3g Sold In Emmaus, Pa

• You cannot reply to this topic
28 replies to this topic

Sgt. Pepper

Just found a '85DX for sale in my town. Steel blue, steelies, auto, a/c, cass. with 91k miles. The thing is clean with minimal rust on the underside of the rear wheel wells. Interior is nice with just a few tears and cig. burns. Asking $2200 ohmy.gif This would be a perfect car for my kid as long as he likes it. Funny thing is, this car was owned by a guy 2 blocks from me and I never got the chance to stop in and inquire about it. I may have to ask him about it now. I think $2200 is high and will try to get that down a bit. As soon as my kid gets home we'll go look at it.

So how much would you pay for this car? It's really nice!
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

Super_Cricket

• Daddy are you gonna Kill Mommy? Thats up to Mommy aint it?
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Member
    • Drives: Civic SI 1986, Crx SI 1985, 1993 Integra LS
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Oct 4 2007, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just found a '85DX for sale in my town. Steel blue, steelies, auto, a/c, cass. with 91k miles. The thing is clean with minimal rust on the underside of the rear wheel wells. Interior is nice with just a few tears and cig. burns. Asking $2200 ohmy.gif This would be a perfect car for my kid as long as he likes it. Funny thing is, this car was owned by a guy 2 blocks from me and I never got the chance to stop in and inquire about it. I may have to ask him about it now. I think $2200 is high and will try to get that down a bit. As soon as my kid gets home we'll go look at it.

So how much would you pay for this car? It's really nice!

I wouldnt pay more than 1500... and that is if it was spotless rust free.... yes it has low miles and yes its a nice car but its still a low horsepower carburated engine.... I have bought and sold lots of cars over the years and I have found out that.... There is always a better deal out there and if they ask too much for something... you can always get it cheaper.

Sgt. Pepper

Stopped by to look at it with the kid and it's an '85DX with 91k, auto, cassette, a/c, steelies, EW1 motor with new timing belt/head and headgasket. Apparently the PO broke a timing belt and bent valves - I guess he didn't wanna spend money to fix it so it ended up for sale at the motor shop after the repairs. Exterior is excellent with minimal rust, the header panel is mint, the tailights aren't cracked, headlight buckets intact, no broken glass. No bumper sag and all the molding is intact. Interior is nice, small tears in seats but clean, carpet isn't bad, headliner is mint, interior plastics un-cracked. In the glove box is a bunch of paperwork from what appears to be all the repair work done on it - I didn't look too deep. Might be some rust in the front floorpan corners, but not too sure - it looks good underneath. Rear hatch area is rust free. It needs a good cleaning, touch up paint, dash clock and right side mirror. We started it up and my kid wanted to know if it was really running - it's THAT quiet. We didn't drive it, but we will tomorrow with cash in hand. Now how much would you pay for it?

I'm thinkin' $1500?

We will post pics tomorrow also.

Sarge (and kid)
Adding power makes you faster in the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere. - Colin Chapman

Sgt. Pepper

Who wants to do a carfax on this car for me? unsure.gif

LocDoc

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 87 CRX SI,87 Ford Ambulance (460 cid)... 87 CRX DX (project)
    • Image Gallery
i got a clock for you
LD
Momma said there be days like this

~zeus~

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: '87 Honda Civic si "BetSi" RIP, 2001 Mazda MPV, 2007 Kia Spectra
Sounds like the guy's trying to recoup some of the money spent on rebuilding the head and doing the timing belt.
It sound like it's in great condition.
I probly wouldn't offer more than $1250.
10 years ago I bought an '83 Civic 1500 for only $500 that had 85k miles and the a/c blew cold.

Just my 2 cents biggrin.gif
QUOTE (Optimus Prime @ Transformers Season 2 Ep. 1)
"Megatron is behind this. I'd bet my titanium torsion bars on it."

oldschoolhondacivic

• R.I.P. Oct.27,2007...its not fair
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 1986 civic dx
bought mine with68k on the odo.great paint, no rust, nop problems near perfect for 1000.00
just my deal though...everyone if different..the old lady didnt need it anymore considering she died........
money pit

Omega Mugen

• Dug Diggler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 87 CRX w/Si motor, 86 Civic DX Hatch, 2001 Prelude
Sarge, I will sell you my Civic for much less. Let me know if you want to look at it.

