86 Hf Idling Way Too High When Cold

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

goelette

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF Straman and 1986 CRX AS (edm ZC)
Hi everybody,

I bought an 86 HF straman last year, but it has some issues. It idles way too high when cold, about 2500 to 3000 rpm. If you just start driving it is no longer a problem, and after 5 minutes of driving the idling is good.

I really have no idea where to start looking. In my country we never had carburated crxs, only mpfi, so I know nothing about carbs. Also, its hard to take it to a shop because no one here
knows these kind of complex carbs from honda.

it has an automatic choke.

the shiftlight doesnt work.

it has ac, but not sure if it works.

I cant do easy testdrives because the car is not registered yet, and I need it running good before I can get it registered....

questions:
- could it be the carb itself? What do I have to look for? How to fix it?
- could it be the ECU, does it even have an ecu?
- I read a lot about devac here. Looks complicated. I have never ever seen so many vacuumlines on a european car before. Would devac help me? Or make it worse?
What are the benefits of devac?
- i'm reluctant to swap the engine although I have a 1.6 zc and a 1.5si on the shelf, because I would like to keep this rare straman stock. But if I were to swap to Fuel Injection, would it be a difficult swap? Can I use standard fuel lines? I have done a h22swap ino my ef, so got some experience there.

I hope someone can help me...! Thanks in advance!

greetings from Holland
Tom

hebrewjew

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Drives: 86 CRX HF

It is suppose to idle high between 2500 to 3000, it is designed to. Check out the sticker under the hood. Tap the gas pedal and it should idle between 1500 and 2000. Then tap the gas pedal again and it should idle normal (as it warms up). Those are the 3 warm up stages.

Edited by hebrewjew, 06 July 2014 - 01:21 AM.

goelette

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Drives: 1986 CRX HF Straman and 1986 CRX AS (edm ZC)
No, it really hurts your ears if a car is revving at 3000 rpm constanly, especially when cold... thats really not normal, it cant be :)