New Transmission Sub-forum (tore Apart Ka5mt)

• You cannot reply to this topic
33 replies to this topic

bigboi407

• Anti-Government Official
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2011 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
I didnt know much about transmissions when i first started this thread, but now i can rip mine apart, throw all the parts in a pile and put it together Easily... I see alot of questions and discussions about transmissions, with no place to put them... i made a request to an Admin to see if we can get a transmission sub-forum, i want to know what everyone else thinks

EDIT: 11/13/11

Thanks everyone who voted on the transmission sub-forum, as you see it has been created, and within a few days i will post a complete guide on how to rebuild a Honda KA5MT transmission.. which will help people that have to rebuild their own transmissions for the first time And for people that want to change the differential because it involves the same steps..
1984-1987 HONDA CIVIC CRX PARTS FOR SALE 1/25/12

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..

Mark L

http://www.redpepper...Civ-fsm-chap15/
1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com

bigboi407

• PipPip
    • Drives: 1998 Dodge Dakota 2.5 2wd, 1986 Civic Si, 1990 Accord DX, 1994 Suzuki RF900R
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Mark L @ Nov 4 2011, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ohmy.gif ill take a look, totally forgot about that DERRRRRRRRRRRR.... (i totally suck at searching for things)

EDIT: okay now i get why im confused... ill figure out what i did wrong tomorrow, as for the 2nd gear syncro what do i do, cause if i can fix it, why not keep a spare tranny, or sell it if need be..

I drive with a Lead-foot for Two Reasons--> 1. i like to be out front of the idiots that dont know how to drive 2. i like to the hear the sound of my engine..

bigboi407

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
edited the original post instead of making new thread....

i printed the whole chapter 15... and i went at that tranny like a BOSS!!!... took it apart and it was Easier for me to throw all the parts in a pile and put it together as shown in chapter 15, but i noticed one of the gears has some wear in the middle... From what idk... but i will be posting pics tomorrow

i dont really wanna buy a new syncro.... but i have yet to drive my civic and see if its transmission is any good, the previous owner said it shifted fine, she doesnt remember grinds...

bigboi407

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
no oone here like to talk about transmission internals?????? ph34r.gif

The photos below may seem intimidating to some... But the task is not.... its Actually pretty simple, it can only go together one way

Step #1: Open transmission by removing the 5th gear housing (Chapter 15 Page 7 #1):

Step #2: removing the spring pin to the 5th gear fork, then remove the fork and 5th gear syncros/gears (Chapter 15 Page 9):

Step #3: remove 32mm Nut and remove 5th gear:

Step #4: take out all housing bolts and remove the housing:

Step #5: Remove shift forks/plate AND Reverse gear (Chapter 15 Page 10 #1 AND Page 11):

Step #6: remove the mainshaft:

Step #7: Remove Countershaft:

Step #8 Dissassemble Countershaft (Chapter 15 Page 15):

Step #9: Remove differential to replace bearings:

Bubba

• In the left lane
  • PipPipPip
    • Group: 2013 Contributor
    • Drives: 87 Civic Dx hatch with 1.5 CVCC and auto trans, devaced 87 CRX HF with rebuilt 1.3
Wow- great sequence of pics. This should give other RPR members the courage to tear into their trannies to ID problems, noises etc.

I'm interested in seeing close up pics of the worn gear/synchro.

JEA86

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2010 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 1987 Honda CRX Blacktop Swap, 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD, 2012 Toyota Rav4
    Garage View Garage
agree i think this should be stickied
The Original CR-Z driver

bigboi407

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
Thank you guys..... thats the result i was aiming for.... if were gonna sticky it.. Where r we gonna put it ??? theres no transmission forum... Mods Contact me about the sticky.. if im gonna do a stickey its not gonna be half ass... ill post a Ton more pics with detailed instructions

I think the Gear is worn... i am not absolutely sure.... all the gears have this little etch in the middle or outer edge of them so it may be how its supposed to be.. idk this is my first trans, its a spare transmission, so i figured A. i could master it.. or B. say the hell with it... but they are pretty simple, now how the power transfers from the mainshaft to the counter shaft, i have yet to figure out 100%

Notice that the Gears Farthest to the right, has a little line across the middle.. i noticed they all have this feature, but all of them look different than this one..

Madkore

• Leadfoot
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2014 Contributor
    • Drives: 1984 Honda Civic Si - For smiles and laughs, Original Owner, 1966 Ford Mustang - 5 speed trans, 4 wheel disks, 1968 Ford F250 - Big Ugly
    • Image Gallery
BUY THIS!