Going to Hawaii? You need a Dune Buggy.

WTB: 14x8 or 9" Panasports or Watanabe RS.

WTB: 3g Civic hatch gauge cowl, brown.

WTB: ZC header--FOUND

paisatuner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 85 honda civic hb
    • Image Gallery
$2200 thats too much I think I have 2 civic 85 end 87 I pay $300 for the 85 and $50 for the 87 just becaus it has the timing belt broke but $1500 thats much better than 2200

Edited by paisatuner, 05 October 2007 - 01:55 PM.

Sgt. Pepper

Here are the pics:

Here is more info: Has rear mudflaps, tilt, new water pump, brand new tires, drives/starts/idles well. Good panhard mount. No visible rust underneath, but I am pretty sure there is some in the usual spots in the floor under the dash. Like I said before: shaved head with new valves/springs and such, new timing belt, new gaskets, water pump. Won't take less than $2000. My kid is ready to pull the trigger, but I am hesitant. I know $2000 is alot, but it did have a bunch of work done on it that we won't have to worry about (+ new tires and very minimal rust).

Airgazm86

• Ungawa!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: '86 Std. hatchback, '06 Mitsu EVO IX SE, '15 Mitsu Lancer EVO X FE
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
Ahhh! I want those seats and header panel!!!

$2000 seems a bit steep to me, especially for a PA car, but the car seems to be in great shape for its age.

Seriously, I would drive to Emmaus today and buy it if it was a 4-speed.

DSMTimeline.jpg

Sgt. Pepper

He will probably end up getting it, I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy for letting him spend 2k on it. I keep telling myself: "it has had professional head work done on it, a new timing belt, head gasket, water pump, tires, minimal rust and was FUN to testdrive". It's really in pretty good shape.

badpenny

• tinker, tinker....BOOOOOOM!!!! then I run around
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Contributing Mod
    • Drives: Don't, because they don't run and I am a crappy mechanic.
    • Image Gallery
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Oct 5 2007, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He will probably end up getting it, I just need someone to tell me I'm not crazy for letting him spend 2k on it. I keep telling myself: "it has had professional head work done on it, a new timing belt, head gasket, water pump, tires, minimal rust and was FUN to testdrive". It's really in pretty good shape.

I think If you can get a guarantee for the work performed It can very well be worth it.

BTW: I have a passengers side mirror for it.
Honda, because it's hard to look baller in your mom's Volvo.Posted Image 
The entire tool selection at Sears or the contents of a Snap-On truck will do you no good if you do not know how to use them.

Remedy

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 87 Civic Sedan, 03 Accord LX, 06 Tundra Double Cab 4WD Ltd, 98 Neon Sport
QUOTE (Sgt. Pepper @ Oct 5 2007, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Give the guy your number and tell him to call you when he is ready to sell. At $1500 you are doing him a favor, its only worth $1000... probably less. Its not your fault he spent more on repairs than the fair market value of the car. There is nothing special about it, fair book for that car (actually if it were newer like an 87) in my state (North Eastern CA) with no rust is only like $1100.

It looks nice but if he wont deal then pass, your be better off spending the money on a fuel injected model without the goofy and complex emission system on the carbed models.

OTOH if you really want it and don't want to pocket the $$$ for custom exhaust and rims, then go ahead.

Edited by Remedy, 05 October 2007 - 04:17 PM.

4N2NR

• Fossil of the forum
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2012 Contributor
    • Drives: 1986 CRX Si, 1990 CRX Si, 2013 Cadillac SRX, 2003 Hummer H2
    Garage View Garage
You are not crazy for wanting such a clean car. Show him $1500 cash and then split the difference if you have to and offer him $1750. By the the time you do tax, title and tag you'll be at $2k invested.
I put the FUN in dysfunctional!
Just tell her you are fixing it for someone and it is not yours and when they never show up to pick it up tell her you are keeping it for all of the work you put into it.

SEX - StreetEXtremes