My Stock Sedan Build

• You cannot reply to this topic
255 replies to this topic

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
1) Ummm, .004 is the max for a shaved head ( i think, but I could be wrong)
2) Please do a writeup on the dizzy.
3) Hell yeah. If I knew how to do body work I would have done it on my hatchie and sedan.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

grjr

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 82 civic and others
QUOTE (chedda_j @ Jan 10 2006, 01:19 AM)
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jan 10 2006, 01:12 AM)
Hey chedda.  I want that molding!  Don't destroy it.

Lol k i wont. I was gonna. you didnt answer my "?" tho. should i go without it?

I think it will make it look alot cleaner. Notice the orange peel on the fender? Prety shitty eh.

Well in the next couple days i have to take my head to the machine shop to get the valve guide fixed. NO GOOD! I think im just going to get one swapped out from my other head. If i went to the dealer they would prolly want 20 bucks for one and it would prolly take a year to come in, so thats a "no-no" the way im doing it should be fine. do you have to have an adjustable timing gear on a SOHC engine if the head is shaved, oh lets say, .15? I wouldnt think you would have to. Thats not that much.

Things schedualed for tommorow include:
1.cleaning CRX engine (have to get all that gunk and head gasket off)
2.finding any parts i DO have for the sedan, ie corner lights.
3.finish off painting pass side fender.
4.Maybe if i get courageous, take my dizzy off and put lighter springs in. BTW. is there a right up on how to do this? I know how, but i would make one up if needed.

5. Post some new pictures

thanks guys for the help so far. Still got to get those tail lights and such, hopefully soon. I want to have this car done by Jan 20th.

for my sedan I plan on removing the plastic moulding from the sides. I think it would look better that way, the holes though, I don't think there is any wasy way to fill them in unless you can weld.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Vendors
    • Drives: 1986 Honda Civic 2.2L LSD, Acura TL Aspec
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (badpenny @ Jan 10 2006, 01:48 AM)
1) Ummm, .004 is the max for a shaved head ( i think, but I could be wrong)
2) Please do a writeup on the dizzy.
3) Hell yeah. If I knew how to do body work I would have done it on my hatchie and sedan.

Ya thats what i ment. I dont mean .15 i mean, .0015.
Alright i will do the write up. Il make sure to take lots of pictures.
Lol i dont really know how to do good body work either. I can be a perfectionist and spends about 10 hours on one part, like that header panel, or be quick and only spend 4 hours, like on that fender. I guess i havent showed any new pictures of the fender yet, i still did a good job, but if you look real real close you can see some tiny scratches in the primer. im hopeing the black will cover most of it.

10395168_748294558578686_901304337744719

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
for my sedan I plan on removing the plastic moulding from the sides. I think it would look better that way, the holes though, I don't think there is any wasy way to fill them in unless you can weld.

oh i can weld like a mother F'er. But im not going to do it that way. I got fiberglass tape that you use to do bathrooms when applying tiles. Well im just gonna throw some of that on the back and bondo it. I got rid of those holes in the headerpanel nicely and i just used bondo.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
Update for Jan 10th.

For today i just painted my engine bay, ran out of paint btw, so its a little spotty in some spaces. I also filled in those holes the fender. I ended up advancing my dizzy but instead of using lighter springs i just tack welded it at full advance. Sorry but no write up this time. When i get a better dizzy il redo the lighter spring dealy and do a write up then. Heres what i did for the fender holes, first of all the engine bay.

Engine Bay

The fender and holes before the bondo.

I used fiberglass tape as a backing.

This is the back of the fender with the first application of bondo.

The front of the fender after the bondo.

After smoothing out the bondo with 80 grit, then wet sanding with 220, 400 grit sand paper.

Second coat of primer after the bondo.

As you can see the holes are not visable any more. Once the fender drys from the black paint i will post a picture of the finish product.

Too many pictures? laugh.gif

Edited by chedda_j, 10 January 2006 - 07:29 PM.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
notenough pictrues.
"pictures tell a thousand words" dont they?

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (3gencivic @ Jan 10 2006, 05:33 PM)
notenough pictrues.
"pictures tell a thousand words" dont they?

