Dx Carb'd Cyl Head

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

n1smo

• Post-Whore of RPR
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1st Gen. 1987 CRX DX
ok i was looking at the diagram for the cyl head because i wanted to replace the head gasket or at least check it but im pritty sure its it now but when i looked at the diagram it shows nuts holding it down... now am i right in thinking that or is there bolts? and should i torque them down a certain amout or just till snug? tight? thanx ahead

Disco Stu

• Who's this guy?
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 CRX Si, 2006 Mazda6i Hatchie
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
You only need to torque them down if you want the engine to last. Translation? You damn well better believe they need to get torqued down, but it isn't that simple.
Some are cylinder head BOLTS, some are cylinder head NUTS. There are a total of 10 in all, and you have to torque them down in a sequence to 43lb-ft in two steps (first 22lb-ft, then 43lb-ft) so you avoid warping anything. You start with the exhaust side middle, then intake middle, intake second from left, exhaust second from left, exhaust second from right, intake second from right, intake leftmost, exhaust leftmost, exhaust rightmost, intake rightmost.

jiggerjosh

• IVIC
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 99' BMW _/_/_/ M3 Vert. & 97' BMW 325Ti M technik
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
7 of mine are bolts and the other 3 are nuts...
If only i knew what i was doing!!!

Gasoline Fumes

Is there any reason why you couldn't replace the bolts with a full set of factory studs? I'd love to know why Honda used both. smile.gif

rpr

• giggidy giggidy giggidy!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Super Administrators
    • Drives: Race: yeah right, who has time to race (2008 Civic Si, when I have time), Daily: 2006 Ridgeline
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
good point. dunno why they didn't, although I'me sure one of the engineers in the group can tell us.
"Toby, you are a thief of joy"

1stGenCRXer

• Mikuni's Druel
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: '85 Honda CRX DX with "stuff"
There's clearance issues around the rocker arms. A tall stud like the stock ones could get in the way, least that's what it appeared to me last time I was looking around wondering the same thing. I'm sure an ARP set would be more out of the way, but stock honda studs, don't think so. ph34r.gif

Harry
-Twin DCOE 40's still humming along

gtpilot

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 CRX Si - HYDRA, '86 CRX Si
    • Image Gallery
I replaced all the bolts with tuds on one of my race engines once...what a pain in the ass it was to get the head on and off. There is so little clearance for the stud as it passed through the head the it was a nightmare getting it to slide on...I immediately pulled all of the studs out and never looked back. BTW - I have never looked at the ARP stud kit, maybe now is the time...anyone got pictures of a stock stud vs. an ARP stud?

Kirk