Rebuilding A D16a1

• You cannot reply to this topic
9 replies to this topic

87CRXkid

• THE HUL-KOGAN
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX with 88 D16A1 swap, all round disc's,tokico HP's and more!
    • Image Gallery
If i bought all the parts, would it be possible to rebuild the motor on my own. I just want to get new bearings and seals and rings/rods/pistons/seals stuff like that, just OEM stuff to restore the power lost over the 200k miles on the motor. Will i need to take things to a machine shop or could i do must of it with regular tools?

If you dont mind, let me know what are the main things i should replace, i know i should have searched, but this is faster(supposed to be working on english project)

kenny86si

• Phoenix CRX
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX SI(sold)- 91 Mustang 5.0 LX
    • Image Gallery
you will need a machine shop, for one to bore your cylinders, for two, to rebuild your head. The rest, you could probably do yourself.

Dobajara

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: '86 Hydra CRX Si, 2007 Civic EX (DD)
Don't forget the factory manual. Don't bother with the $10 Haynes or Chiltons, get the Helms Service manual. I got mine for about $30 but you could probably get it cheaper somewhere else. If not, contact Helms. Lots of good stuff. Good luck.

crazi-85crx

boring isn't neccesary depending on the mileage. all you may need for the cylinders is a good hone. but like mentioned earlier, you could do the bottom/all gaskets and then get a machine shop to do the head.

CRXdan

measuring tools such as dial indicators, telescoping guages, vernier calipers, micrometers, feeler guages are necesary. I am taking the cnc machinist course at my local IT school and let me tell you after you go in that course u look at automotive engines a bit differentley
90 crx si
13.17@113 street tires low boost
86 samurai g16 turbo

87CRXkid

• THE HUL-KOGAN
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 CRX DX with 88 D16A1 swap, all round disc's,tokico HP's and more!
    • Image Gallery
yea, i hope to take a class similar to that,probably automotive/industrial(probably both) engineering at greenville tech whenever i graduate from high school. Planning to be a robotic technician at the BMW plant.

trevor72

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 92 civic Dx, 72 Mustang, 89 f250, and now, 87 CRX
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (87CRXkid @ Dec 2 2005, 07:16 PM)
yea, i hope to take a class similar to that,probably automotive/industrial(probably both) engineering at greenville tech whenever i graduate from high school. Planning to be a robotic technician at the BMW plant.

Depending on cylinder wall taper (this is where u'd use the micrometer/vernier caliper) to see if it was the rings that took the majority of the wear or the cylinder walls. If the taper is minimal, I'd say you can do the rebuild yourself. You'd need all the usual, rings, bearings (main and rod), gasket set, and oilpump is a great time to replace too. As for the head there is much to learn in there. If you've got a spare, or a junk head lying around, practice is good.

For the head rebuild, you could dissassemble the head yourself, saving some shop time and $$$, to do this, you'll need a valve spring compressor, and a small 'pen magnet' would be helpfull in cathing the locks when the valve spring and retainer are compressed. Other than that, it should be standard hand tools.

When you take the bare head to the machine shop, get then to have a look at the valve guides and seats. Those are most likely what will be needing attention. I would get all new valves and valve seals and lifters (or the lifters could be blead down and reused if necessary.

Just remeber the hardest part of the rebuild will prob. be making sure you know where every part goes back on and that everything stays organised during the rebuild. I will tell you this now, it will alway be more complicated than you originally thiught, because there are always small things that you didn't think off that will bite you in the ass as the project progesses. But it can be done, just don't be in a hurry when you do this. Do lots of relearch, and familearise yourself with the motor (look at lots of pics, and ask lots of qts.) In the end, it might be cheaper to find a lower mileage motor.

If you do end up doing this there are people that will help you. Just post it.

Trevor

jay_blu1983

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic SI with D16A1
    Garage View Garage
Yea and don’t go el cheapo and cut corners buy good parts and do it right. And if you’re un-sure go talk to a machine shop they will usually take the time to explain it to you if you’re giving them busyness.

The first time I rebuilt my blacktop I did every thing my self (I have done it before) I think I switched a piston. And I just got new rings/gaskets/bearings that’s it. Anyways it smoked like a siv when I put it back together and not too much power.

So I had to take it back apart get new rings gaskets bearings, crank turned, bored + new pistons and eagle rods (which wont fit on oem pistons), decked, head resurfaced, flywheel resurfaced, and balanced, head port and polished. So anyway if I did all that the first time it would have saved a lot of head ache. I think if I did another one I would have the shop do all that and assemble the short block...
Your Car MUST be fast!!!!

Cause you were halling ass whan I passed you

SportInjectedClub

RIP old Blu/gray SI 1985 to oct 2004
RIP Silver/Black DX 1984 to July 2007

kaymo

• Mr.Ididntseeyousittingthereofficer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 74'vert Blazer, 84redrexHF (RIP), 87blackrexSI, 91STDhatch(resurrected for beater)(RIP again)
lifters bled down?

uhhhh

if im not mistaken hondas dont have hydrolic lifters
at least i hope not caz if so the wrong ones are in my d16a1 smile.gif

oh and around here, and as far as ive seen anywhere else, there are NO low mileage d16a1's. i think mine might be bc it looks like there is some yellow paint and its too clean to be at 260 (where the car i took it from is at)
i dont think ive seen one under 200k period. and most of the time, ragged like hell
QUOTE (kjeffery @ Apr 17 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet again Scott, you have all the answers

QUOTE (cbstdscott @ Apr 17 2009, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All the answers are in the Kakabox build thread.

QUOTE (Lymitliss @ May 26 2009, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohh yeah I guess that makes sense. King Kaymo has all the answers :lol:

mesean13

• Ohne Scheiss.Somewhere in Germany.
  • PipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87'civicsi (ZC1)
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (kaymo @ Dec 5 2005, 07:57 AM)
lifters bled down?

uhhhh

if im not mistaken hondas dont have hydrolic lifters
at least i hope not caz if so the wrong ones are  in my d16a1 smile.gif

oh and around here, and as far as ive seen anywhere else, there are NO low mileage d16a1's. i think mine might be bc it looks like there is some yellow paint and its too clean to be at 260 (where the car i took it from is at)
i dont think ive seen one under 200k period. and most of the time, ragged like hell

I got lucky when I found my zc with 140,000km(86,000miles) and it was a roachbomb.
Think before you speak, learn before you think, listen so that you may learn to think before speaking a bunch of shit!

No fried rice please!