Thats why i try to take as many as i can, so that i can inspire anyone who wants to do the things that im doing. show them thats its not that hard. Anyone can do a little body work if you take your time and smooth out all the scratches.

thanx

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
There is nothing more than i love is than a clean block. not totally clean yet. this ones for you bad penny. Only 15 minutes with a wire wheel on a drill and thats what i did. Easy to get that gasket off with the proper tool.

Picture of the engine.

Fender picture, like a promised.

Edited by chedda_j, 11 January 2006 - 03:17 AM.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I need to know how to hook up a EFP on my manual fuel pump system. In other words, i want to get rid of my old mechanical system. I have a EFP, but it only has one intake and one exhaust, but isnt this going to be a problem cause there is two fuel lines on these cars...isnt there?

BigOrange

• I pitty the fool aint got no honda
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1985 CRX SI, 1985 Civic Wagon Turbo, 1971 n600, 1972 n600, 1972 n600, 1991 miata, 2002 turbo protege 5
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
there is a fuel feed and fuel return line. There have been a few write ups on the mechanical removal and efp installation. Basically remove the mech. pump with its lever arm and all and make a plate that bolts and covers the opening on where it was. For a carby emp, I wouldnt know weither to mount it in the front or the back. I would install it in the back.
QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Feb 28 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suck

If a Hatch is Bread van, then what is a Wagon? A bread bus?
Wagoboost project, 7psi and giggling :)

Turbo Si Wagovan clan member

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (BigOrange @ Jan 11 2006, 08:03 PM)
there is a fuel feed and fuel return line. There have been a few write ups on the mechanical removal and efp installation. Basically remove the mech. pump with its lever arm and all and make a plate that bolts and covers the opening on where it was. For a carby emp, I wouldnt know weither to mount it in the front or the back. I would install it in the back.

K that makes sence. So one fuel line that runs to the carb for your main fuel, then the one that runs off the top of the carb for the return fuel. Im kinda stoked to do this, i love mods. biggrin.gif

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
I need to know where i would hook up the electroic switch. I need something thats going to turn on when i turn the car on correct?

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
bumpity bump.

k i got the engine in the sedan and its ready to roar. One problem....i forget which way the cam gear goes. Ok...the lines match up left and right horizontally correct?

Which way is up tho?

and how do you know if its on the right stroke on the crankshaft?

I need help putting the belt back on too, its being a cunt and i dont want to fray it.

3gencivic

• civics rule
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 01 jimmy4x4, 92 ranger custom longbox 2wd
ok for setting the cam i would say you would do this:
1)set the engine at tdc so that pistion 1.4 are flush wihtteh top of the block
2)make sure your dizzy is set at #1
3) set the cam into the head and ajsut it so it locks in to the dizzy.
4)put the cam gear on the cam it should ahve a keyway.
5)see if it lines up the lines should be level to the head
6)put the rockers on they shoudl be 1,4 up and 2,3 down
7)then by hadn turn onver the engine to make sure that your dizzy,cam and pistons are hitting the marks at the right time.
8) put belt on tha tim not to familer with hope some one can help there.

chedda_j

• Lives to modify
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Garage View Garage
smile.gif ok i made sure to mark on the pulley exactly where tdc was. Its actually a little forwards of the markings, about 1/8 inch. The camgear should be good. I just need to know which way is up, i think the wooddruff key is up, theres supposed to be a dent in the top to show the top. As for the belt im sure that all you have to do is losen the tensioner, which is kinda hard with the cover on there, so i think il be able to put a wrench down there and losen it. mad.gif Then when tighting it, you just turn the engine over three teeth and tighten the tortioner blink.gif .

Il be doing this first thing tommorow morning. smile.gif Need to find where i misplaced that stupid coil wire. I need a new dizzy cap, not impressed. lol. And a rotor, not impressed. Thats what happends when you loan someone your dizzy, my spare one that is. dry.gif Everything else is good tho, becides for some reason the ground cable is smoking when i turn over the engine laugh.gif the one on the valve cover, its prety shatty tho. il make a new one. laugh.gif

Edited by chedda_j, 13 January 2006 - 04:05 AM.