Transmission Overhaul Kit for 5-Speed First Generation CRX, Civic. Includes bearings, seals and all five synchronizer baulk rings.

Honda Transmission Kit Item Number 40200 $189.00

http://www.rivergate...erformance.html

Good luck!

MK
You're Mad!

Well thank God for that, 'cause if I wasn't, this would probably have never worked.

Captain Jack Sparrow

bigboi407

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (Madkore @ Nov 7 2011, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BUY THIS!

Transmission Overhaul Kit for 5-Speed First Generation CRX, Civic. Includes bearings, seals and all five synchronizer baulk rings.

Honda Transmission Kit Item Number 40200 $189.00

http://www.rivergate...erformance.html

Good luck!

MK

Thank you Madkore, if i Ever get around to building a Side Draft or Bike Carb setup, i would put a new transmission, because id be building the motor from scratch, this transmission was from my 1st gen CRX, so i guess ill just hang on to it..

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
QUOTE (bigboi407 @ Nov 7 2011, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Notice that the Gears Farthest to the right, has a little line across the middle.. i noticed they all have this feature, but all of them look different than this one..

There is nothing wrong with that, that's how they all (pretty much) look. It's how the gears are machined. If that's what you thought was wear you have nothing to worry about, that gear looks to be in near perfect shape to me.

You also don't have to remove 5th gear from the countershaft to get the cases apart either. It fits through the hole the outer (upper sitting on the bench) bearing without a problem. I see why you did it that way since you didn't release the snap ring around the bearing (#6 on pg 15-10). Either way works if you're going to disassemble the countershaft.

Just make sure you are able to put a dimple into the nut on the end of the countershaft when you re-assemble it. They can loosen if you don't.

I see you have a later, 86-7 gearbox case too. What's the final drive ratio in it?

Jay

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

bigboi407

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Nov 7 2011, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is nothing wrong with that, that's how they all (pretty much) look. It's how the gears are machined. If that's what you thought was wear you have nothing to worry about, that gear looks to be in near perfect shape to me.

You also don't have to remove 5th gear from the countershaft to get the cases apart either. It fits through the hole the outer (upper sitting on the bench) bearing without a problem. I see why you did it that way since you didn't release the snap ring around the bearing (#6 on pg 15-10). Either way works if you're going to disassemble the countershaft.

Just make sure you are able to put a dimple into the nut on the end of the countershaft when you re-assemble it. They can loosen if you don't.

I see you have a later, 86-7 gearbox case too. What's the final drive ratio in it?

Jay

i honestly dont have a clue... the transmission came from a 1987 CRX DX Vin#JHMEC1324H5037437, i dont know where to find the info about the ratio's

jsgprod

• The Beach....The only place where salt LOWERS your blood pressur
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: 2009 Contributing Member
    • Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE and 2001 F250 SD
    • Image Gallery
It's easy, just count the teeth and divide. You don't need to though, I did it from your pictures. Your ring gear has 68 teeth on it which, when divided by 4.25 (the later DX FD ratio) gets you 16. Which, I'll bet you is how many teeth you will find on your pinion gear.

If you love the Elise, drive a Se7en - Caterham or whatever...
It has even less content than the Elise, is less graceful looking
...and changes direction like a ping pong ball whacked by Thor.

scull+gif+1.gif

jsgprods Gallery

bigboi407

• PipPip
    Garage View Garage
QUOTE (jsgprod @ Nov 7 2011, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's easy, just count the teeth and divide. You don't need to though, I did it from your pictures. Your ring gear has 68 teeth on it which, when divided by 4.25 (the later DX FD ratio) gets you 16. Which, I'll bet you is how many teeth you will find on your pinion gear.
when i took the housing off.. the snap ring was just sitting on the bearing cap.... so i have no clue what its purpose is nor where it goes, do i put the cap under the ring then snap it in?

well im not gonna go take a look... i put it back together for now.... if you guys want me to take a ton of pics in step by step, so everyone can do the same with no fear.. i may make a poll for a Transmission subforum, and ill make a post sticky worthy with step by step pics and instructions on how to rebuild this transmission

Mark L

I missed something, what did you repair or rebuild? Did you fix the issue?

QUOTE (bigboi407 @ Nov 7 2011, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well im not gonna go take a look... i put it back together for now.... if you guys want me to take a ton of pics in step by step, so everyone can do the same with no fear.. i may make a poll for a Transmission subforum, and ill make a post sticky worthy with step by step pics and instructions on how to rebuild this transmission

1989 Integra RS
1991 Civic RT4WD
1994 Integra
icerace.com