AGREE W/ SCOTT!
It's all about rotational mass. 87hybrid hit it right on the head. Bigger wheel=more weight, bigger tires=more weight.
I went w/ a 15" wheel for the bling factor, as a nice looking agressive street wheel(albeit VERY light---RHCPO35's, 7.5lbs!) but I'm looking at getting into autocross or other race possibilities and you can bet I'll be running a 13" wheel.
Plus, if Honda put it a 13" on there from the factory, there's probably a damn good reason for it. People way smarter than me (Honda engineers) decided on a 13" ('85) and I'm sticking to it (for racing, anyway)...

bryman
Who the hell is this Zed C. person????
my ebay ID: sterno10

"Please", "I appreciate it", "thank you very much", "I'm sorry"= common courtesy....what a great concept (ESPECIALLY for business)!!

Posted Image

Posted Image
Wagonvan clan member

cbstdscott

• Swap in HF drums, check your cam timing
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2015 Contributor
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si, '07 Civic Si Sedan, '15 Scion FRS
    • Image Gallery
And I agree with Scott also!!!

Wait a minute.... I am Scott.

Edited by cbstdscott, 25 June 2004 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

Form Follows Function

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
i also agree i have tryed the 16 route. well i have the 16s on the car right now as a street car and i find im pushing the brake harder to stop and if you have a driveway higher then the road n or train tracks all over you will find your struts go FAST im in need of a new set on the front after 6 months of use and with only 3 months on the 16s on them.

i also have raced the 16s and they are slow for racing.

but a up i like is the with of them the hug the road really nice.

87sirex

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
I never really thought about the weight of the tire on the wheel just the wheel itself, but i guess you do have to take that into consideration.

CRX8Grand

• Hey I remember my password to this site
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Drives: 09 Civic Si
I also agree. I had some crappy 14" american racing rims with Kumho 716s on them, they werent that heavy to me.

I put on my stock 14" 93 GS wheels with Azenis... fucking hell those tires are heavy. I just found out I have Ebiach pro kit on my car lol.. The springs were black and I thought thye were just heated stock... explains the drop I had(like a 1.5 if that)... with these tires though, they just stick hard.. some turns kill the car with understeer, but thats expected.

Even the 14" Azenis are heavy as shit... I couldnt imagine what the 15's or even 17's weight!!!! I noticed alot of acceleration differences once I changed the tires... sucks, but for the handling upgrade it is worth it.

~2009 Civic Si 4dr~

1g Supremacy

Okay. Quick info-probing session.

What's the offset on:

Stock '87 Prelude Si wheels
Stock '87 Integra wheels

Those're the two possobilities I'm looking at right now..as both are at the junkyard for 30 bucks a wheel..May be able to talk lower for the Integra wheels since they're missing the center hubs.

And since we're on hte subject, what would be some good, light weight 13 or 14" wheels and street tire combos? Just a list? Maybe a link?

RexKrazy

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si/1987 Integra LS Hybrid
i like my 13x6 msw's for the track. got em used off some bmw guy.
Tony Palumbo
'86 CRX Si ZC

Erik

• Kia Rio Driver
  • PipPipPipPip
yeah i like my 13x6 wheels with a zero offset so they kinda stick out if u don't believe go look at my gallery they r from a nissan sprots car that my friend bought when he owned the car and they do quite well in turns