1987 Honda Civic sedan

EC4

1.5L 3 bbl

D15A2

Automatic

Completely Stock

Purchased from the orginal owner

Not a daily Driver

I come from the school of "buy the best gas, and push the timing". I've had this car for over 6 months now and it's been great, just rolled over 68K miles. Although these cars aren't fast bt any means, I figured I'd try to get as much pep out of it with the factory settings, using a wide band to make sure things don't get out of hand. Here's what I've found/ Questions:

With 93 octane gas i can advance the timing as far as factory allows without pinging. Thats a first for me... Has anyone else notcied this? This set up has yielded the best results as far a power goes.

While running this set-up I run lean at idle, but excellent from 1200 rpms an up, as long as I have my foot on the gas pedal. Do these cars run lean at idle normally, or should I adjust the idle enrichment screw?

I have not checked that the vacuum secondaries are working to the best of its ability. I have seen the modification on here where you can turn it into mechanical secondaries. I'm changing mine over this weekend to see if there's any merit to running like this.

The front torsion bars are staying as they are, it's just not worth messing with them for me. New shocks made a world of difference.. The rear springs are sagging. I'd like to buy a stiffer set of springs, but don't want to get an Integra rear set and cut to fit. Does anyone know the stock height of the OEM rear springs (civic) ? The stock height of the same year rear Integra spring? I figure if they are 1.5 inches taller (Integra) I can get a set of 1.5" lowering springs for an Integra and they should work in the rears of my 1987 Civic sedan.

I shoukd add that all the improvements in power were measured the old school way, by making small adjustments and running it at the strip (1/4 mile). It will never be fast, but this is the first honda I've ever owned, and the first automatic I've ever owned, and was interested in seeing how mush faster I could get the original 19.62s 1/4 mile time to be.

Anyone who has some tips, pointers or advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

PS- Anyone with a soft break peddle, new calibers, new brake master cylider, and a good cleaning and adjustment of the rear brakes (if you can get them off) made this one of my favorite vehicles to stop with.

RyanM923

• Granny
  • Pip
    • Group: Members

Cool info, I have an auto '87 hatch myself.  I have very soft brakes as well and will look into what you said. 

Running premium gas and andvancing the timing, what kind of improvement did you see in the 1/4mi time?

3rd gen sinner

• Slowpoke
  • PipPip
    • Group: 2016 Contributor
    • Drives: 15 Kia Sorento, 86 Civic
    Garage View Garage
By the FSM, you are suppose to use a propane injection system to adjust the mix. Without, i dont think you will get the results you want. My car ran great on 93 and crap on anything else.
For the rear springs. You have the option of the Teg lowering springs. I like the 2.5" coils from hypercoil. You can get them in any height and spring rate you want for pretty cheap. To run them you will need adapters from CheddaAuto.
If want a little better stopping power, integra brakes are the way to go. I took my build a little further and add jdm twin pots with 11" rotors.